The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

There's been a lot of cheers threads, I've even made one, I figured if we could get all the FAQ in one place, we could help keep questions from being answered all day every day over and over. I've pulled these questions from existing threads from users, including myself. Answers confirmed by Carnival before posting (as of 2/18/2012). If I missed anything, please PM me, or ask, and I have no problem calling carnival to find out their answer and adding it to the list.

FAQ:

QUESTION: How much will I pay for Cheers?

A: You will pay $49.40USD For EVERY person in your cabin who is over 21 years old, EACH night you are on a cruise.

This means even if your cabin mate doesn't drink, you will still pay for them to be on the cheers program. Keep in mind that you do NOT pay for Disembarkment day, and you can sign up on the second day on board, paying for only that day through the last day, but you will be charged for each drink you order before you signed up separately.

EXAMPLE #1: You and your wife are cruising on the Freedom, on a 6 night cruise, and sign up for Cheers on the first day. You will pay $592.80 for the program. ($494 if you sign up on the second day)

EXAMPLE #2: You sail with your 19 year old daughter on a 6 night cruise, and sign up you pay $296.40. ($247.00 if you sign up on the second day)

QUESTION: Do I get charged for DisEmbarkment day/ Embarkment day?

A: You will NOT be charged for Disembarkement day. You will be charged for Embarkment day if you purchase the program on embarkment day.

QUESTION: Can I get this on Every Cruise?

A: NO Currently the program is available on the following ships only:

Carnival Breeze

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Dream

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Glory

Carnival Legend

Carnival Liberty

Carnival Magic

Carnival Miracle

Carnival Pride

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Valor

Carnival Victory

(last list update 12/31/2012)

QUESTION 3: My Wife is Pregnant, will Carnival make an exception since she can't drink?

A: NO. Carnival will make no exceptions for any reason, including medical, EVERYONE in the cabin over 21 will be charged for the program.

QUESTION: Is it worth it?

A: (thanks to Vinman13) Depends on how much you drink.

If you are a straight domestic beer drinker ($5.75/drink plus gratuity) it will take almost 8 beers (in a day) to break even. Then you will basically get beers 9 through 15 in a day free. Saving you up to $49.79/day.

If you are a Grey Goose Martini drinker ($9.95/drink plus gratuity) it will take less than 5 (in a day) to break even. Then you will get martinis 6 through 15 in a day free. Saving you up to $122.24/day.

QUESTION: Is it truly unlimited drinks?

A: NO, you are limited to 15 drinks per 24 hour period. The 24 hour period is 6am to 6am the next morning, so your 15 drinks don't restart at midnight, but at 6am the next morning. IN ADDITION, Carnival has stated that the staff has been trained to cut you off if you get too drunk, and they will. You are also limited to 1 drink every 5 minutes.

QUESTION: I'm a Bears fan and can put away a case of beer on a Sunday, Can I still get more drinks after 15?

A: YES, but you will have to pay for them, as long as you are not too drunk, As a Bears fan, you should be fine up to 30 or so beers a day.

QUESTION: Can I drink anything I want?

A: NO, Beverages Included In The Program:

All spirits (including cocktails), as well as beer and wine by the glass with a $10.00 or lower menu price.

Sodas and non-alcoholic frozen cocktails.

25% discount off the menu price for bottled water

25% discount off the menu price for spirits or wine above $10.00 per drink.

25% discount off the menu price wine and champagne by the bottle.

Beverages Excluded From The Program:

Non-alcoholic beverages other than soda and non-alcoholic frozen cocktails.

Beverages promoted and sold in souvenir glasses.

Bottles of liquor.

Bottled water (offered at a 25% discount).

Beverages offered at gangway while debarking.

Beverages offered through room service as well as mini bars and/or other in-stateroom beverage programs.

The sharing of cocktails and floaters.

Buckets of beer, pitchers of beer, and beer tubes.

Wine and champagne by the bottle (offered at a 25% discount).

All spirits or wine above $10.00 per drink (offered at a 25% discount).

Beverages offered through enomatic wine machines.

Coffee beverages and food items.

All other beverage-related programs including cookbooks and bar books, beverage seminars and classes, as well as cigars.

QUESTION: Can I order a bucket of beer and have it count as 4 drinks?

A: NO, one drink at a time with at least 5 minutes between drinks. However as many have stated, you can ask for unopened drinks, and save them up yourself.

QUESTION: Is soda Included?

A: YES. "bottomless Bubbles" is included in the program, which gives you unlimited soda (6.00 Per Person/ Per Day Value). Other non-alcoholic drinks also do not count towards your limit.

QUESTION: Do soda's count towards the 15 drinks?

A: NO, Sodas are truly unlimited and do not count towards your 15 drink minimum.

QUESTION: Can I get drinks for me and my cabin mate from the bar at the same time?

A: NO, Everyone must get their own drink so they can tell if one person is too drunk, and needs to be cut off. (carnival's answer)

QUESTION: Can I get specialty coffee, or redbull/monster/bawls/other energy drink, with this program?

A: NO, the program does not include those beverages. It also does not include bottled water(25% discount applies to bottled water not in the mini-bar), mini-bar, or room service drinks.

QUESTION: Does cheers work on Half Moon Cay?

A: Yes, cheers applies while you are on Half Moon Cay, but no other port.

QUESTION: Are tips and Taxes included

A: TIPs are included. TAXES while in US waters (IE embarkement day, key west stops, etc) Will be added onto your S&S Account. The package itself is NOT taxed, you will only pay tax on individual drinks in US waters regardless of when you buy the program.

Traveling with my DW in one stateroom and my brother-in-law/ sister-in law in another. Neither women drink. Once on board am I able to switch occupants my brother-in-law and I to the same stateroom to utilize the Cheers package?

Great thread. Thanks for the time and info!!

Traveling with my DW in one stateroom and my brother-in-law/ sister-in law in another. Neither women drink. Once on board am I able to switch occupants my brother-in-law and I to the same stateroom to utilize the Cheers package?

Great thread. Thanks for the time and info!!

I believe that to plug this loophole in the system, you need to have made your original reservations with the 2 guys in the same cabin and then the 2 guys purchase the program as soon as you get on board. After purchasing, duplicate keys can be obtained or switching can occur. I don't know the exact details because it does not apply to me.

If you have already made your reservations for your cruise with spouses and husbands in their proper cabins, I believe you're SOL regarding having only the guys get the program. If you're before final payment, maybe names can be changed, but I guess it depends upon what rate your reservation was made at.

Good luck. It's worth it. Just got off the Freedom and I enjoyed about 50 drinks at the Alchemy bar, while my GF had about 30. Everything else we had at all of the other bars on board was gravy since the Alchemy Drinks were 9.95 and 80 of them over 8 days covered the cost of the program. I have not sat down and done an exact dollar count, but I believe we saved around 250 or so with the program.

That is correct, anything over 10.00 comes in at a 25% discount.

I'm sorry to be so obtuse.....so, what exactly does this mean?

scenario:

I have Cheers.

My favorite drink is $10.25.

What will I get charged? $7.69 + tip (25% of $10.25)? This seems wrong if that's what it is. Why bother paying for the program? (Just a scenario, this will be my first cruise, so I just don't know what my "favorite" drink would cost.) It would probably be OK for us to get if what we want to drink is, let's say, $9.75 or less. But how would I know?

Am I understanding this correctly?

scenario:

I have Cheers.

What will I get charged? $7.69 + tip (25% of $10.25)? This seems wrong if that's what it is. Why bother paying for the program? (Just a scenario, this will be my first cruise, so I just don't know what my "favorite" drink would cost.) It would probably be OK for us to get if what we want to drink is, let's say, $9.75 or less. But how would I know?

Over 90+% of the drink options are covered under the program. I was recently on the Freedom and I had many drinks at the Alchemy Bar. They were all 9.95 and all covered under the program using alcohol such as Grey Goose or Belvedere vodka or Patron tequila. All beers are covered except pitchers and tubes. You can have up to 15 Fosters oil cans. If you like to drink, it's a great program.

scenario:

I have Cheers.

close. 25% off the 10.25 = 7.69 + 15% tip = 8.85. the thing is though that there are very few drinks which are over the 10.00 price. dow's 20 yr tawny port at 10.50, hardy XO cognac at 12.25 and maybe a few wines. you can even upgrade to top shelf / premium liquor in the mixed drinks like the classic cocktails and still be under the 10.00 program cut off.

"QUESTION 3: My Wife is Pregnant, will Carnival make an exception since she can't drink?

A: NO. Carnival will make no exceptions for any reason, including medical, EVERYONE in the cabin over 21 will be charged for the program."

This has changed. On our last cruise one of the women with us is a diabetic. With a certified Dr.'s note and the husband was able to get it just for himself.

"QUESTION 3: My Wife is Pregnant, will Carnival make an exception since she can't drink?

A: NO. Carnival will make no exceptions for any reason, including medical, EVERYONE in the cabin over 21 will be charged for the program."

This has changed. On our last cruise one of the women with us is a diabetic. With a certified Dr.'s note and the husband was able to get it just for himself.

My friend was on last week and she's pregnant with a drs note and she still had to buy it.

Edited by molly5673

I know I agree. How can they do that if the person has a note and she's obviously pregnant? You can tell by looking at her

Carnival offers an option of the cheers program. Its optional.. If you don't like the terms, pay for your drinks individually.

Second, some pregnant people do drink as well as people who are diabetic drink. In my opinion, not a good thing, but its a free country.

Third, sodas as well as non-alcoholic drinks like virgin cocktails are included. So, a pregnant person or diabetic could have either of these at times.

I am really confused.. Everything Im reading on the Cheers program states that it is $49.95/day plus tax, however, I found a Funtimes for the Liberty on 10/4/14 and it states that it is $37.50. Did the price just go up? :confused:

CHEERS BEVERAGE PROGRAM:

Buy now and enjoy the ease and convenience of paying one flat price for your spirited beverages (yep, that’s with alcohol!) all cruise long! At only $37.50* per day, this card is an amazing value! *Prices are per day; gratuities not included. Restrictions apply.

I am really confused.. Everything Im reading on the Cheers program states that it is $49.95/day plus tax, however, I found a Funtimes for the Liberty on 10/4/14 and it states that it is $37.50. Did the price just go up? :confused:

CHEERS BEVERAGE PROGRAM:

Buy now and enjoy the ease and convenience of paying one flat price for your spirited beverages (yep, that’s with alcohol!) all cruise long! At only $37.50* per day, this card is an amazing value! *Prices are per day; gratuities not included. Restrictions apply.

I do think that the changes were pretty recent.

I do think that the changes were pretty recent.

It was a short lived trial for the $37.50/day. We paid that rate on our October cruise and I seem to remember that it went to the flat rate of $49.95 + gratuity not long after. The previous year we paid the higher rate and for us, it's still worth it at the higher price :).

Sorry, one more quick question about the drink prices. Do the posted prices include the 15% gratuity or are they subject to it?
No, the posted prices do not include the 15% tip. If you buy them individually, it's added automatically. If you buy the Cheers program, it's added on the daily amount of 49.95. If you buy any drinks at all in a US port or on debarkation day before the ship hits international waters, you will pay an additional tax at the prevailing rate of the state of the port. So, you'll pay FLA sales tax on each drink before you leave any of the FLA debarkation ports or if your cruise stops at Key West. You'll also pay if you stop at San Juan.

So, if I understand correctly, on our upcoming 8 night cruise, the cost of cheers for my (then) husband and I will be $918 and change?

And this does NOT include specialty coffee, buckets, yard margaritas or bottled non-alcoholic drinks or juice (weird) but DOES include soda.

It appears from the menus posted that besides bottles of wine, buckets, yards and souvenir glasses only 3 types of liquors are over the $10 limit.

And on the Conquest, you are cut off, for sure, at 15 drinks per day and it is what it is until 6am, you cannot even buy more drinks.

I wish it included specialty coffee and that you could just pay the difference for yards lol but whatever. Its gonna be a really tough sell getting my fiancé to spend $918 when we can spend $130 from Bon Voyage, I already know :/ It's such a huge pain to go back and forth to the cabin. We did this last time and it sucked. But I highly doubt he will ever get to the "break even" point.

So, if I understand correctly, on our upcoming 8 night cruise, the cost of cheers for my (then) husband and I will be $918 and change?

And this does NOT include specialty coffee, buckets, yard margaritas or bottled non-alcoholic drinks or juice (weird) but DOES include soda.

It appears from the menus posted that besides bottles of wine, buckets, yards and souvenir glasses only 3 types of liquors are over the $10 limit.

And on the Conquest, you are cut off, for sure, at 15 drinks per day and it is what it is until 6am, you cannot even buy more drinks.

I wish it included specialty coffee and that you could just pay the difference for yards lol but whatever. Its gonna be a really tough sell getting my fiancé to spend $918 when we can spend $130 from Bon Voyage, I already know :/ It's such a huge pain to go back and forth to the cabin. We did this last time and it sucked. But I highly doubt he will ever get to the "break even" point.

yes. well, it should be 49.95 x 2 x 8 nights = 799.20 x 1.15 = 919.08 with gratuity.

it does NOT include the things you listed, just soda, and frozen non-alcoholic beverages (like a virgin strawberry daquiri, etc.). they do not count against your limit.

correct on the liquors. also realize you can always 'upgrade' the liquor in cocktails to the premium within the $10 limit in many cases.

correct also on the hard cut off at 15. some have reported some variances - in that some ships / bartenders allow you to purchase your drinks at say #13 and charge them outside the program so you don't go over the limit. you also may be able to order them in forms which are excluded from the program, like a bucket of beer, the yards, or orders through room service, etc. but this seems to vary from bar -> bar, ship -> ship so you shouldn't count on it as ymmv.