Can't swim

KorrunaKanuck

No one has answered so I will try. Stingray sand bar is only waist/chest high so a non swimmer can enjoy. It is so fun, I felt it was a can't miss. Snorkeling you have to be in water over your head so it depends how comfortable someone could be but they have flotation vests and you are pretty buoyant in the water so if a non swimmer would be comfortable they possibly could do it.

At the stingray stop they'll probably be OK wearing a vest and your staying very close to them. (No snorkeling there because fins aren't allowed.)

Maybe not at the snorkel stop with water over their heads. Yet, they can enjoy being out on the water in a boat. Quite a few people take a snorkel excursion and never snorkel ... just do it for the beautiful views out on the water.

Have fun planning!

LuLu

~~~~

At the stingray stop they'll probably be OK wearing a vest and your staying very close to them. (No snorkeling there because fins aren't allowed.)

Maybe not at the snorkel stop with water over their heads. Yet, they can enjoy being out on the water in a boat. Quite a few people take a snorkel excursion and never snorkel ... just do it for the beautiful views out on the water.

Have fun planning!

LuLu

~~~~

That was the question I was about to ask on this board.

I want to do the Rays, Reef and Rumpoint Tour. But my husband is not going to get in the water. I no this for a fact.

I'm glad to hear that its enjoyable to sit on the boat and take in the beauty of being out at sea.

Thanks for that bit of info.

Done the stingray swim three times, on one ocassion waves were fairly high and a little rough (hard to stand and had to hop or swim). The weather was rough that day and did affect a couple of people who couldn't swim and were around 5 and 1/2 heet high. Otherwise you're good. Snorkeling i wouldn't recommend depending on location because of the possibility of current.:):)

That was the question I was about to ask on this board.

I want to do the Rays, Reef and Rumpoint Tour. But my husband is not going to get in the water. I no this for a fact.

I'm glad to hear that its enjoyable to sit on the boat and take in the beauty of being out at sea.

Thanks for that bit of info.

I can assure you he will not be the only one doing this.

Stick a camera in his hands so he can take pictures of you in the water. Often, on the stingray stop, a crew member will lift a stingray up for folks who stayed on the boat to see up close and do photos.

LuLu

~~~~

Done the stingray swim three times, on one ocassion waves were fairly high and a little rough (hard to stand and had to hop or swim). The weather was rough that day and did affect a couple of people who couldn't swim and were around 5 and 1/2 heet high. Otherwise you're good. Snorkeling i wouldn't recommend depending on location because of the possibility of current.:):)

Thank you for that tidbit. I'll keep that in mind for the stingray portion.

I'll stay on the boat for the snorkeling part. Unless they have a rope I can hold onto.:D

The stingray experience is a "do not miss" thing here in Grand Cayman. There are huge and amazing.

The sandbar, as others have said, is not very deep and you usually don't have too many problems. There was a few times it got a little wavy when we were there (I mean you are out in the middle of the ocean with nothing around and there are boats pulling in and out causing a few waves), but for the most part, you still have your life vest on and you could even lift your legs up and you will still float.

We had someone in our party that stayed back on the boat when we went last year. No problems...a lot of people do it either because of a swimming issue but yet they want to see the rays and take pictures of their families doing the experience or because they are afraid of the rays (in our case with a family memeber :D).

Also, I noticed a lot of people on our boat stayed behind at the snorkeling area once we arrive. There was only a handful of people in the water. Some said that they were just tired and worn out and didn't feel like snorkeling after interacting with the rays for so long. However, the people on our boat was diving down and bringin up things for the people on the boat to see. They had their own little experience going as well. :)

Archived