Best time to board ship

travelling mom

Will be on PO America on August 13. Ship leaves at 8:00pm and I believe that you can start boarding at 1:00pm. I would like to try to avoid the early crowds, what is a good time to board?. Does anyone know what time the required munster drills are?. Just want to make sure that we have enough time to get settled before the drill. Thanks

Usually they require you to be on board no later than one hour prior to departure time. If you arrive mid afternoon that will give you plenty of time to get on board, locate your cabin and eat prior to muster. I find the worst of the crowds are early birders so you should miss them by arriving later in the day.

We got to the boat at 12:15. There was a pretty big line, but they were already boarding. It took us about 30 minutes to get through the boarding process. We had lunch, then left the ship to go shopping around 1:30. The boarding line was huge at 1:30!! When we came back around 4:00, the line to board was very small. I think we did the muster drill around 6:00. They checked your names off a list at your muster station, and announced over the PA system that anyone who skipped this drill, or where not on board yet would be required to attend another session later. Hope this helps.

Call me crazy...but I kind of like the crowds and lines while waiting to board the ship. There is a feeling of anticipation and excitement in the air which is contagious. The last two times we have embarked at the HNL pier, there was cold juice and water being served while waiting in line. I take the time to look around at our fellow cruisers....take mental notes...and then see if I can remember them when I see them around the ship. Everyone seems to be in such a big hurry.....remember folks...you are on VACATION...relax, stay calm and enjoy. Why the rush?????

Board as early as possible, check into your cabin and grab lunch. Then, you'll have time to do a little exploring. We wandered over to Chinatown and then Aloha Tower Marketplace.

Becki

How far away is Chinatown from the pier and is it within walking distance? Thanks

Chinatown is not terribly far from the pier. We've walked it a couple of times, from Aloha Tower Marketplace, when we've been on Oahu. The worst part is crossing Nimitz Hwy, which is a very busy road, but not difficult to do if you're careful to cross at the lights. Check out this website for a map that will give you some perspective: http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu_pwchinatown.html

Also, http://www.chinatownhi.org gives extensive info on what's available there, restaurants, lei shops, etc., and also has some info on self-guided walking tours. It's a neat place to poke around for awhile (during daylight hours).

Becki

havent cruised to hawaii-----------but we traditionally board as early as possible-------------usually book a suite so there is no waiting to check in- get on board---------check out the cabin and off for a leisurely lunch- after lunch if we have not been on the ship before a stroll around the ship---back to the cabin where hopefully our luggage is waiting and we unpack -- then we meet up with cc people during the sailaway and then back to the cabin to get llifejackets for the drill------------a drink before dinner and now its official we are off on another cruise

Archived