Different spin on car rental question - which companies are the most convenient?

uncletr21

I don't travel for work so not a "member" but we have AAA but not sure if that helps with car rentals anyway. Lots of threads reference best deal, cheapest but we'd be booking midsize or larger (just feel safer with the family driving in new areas) so not too concerned about saving $15-20, etc.

Any car rental companies really stand out in particular ports as far as quicker shuttle service or more staff to process pax quickly to get you on your way? Or ones to avoid?

So far I've booked with Dollar in Hilo.

Thanks for any recommendations you might have.

I don't travel for work so not a "member" but we have AAA but not sure if that helps with car rentals anyway. Lots of threads reference best deal, cheapest but we'd be booking midsize or larger (just feel safer with the family driving in new areas) so not too concerned about saving $15-20, etc.

Any car rental companies really stand out in particular ports as far as quicker shuttle service or more staff to process pax quickly to get you on your way? Or ones to avoid?

So far I've booked with Dollar in Hilo.

Thanks for any recommendations you might have.

I go by price because my experience has been that there's not a significant difference otherwise.

The last time in Hilo we rented from Enterprise which was located along the road to Volcanoes NP, the Mauna Loa Mac farm and Walmart/Long's Drugs for supplies. They picked us up at the pier & gave us a full size car even though we only paid for a subcompact.

In Kauai don't remember what company we used but think that most are at the Lihue airport not too far from the pier.

We used Thrifty on all the islands our last Hawaii cruise. Join their club and if you make reservations, they will literally have your paperwork ready when you get there. Was totally painless and got great cars on all the islands.

Archived