RSVP MSC Divina 2.15.14

bradpole

If people want to discuss Jeff's departure from RSVP or issues with RSVP/Atlantis, I would suggest starting a new thread on the regular Gay and Lesbian board and leave this discussion on the Roll Call board to the topic of the 2014 RSVP cruise on the MSC Divina.

I would hate to see this board shut down because of it going off topic.

I understand your point, Peter, but I think the discussion of Jeff is over. However, since this is an RSVP cruise, and we are concerned about the company and how it will affect or change our cruise, I think the rest of the discussion is definitely on topic for this board. I would hate to have to keep checking another board to see the status of this cruise.

I understand your point, Peter, but I think the discussion of Jeff is over. However, since this is an RSVP cruise, and we are concerned about the company and how it will affect or change our cruise, I think the rest of the discussion is definitely on topic for this board. I would hate to have to keep checking another board to see the status of this cruise.

Of course, if the discussion is about this cruise it is discussed here. The future relationship between RSVP and Atlantis or Jeff's career path doesn't have to be discussed here. :)

Thanks Max

I appreciate you realize the questions about Jeff are done. Just for the record, I am not questioning anything about Jeff Gunvaldson.

I am asking questions, just asking questions related to what we can expect from our cruise on the Divina in 2014 in terms of product vis a vis what we have been provided by RSVP in the past. Apparently there are changes occurring within RSVP which may impact the 2014 product. The questions I posted in my earlier post relate to that.

To reiterate, I am not interested or questioning anything related to Jeff. I am not interested in gossip. Again, I am not questioning anything related to Jeff, gossip, or for that matter Atlantis vs RSVP. I am only questioning the apparent changes within RSVP as they may relate to the 2014 Divina sailing. Again, this is about the 2014 Divina sailing.

I am now also questioning why these questions appear to be such an issue? I do not mean to offend. As I said before, the individuals posting on Cruise Critic have proven themselves to have way more info than mere mortals like me. And I hope you can understand my sensitivity on getting such info in a timely manner based on the 2012 occurrances and given how info was communicated through offial channels in 2012. I would really appreciate my questioning not being dismissed or shut down.

I don't think anyone knows if anything is going on at RSVP or if anything is going to happen.

Could there be changes to the 2014 cruise? Perhaps but I hope not. I was disapponted by the itinerary change for 2013 but we went ahead and had a fun time anyway.

Am I concerned about 2014? You betcha! I did not even want to book onboard but we eventualy decided to book (with the discount) and risk paying the new cancellation fee if we decided to back out. The itinerary is not too exciting (but excited about a chance to see the planes land in St. Maarten!) and the cruise line did not thrill me. But since I have been back I read up some more on MSC and I am willing to give it a shot. It can't be worse then NCL in Hawaii. (Great cruise, the ship was so-so).

All we are left with for now is speculation and I am not sure what good that does. All we can do is wait and see.

As for me being a bit weary about this roll call thread: a few years ago we had the situation where someone caused trouble and the moderator shut the thread down (I think it was even deleted for a while)

I just did not want to see this thread devolve into a heated discussion about Jeff and RSVP and that it could face the same fate.

• 2 weeks later...
it's been 6 weeks since we booked on board and still no cabin/invoice confirmations or deposits charged. This is kind of weird. I wonder what is going on?

Has anyone called RSVP to see when they are sending out invoices? I got a call 4 weeks ago from my Travel Agent. He said he had gotten an Emial from RSVP saying that we booked for next year. The Email said he would be getting billing info shortly. Who knows what shorty means? Maybe now that Jeff has left, they are looking for new person at the top? I do find it interesting that they have not put this sailing on the website and on sale.

I sent an emailed to RSVP over the weekend asking why I had not received anything about our sailing since it has been almost two months. I did get a written reply that I dind't see unitl I called them today. Nick answered the phone and he told me he had just repsonded to the email. Basically it said that MSC, who is new to RSVP, was taking a bit longer to get the paper work back to them. I then asked Nick why there was nothing on their site about the sailing. His reply was that RSVP is redoing their website and they are also waiing for all the confirmations from MSC. He said the new site with the new saling would be up and running soon.

Then I told him I had a few freinds wanting to book. He said thay could call and RSVP would take the booking, like what they did for us on the ship, but the offical booking would start when they get the site up. When I pressed him for a date, he said he was not sure.

Is this what he is being told to say or is it the truth? He assured me that everything was fine with my July 29, 2013 RSVP Riverboat tour when I questioned him about that.

Is this what he is being told to say or is it the truth? He assured me that everything was fine with my July 29, 2013 RSVP Riverboat tour when I questioned him about that.

There surely is some things that have to be worked out at RSVP with Jeff's departure and with them working with a new cruise line for the first time. RSVP only had 5 employees when Jeff was around (I think it was five, it used to be 5). They have lost three people that had been there a long time over the last year or so, I am sure it is not easy.

There surely is some things that have to be worked out at RSVP with Jeff's departure and with them working with a new cruise line for the first time. RSVP only had 5 employees when Jeff was around (I think it was five, it used to be 5). They have lost three people that had been there a long time over the last year or so, I am sure it is not easy.

I totally agree with you Peter. I don't think RSVP has ever been top heavy with employees. Dann in reservations use to be with RSVP but left for several years before returning this past January.

Very understandable that with Jeff's departure and working with a New Cruise Line, things will take a bit longer to work out. I do worry slightly that RSVP will have to make up a lot of time to full the ship. They'll have to be very aggressive in their Marketing campaign.

• 3 weeks later...
We are thinking of trading in this cruise for the Club Atlantis Vallarta all-inclusive Nov. 2-9, 2013. Has anyone else gone on these all gay inclusive vacations?

Max, Richard and I did an Atlantis week in PV back in 2000. We had fun and liked the city a lot but it doesn't compare to a cruise - we have not done another one since then. In contrast we did our first RSVP cruise in 2007 and this year was our eighth cruise.

I'm lurking in the wings so to speak.

Did four Atlantis resort vacations in the past and enjoyed each one. Lots of activities especially beach related which is a change from a cruise.

Less clothes to bring......

As for this cruise on the Divina......I hope it happens. With such a large ship to fill...they should have it on their web site now.

Perhaps it will be eventually marketed jointly with Atlantis to insure a good fill rate.

I called RSVP to find out if there was a european trip plan for next year. The response was that nothing had been firmed up but that they are hoping it will come about just like the Feb cruise. Seems that contract with MSC is still not completed...but in the works. I think it odd that space has been sold before a contract is made, but I guess thats the nature of the charter business.

Me....I am planning a gay riverboat cruise next summer.......I looked over Brand G's offering this year and am hoping they will do another river next year. Its too soon for them to lock into something, but if they do I will be right there to book. After they complete this summers trip I am going to call them......

The small intimacy of a riverboat takes me back to the days when RSVP chartered small ships.....they were alot more fun.

Tom

Oh how you know which button to push. Eye-talians everywhere........

Systa Helen Holy would have to take a bar of soap to both my mind and mouth.

Although I have a cruise planned for Feb 10th, I looked into switching to the Divina. I have read enought about MSC and what to expect, but thought I might give it a try.

But......the cost for a questionble product challenged my bang for the buck mentality. If the itinerary was unique, I could justify the cost.......but the route is what I call the milk run.

I did call RSVP and they quoted me a price as a single of about $2,600+ for an outside cat 4.

I then priced an MSC 6 night cruise in January (one day shorter)......and was offered a cat 11 deluxe balcony cabin fot $1328...as a single. Now I know a charter commands a higher price, but for this line......I could not justify it. Not to mention I got an outside on the Coral Princess on an 11 night partial canal cruise for $2700.

I also wonder how an RSVP cruise will be with so many passengers. The fact that RSVP sailed with less passengers than Atlantis was a big plus in my book.....but this ship is different. I will read your review.

So now I am setting my sights on a riverboat cruise for summer 2014. Hopefully the Rhine.......all those Germans.....and German sausages......:D

In the meantime I will follow this thread .......miss all the nice guys on RSVP.

Bertha

I saw on another post that MSC sent out emails canceling their 2/15/2014 sailing on the Divina back in March. Not being one to believe what I read, I called MSC and tried to book the 2/15/2014 sailing that is still showing on their web site. Finally after I pushed them they said the ship was on charter that week. I guess that is a good sign.

I saw on another post that MSC sent out emails canceling their 2/15/2014 sailing on the Divina back in March. Not being one to believe what I read, I called MSC and tried to book the 2/15/2014 sailing that is still showing on their web site. Finally after I pushed them they said the ship was on charter that week. I guess that is a good sign.

Soon after we got off the February cruise someone on the MSC boards mentioned that their cruise was cancelled (the one that became the charter), so I won't read much into it that it is now unavailable - it has been for a while. :)

Soon after we got off the February cruise someone on the MSC boards mentioned that their cruise was cancelled (the one that became the charter), so I won't read much into it that it is now unavailable - it has been for a while. :)

Peter, I don't follow MSC's boards so I didn't see that posting you are talking about. I know last month MSC was still showing our sailing as available to book, now it is not. I'll take it as a good sign. It does bother me though that as of now RSVP still has not gotten it's act together with posting our sailing. Even Travel Agents that call are being told that info will be available shortly. It sounds like the parent company still has not put anyone in charge. I know of another person at RSVP that is no longer there. Not sure what happened to him. Atlantis in the mean time is doing well with their two sailings next winter.

• 2 weeks later...
Peter, I don't follow MSC's boards so I didn't see that posting you are talking about. I know last month MSC was still showing our sailing as available to book, now it is not. I'll take it as a good sign. It does bother me though that as of now RSVP still has not gotten it's act together with posting our sailing. Even Travel Agents that call are being told that info will be available shortly. It sounds like the parent company still has not put anyone in charge. I know of another person at RSVP that is no longer there. Not sure what happened to him. Atlantis in the mean time is doing well with their two sailings next winter.

I have heard that contract has been signed, so maybe our deposits will be charged soon. The website will show the cruise "soon".

I have also been told that nobody from RSVP left after Jeff.

Just sent in my reservation to my travel agent - looking forward to returning to my regularly scheduled February Cruises after taking two years off to buy a house!! YAY!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and welcome back onboard!