Need Info on Stockholm!

MarGG

I have another question and perhaps someone could give me insight. I am a folk painter/artist and would love to see some Swedish folk painting. Is there a museum which houses old painted furniture and items with typical folk art painting? Thanks again.

Would appreciate some help in clarifying where ships can dock...Lost in Translation mentioned on page 1 that there are two places where ships can dock...Stadtgarden and Fre...(forgot spelling of second place). Then I followed the link someone postd to see where ships where due to dock. Found the Brilliance of Seas in August ...but it says arrival:

Köbenhavns Havn

Is this the name of the main harbor area - Stadtgarden or the other place?

I am sorry I am just not familiar with Stockholm but, then again, that's why I am starting to research. Thanks for the help clarifying.

I think you misread the list. Your berth is Stadgarden. Köbenhavns Havn is Copenhagen, the city you're coming from.

I have another question and perhaps someone could give me insight. I am a folk painter/artist and would love to see some Swedish folk painting. Is there a museum which houses old painted furniture and items with typical folk art painting? Thanks again.

I would say that Nordiskamuseet is the place to go for that. Its next door to the Vasa museum.

http://www.nordiskamuseet.se/category.asp?cat=187&catname=English&topmenu=142

http://www.nordiskamuseet.se/Publication.asp?publicationid=5038&topmenu=142

We are only in Stockholm from 7-2 the latter part of May :( My question is how early do shops, etc open in Gamla Stan.l heard the Vasa doesn't open until 10. I had thought to leave the ship asap, catch Bus 76 to Gamla Stan, ferry over to Vasa and Bus 76 back to port. Will I see anything in Gamla Stan that early other than closed buildings and the palace or would my time be better spent in one of the places (Gamla Stan or Vasa) and not try to do both?

Thank you

We are only in Stockholm from 7-2 the latter part of May :( My question is how early do shops, etc open in Gamla Stan.l heard the Vasa doesn't open until 10. I had thought to leave the ship asap, catch Bus 76 to Gamla Stan, ferry over to Vasa and Bus 76 back to port. Will I see anything in Gamla Stan that early other than closed buildings and the palace or would my time be better spent in one of the places (Gamla Stan or Vasa) and not try to do both?

Thank you

In general shop opening hours are usually 10-18, 11-18 or 11-19.

Royal Palace is open daily between 10-17 during May 15th-Sept. 16th.

The only thing open earlier then 10 are food stores, 7-elevens and etc...

In general shop opening hours are usually 10-18, 11-18 or 11-19.

Royal Palace is open daily between 10-17 during May 15th-Sept. 16th.

The only thing open earlier then 10 are food stores, 7-elevens and etc...

Well, that is a bummer. Guess I need to sleep in and head for either Gamla Stan OR Vasa. Doing both in 3 hrs would be very hard. Thanks for info

Well, that is a bummer. Guess I need to sleep in and head for either Gamla Stan OR Vasa. Doing both in 3 hrs would be very hard. Thanks for info

I haven't really reached Stockholm as we are just doing a ship tour but if there are any famous statues or fountains maybe you can get off and see them first and without large crowds.

Since everyone else on your ship is in a similar situation, you might be able to get 10 people together for a private tour of the city hall. Public tours don't start till 10 am but the city hall is open much earlier. Also with 10 people you could contact Alla Tours and she might be able to arrange City Hall, Gamla Stan and Vasa within your time period.

Edited to say that I just looked at her sample tour and it includes the three things from 8 am to 1pm. Sounds perfect for you.

Desdichado62----

Thanks for the reply/input. My problem was I didn't know that Kobenhavns Havn was "from Copenhagen"... Thanks also for clarifying for me that we will be arriving in Stadtgarden... By the end of my research, I sure hope I will recognize a lot of the street names and areas of Stockholm. Lots to learn!

Thank you again for your help on the Nordic Museum...will follow the link.

This has been much help.

Since everyone else on your ship is in a similar situation, you might be able to get 10 people together for a private tour of the city hall. Public tours don't start till 10 am but the city hall is open much earlier. Also with 10 people you could contact Alla Tours and she might be able to arrange City Hall, Gamla Stan and Vasa within your time period.

Edited to say that I just looked at her sample tour and it includes the three things from 8 am to 1pm. Sounds perfect for you.

Thanks for the good info. I am looking into it:) Love CC!

I am taking an RCCL cruise out of Stockholm on 6/30, and am starting my vacation by:

1) Flying to Iceland Reykavik

Spending a day at the Blue Lagoon and letting my 20 year old daughter ride Iceland ponies (something she alsways wanted to do!)

2) Flying from Iceland to Stockholm 2 days before the Cruise

Flying thru KEF in ICELAND can save you money.

We are going to use the Stockholm card and enjoy things like Skansen and River tours and what ever else we decide to do.

I finally studied the map enough to have a good idea of where many things are laid out. The city of Stockholm is a bunch of islands, but you can think of it as a flower:

The center is GAMLA STAN (the old city)

The Northern "petal" is Normalm

The Eastern Petal is Ostermalm and includes the port of Frihamnen.

The southern petal is Sodermalm and supposed has some really cool shopping.

We were originally going to stay near Frihamnen at the Scandic Ariadne, but I just changed our reservation to a nice Hostel on GAMLA STAN to have a more central base of operation, and because my daughter wnats the social atmosphere of a hostel.

Why 3 hours? Most ships I looked at leave Stockholm at 5 PM. I believe you have to be on board in advance, but that still leaves you time till 3 PM. That is 5 hours - I thought it is enough for both - Vasa and Gamla Stan. Am I wrong?

Why 3 hours? Most ships I looked at leave Stockholm at 5 PM. I believe you have to be on board in advance, but that still leaves you time till 3 PM. That is 5 hours - I thought it is enough for both - Vasa and Gamla Stan. Am I wrong?

From what I've read here, a lot of ships are in port from 7-2. Ours (NCL Star) is 8-4.

I believe the OP was figuring the time from 10am when most things open in May until when they had to be back at the ship...1pm...that's 3 hours. However, I think some alternatives have been suggested to make use of the time before 10am.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I see. We are on Celebrity. It is in Stockholm from 8.00 AM till 5.00 PM. I tried to organize a private tour in Stockholm and the price came as a surprise really. In some other place I could have two days for what they charge for a 5 hour tour. Is it really that bad - or am I just lucky with the company I tried?

Oh, I see. We are on Celebrity. It is in Stockholm from 8.00 AM till 5.00 PM. I tried to organize a private tour in Stockholm and the price came as a surprise really. In some other place I could have two days for what they charge for a 5 hour tour. Is it really that bad - or am I just lucky with the company I tried?

Who are you using for your tour in St. Petersburg --they often have add-on tours in Stockholm at reasonable prices. With the time you have in port it should be quite easy to DIY.

Who are you using for your tour in St. Petersburg --they often have add-on tours in Stockholm at reasonable prices. With the time you have in port it should be quite easy to DIY.

I am using Best Guides in St. Petersburg. I toured with them before - it was the best tour I have ever had! So I have no concerns here. And I have an individual program in SPb - Petrodvorets and Oranienbaum - something I could not see during my first visit.

As for Stockholm - I asked them, but they only offer group tours in Stockholm. The groups are not big, but this does not suite me as I have special interest in Stockholm. My mother spent some years there and I wanted to see the house where she lived and some places she told me about. (A bit sentimental, I know...) But this is only possible during an individual tour.

I am using Best Guides in St. Petersburg. I toured with them before - it was the best tour I have ever had! So I have no concerns here. And I have an individual program in SPb - Petrodvorets and Oranienbaum - something I could not see during my first visit.

As for Stockholm - I asked them, but they only offer group tours in Stockholm. The groups are not big, but this does not suite me as I have special interest in Stockholm. My mother spent some years there and I wanted to see the house where she lived and some places she told me about. (A bit sentimental, I know...) But this is only possible during an individual tour.

Totally understand --Perhaps do a short private tour of the places that would be difficult to get to and the rest DIY....

Totally understand --Perhaps do a short private tour of the places that would be difficult to get to and the rest DIY....

That is exactly what I was trying to do. And I tried a Stockholm Company which I accidentally came over browsing Cruisecritic. They have a list of tour companies here http://www.cruisecritic.com/shore-excursions/region.cfm?ID=4 . Most of them are for St.Petersburg, but one is for Stockholm. With them I definitely won't be able to afford a private tour. Maybe I should try to find just a private guide...

That is exactly what I was trying to do. And I tried a Stockholm Company which I accidentally came over browsing Cruisecritic. They have a list of tour companies here http://www.cruisecritic.com/shore-excursions/region.cfm?ID=4 . Most of them are for St.Petersburg, but one is for Stockholm. With them I definitely won't be able to afford a private tour. Maybe I should try to find just a private guide...

Stockholm has a great public transit system --have you tried creating a route using that http://sl.se/english .

I have to say I am also a very inexperienced Forum User, more over I have never been overseas before. So, I’m sorry in advance for so many questions. After all discussions and arguments we are now about to book a 9-day Baltic Capitals Cruise/Norwegian Cruise Line. I’ve heard that there is a special children museum in Stockholm which is very good. Please, could you give me the name of it? We are traveling with a child of 3. Does it make any sense to come there with a child of 3? Thank you in advance :).

Archived