Wow, I'm one of ...."them!"

Tommy3putts

I think people have a misconception about older folk. For Baby Boomers, it was our parents and grandparents, with views/values from the 40's/50's. But those of us nearing our 70's, came of age in the sixties...And you can't get more radical than that! And people who cruise, especially the longer cruises, are not country hicks. We are interesting people. We just happen to have grey hair (or no hair). Just because our knees dson't allow us to boogie all night doesn't mean we are stodgy. EM

From a fellow boomer :p

never_trust_anyone_under_50_mousepad-p144213653876681692envq7_400.jpg

never_trust_anyone_over_30__except_me__-_vertical.png

Really depends on the time of year. We find more families and younger people during school vacation periods and also on seven day cruises. That being sad we were on the Summitt to Bermuda last week in June (we are young, active sixties) and hit it off with a young couple ( early 30's) and spent a lot of time chatting with them each no pignut before dinner. A few years ago we met a couple at lunch who were well into their 80's. They had been on numerous cruises and I asked them about Holland America and they said they had gone on one cruise with them but found the passengers "too old". Had to laugh.

From what you are describing , I think you will really enjoy Celebrity.

Enjoy your cruise!

So finally got the wife to agree to do a cruise. In deciding to go with Celebrity, one of our primary concerns was that while we didn't want an abundance of cracker crunchers afoot, we didn't want to be on a ship that catered to a clientele "to old" for us either. We want a relaxed onboard atmosphere, with good food, plenty of areas to consume adult beverages and an active lively crowd to make new friends. We were worried that we might be among the youngest people on board.

Then as a read all the various Celebrity (and HAL) threads about similar age concerns I slowly realized the following.

1. I'm early 50s and wife is mid 40s

2. All of our friends range from 40s to early 60s

3. I am allergic to kids under the age of 10

4. While I love my beer and wine I don't want the all night parties in the next cabin

5. I want the best cruise experience possible

6. I am trying to figure out ways to get my wife to become a crushing fan for future voyages as we get closer to .......retirement

7. OMG!!! I am one of "them!" I am what I am trying to avoid.

I guess my point is that we (me) seem to be fixated on the age of the people we are traveling with. I think its a given that certain cruise lines by design cater to different age demographics and socio backgrounds. But does the fact that there are more or less older people really matter? You are as young as you feel. It's more about what the particular ship and itinerary has to offer than the age of the couple sitting at the next table over. And oh by the way, my 85 year-old widowed father is more active than I am. He is out every night with his new "lady friend" while I'm at home fast asleep.

Looking forward to cruising on Celebrity.

Great post! We could be you -- except for number 6 since we have cruised a number of times! We are definitely one of "them"! LOL DH is in his mid 50's and I am in my mid 40's, we have no children, and I could have written your post word for word. I love traveling with older people who have cruised and traveled all over the world to hear about their experiences. I also love traveling with younger "newbies" to watch their wonder and excitement as they discover the joy of cruising. Age is all in the mind.

Many good suggestions. I might add a couple of additional thoughts. First, it sounds like a main focus is making sure your wife has a good cruise experience. So depending on what she likes, maybe booking an Aqua Class stateroom would be good for her. Blu is fantastic and some of the little extra perks for the room can help make the cruise special. Second, depending on the length of your cruise (Med cruises tend to be longer) booking a specialty restaurant or two can help to make her cruise special. Finally, depending what she likes, make sure you check out ship activities that she would enjoy. In my case, my wife likes yoga, so planning some of our daily activities around her yoga class was very important for her first cruise.

I am right there with some of the other posters. We tried Holland America and in our mid 50s my DH and I were the babies. I have cruised Carnival with my younger girlfriends but it is not soothing. We sailed Celebrity Solstice during spring break after it came out. Got an Aqua Class cabin and ate in Blu. That worked really great. I teach school and my children are all grown up paying their own bills. Out of control children are not a vacation for me. I can't turn off the radar. Glad to be back on the Constellation March 9. Aft cabin with drink package. I can't wait!

"all y'all" are fun. Really enjoy reading all the posts here about age. I'm the newbie and have found a wealth of knowledge here. Getting back to my original point. I was sooooo focused on whether celebrity would be too old for me and my wife. Yet when I realize that I am one of the main targets of the celebrity demographics it took me back a little. So I guess I and an epiphany (thats a big word for me) in the last day or so. Age is nothing. Its how you feel and what life style you lead. I play golf with a retired Navy Admiral who is 75 and he regularly shoots below his age from the flat belly tees. So I should just be quiet when it comes to concerns about hanging with the old folk on a cruise. Great posts! Thanks!

7. OMG!!! I am one of "them!" I am what I am trying to avoid.

My husband and I went on a cruise in October WITHOUT KIDS. I immediately thought that everyone on the ship was old -than I realized that we were one of THEM too. Old age sneaks up on ya when you least expect it.:eek:

Hey now! My bride & I cruise once a year. I am in my late 50's, my sweetheart is in her (VERY) early sixties. We cruise alone. Aging is unavoidable, so we have fun and do as we feel and not as we should. Life is an adventure and improves w/age..... On the ship (as every where else), :cool: I only have eyes for my bride and some of the best friendships I have made were with the wise ones.

Nicely done sir! Couldn't agree more!

Hey now! My bride & I cruise once a year. I am in my late 50's, my sweetheart is in her (VERY) early sixties. We cruise alone. Aging is unavoidable, so we have fun and do as we feel and not as we should. Life is an adventure and improves w/age..... On the ship (as every where else), :cool: I only have eyes for my bride and some of the best friendships I have made were with the wise ones.

Archived