Picture-A-Week 2013 - Week 08

pierces

I might have to try that!

Our squirrels are actually quite entertaining...they love to play chase along the top of the fence.

The squirrel on the patio was cracking me up. He had both hands full, and kept making a run at a tree, but couldn't figure out how to do it without giving up some food. This probably went on for 10 minutes, and I was inside taking pictures of this squirrel's frustration and laughing out loud!

Here he/she is again with their "loot!"

IMG_5872W-L.jpg

Until 2007 we had a lot of friendly squirrels (that is when a lawyer in our area started to poison them).

When we moved into this house in 1973 we met up with Charlie (our name we gave him) and a friendly chipmunk (Chipper). They trained us. When they wanted food they would sit on the dining room window ledge until we fed them. This went on for several years until they both just disappeared and we knew thay had died.

Over the years others became friendly and one learned how to rattle the kitchen storm door to get my attention that she wanted fed.

Our favorite was Baby. Hee was brought to us the first part of September in 2002 by the father who was dying and couldn't raise him. I had one month before we were to leave on a cruise get him trained to dig holes and make a nest for for winter. It was quite a job. I made too many holes in the yard but he learned. Nest building was the biggest challenge -- my breaking up small twigs and the father squirrel showing him how to make the nest. The father squirrel watched every day as I did everything. We had several bad storms that summer and figured that the mother was killed in one of them. We had Baby until 2007 when the poisoning began. It takes place nearly every fall and we have to wait until new squirrels move into the area.

None are friendly anymore and we no longer try to get friendly with them as we know what will happen.

Had to post this pic, made from my Ipad pictures with a couple apps. We are getting this Mini Himilayan kitten this weekend.

Tom :cool:

PicCollage_zpsaae9427e.jpg

Oh, TOO CUTE! PLEASE post pictures of your wee kitten. We have 3 cats that I adore, so always love seeing pictures of others. :)

Oh, TOO CUTE! PLEASE post pictures of your wee kitten. We have 3 cats that I adore, so always love seeing pictures of others. :)

THANK YOU

Look at Picture-A-Week 2013 - Week 09

for additional pictures and info

Tom :cool:

Until 2007 we had a lot of friendly squirrels (that is when a lawyer in our area started to poison them).

When we moved into this house in 1973 we met up with Charlie (our name we gave him) and a friendly chipmunk (Chipper). They trained us. When they wanted food they would sit on the dining room window ledge until we fed them. This went on for several years until they both just disappeared and we knew thay had died.

Over the years others became friendly and one learned how to rattle the kitchen storm door to get my attention that she wanted fed.

Our favorite was Baby. Hee was brought to us the first part of September in 2002 by the father who was dying and couldn't raise him. I had one month before we were to leave on a cruise get him trained to dig holes and make a nest for for winter. It was quite a job. I made too many holes in the yard but he learned. Nest building was the biggest challenge -- my breaking up small twigs and the father squirrel showing him how to make the nest. The father squirrel watched every day as I did everything. We had several bad storms that summer and figured that the mother was killed in one of them. We had Baby until 2007 when the poisoning began. It takes place nearly every fall and we have to wait until new squirrels move into the area.

None are friendly anymore and we no longer try to get friendly with them as we know what will happen.

Why on Earth would someone poison the squirrels? I know they can be a nuisance sometimes, but bad enough to poison them? That's sad.:(

Gorgeous close-up. What kind of hawk / falcon is that?

Hi Sparky,

Thanks and I believe the Americans call it a Red Tailed Hawk whereas we call it the Red Tailed Buzzard. You pays your money and takes your choices :)

I enjoy my close-up shots just so that I can look at the amzing detail that is usually right in front of our eyes :)

Bees_JGS1912.jpg

Hi Sparky,

Thanks and I believe the Americans call it a Red Tailed Hawk whereas we call it the Red Tailed Buzzard. You pays your money and takes your choices :)

I enjoy my close-up shots just so that I can look at the amzing detail that is usually right in front of our eyes :)

Bees_JGS1912.jpg

Nice shot.

Archived