has anyone done the flam railway trip with thomson

I have put this in here as I specifically want to know about peoples experience of doing it with Thomson as aposed to independently or with another cruise line.

We really want to do the flam railway and we would have done it independently but their are two other ships docked in flam that day. So there will be 5000+ passengers in flam. So as this is something we feel we have to do (well I do the rest will obey or not go :D) we are planning on booking it with the cruise ship even although we know the price is far higher than just doing it indepedently plus they do some things we probably wouldn't do or see if just going up and down on the train if that makes sense. I would rather pay ship prices and be out of pocket than not and get there and not be able to get on a train at all as I doubt we will ever have the opportunity to go to Norway again or at least not for a number of years. We are trying to decide between the full day one with lunch or the half day one that involves a hike.

Has anyone done either of these tours if so what did you think of them and what exactly do they mean by hike Im assuming as you take the train up your walking down the hill well thats the way its worded but is it a fairly easy walk. We are travelling with a 12 year old but she is a seasoned cruiser who is used to going on my magical mystery tours and being dragged around museums and churches and getting lost. She doesnt mind full day excursions having been doing trips with us on cruises since she was five (in those days it was 3-4 hour trips or shorter) although normally we do them indepedently. However when I mentioned the word hike she said pay the extra £30 it might rain :eek: she also said hike how far do we need to hike.

Your thoughts on this please. i mean how interesting is this trip for a kid sorry I of course mean tween :rolleyes: she loved Bergen last year and spent ages up the top taking pictures I had to tell her to hurry up I wanted to go.

We did the full day railway,Voss, lunch, the hairpin bends and the waterfall in 2009 when we called at Flam on the Fire and Ice itinery. We enjoyed it so much we re booking it again for May when we do the North Cape. In 2009 there was just one other ship in port, one of the Costa's. When you book with Thomson's you are given your tickets in your cabin. The earlier you book the earlier your train ticket is. I plan on booking it online before the cruise. I would have thought that you would have to book on the Internet prior to the cruise to garentee a morning train if you wanted to do it independently. Never done the hike but the mountain the train goes up isn't little, it could be a steep walk down!!!

We did the full day railway,Voss, lunch, the hairpin bends and the waterfall in 2009 when we called at Flam on the Fire and Ice itinery. We enjoyed it so much we re booking it again for May when we do the North Cape. In 2009 there was just one other ship in port, one of the Costa's. When you book with Thomson's you are given your tickets in your cabin. The earlier you book the earlier your train ticket is. I plan on booking it online before the cruise. I would have thought that you would have to book on the Internet prior to the cruise to garentee a morning train if you wanted to do it independently. Never done the hike but the mountain the train goes up isn't little, it could be a steep walk down!!!

funny you saying that as 12 year old was looking a pictures of flam on the internet and going you seriously think IM walking down that :eek:

you cannot book it on the internet unless you have ten or more people in your party. We are definately going with the ship btw you dont walk all the way back down only part of the way :D

We have done the full day trip twice with Thomsons. In our view worth the money although expensive. Both times had a fine dry day but would suggest not much fun if you are waiting for the train in Voss or Myrdal in the rain. One group goes train out and coach back and group 2 the opposite. We booked the excursion the second time with Thomsons some weeks before to ensure we had tickets as it can be busy if more than one ship is in Flam. Stalheim and the hairpin bends were excellent. The best bit for most trippers was the lunch in the hotel at Voss ! No walking on the full day excursion.

We have done the full day trip twice with Thomsons. In our view worth the money although expensive. Both times had a fine dry day but would suggest not much fun if you are waiting for the train in Voss or Myrdal in the rain. One group goes train out and coach back and group 2 the opposite. We booked the excursion the second time with Thomsons some weeks before to ensure we had tickets as it can be busy if more than one ship is in Flam. Stalheim and the hairpin bends were excellent. The best bit for most trippers was the lunch in the hotel at Voss ! No walking on the full day excursion.

actually another point the lunch at the hotel what sort of things was it and was their a choice.

Did this trip with Thomson's last June, we had a wonderful day, well worth the cost - not only do you experience the Flam Railway, but the waterfalls and hairpin bends road - fabulous. It did rain hard while in Voss, not so great, but then the sun shone and all was forgotten.

A truly great day.

We also did Mount Dilsnibba and frozen lake from Gerainger,

another great half day.

Enjoy

Alan

We did the full day trip a few years back. Yes, it did seem a bit pricey but we very much felt it was worth it. The meal was great and we got to see some wonderful scenery that you would never have been able to do on your own. You have to bear in mind that Norway is a very expensive country so the cost was probably pretty reasonable by their standards!

When there are several ships in port you will find it very difficult to get a place on the train independently. Places via Thomson will probably be limited also so book as soon as you possibly can, ideally before you go.

The highlight of my Flam trip with Thomson a few years ago was the tour guide happily telling everyone on the coach about the local pickled sheeps head eating competition :eek::eek::eek:

The train roke down as well but the lunch at Voss was good and the Stalheim hotel is always spectacular.

Archived