Vancouver restaurants

HarperSays

We are staying at the Howard Johnson (1176 Granville Street) for 2 nights pre-cruise. We plan on taking the shuttle to Capilano Bridge one day and hope to make it to Stanley Park and maybe Grouse Mtn.

Could anyone recommend some casual restaurants for our group of 7? I read a review that suggested Rogue, but that's the only one I've found. Will there be some place for lunch near Capilano since we will not be renting a car, or should we schedule to be back downtown and eat there?

Is Gas Town within safe walking distance to our hotel? TIA!

Personally, I would choose a hotel more North than the Howard Johnson. It would put you a little closer to Stanley Park, the North Shore (Capilano Suspension Bridge & Grouse Moutain) and Gastown.

There's not much in the area of the Howard Johnson Hotel and in my opinion, the area is not that nice. It's realatively safe, just not that nice anymore. I can't think of any nice restaurants in the immediate area, unless you walked over to the Yaletown area.

There is a restaurant at Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain.

The Rogue is located at Waterfront Station (Skytrain, West Coast Express & Seabus terminal) and is a little above pub fare. It's very busy during the week 4:00 - 7:00 pm. A lot of office workers go there before the commute home. :)

We chose the HJ for the price so that we could spend more on our excursions in AK. We're okay with taking the bus or even walking (if it's safe) to restaurants, just need some recommendations for good ones. Nothing too fancy or expensive (we will have a toddler with us). Thanks!

Gastown is safe and walkable from the HOJO but it is the best part of a 15 block walk in either direction and the 800 thru 1000 blocks of Granville St.(the entertainment district) can be a bit rowdy at night .

Between suspension bridge and the SkyRide there is a very popular Chinese restaurant called the Capilano Heights Chinese Restaurant link otherwise it is down to Capilano Road and Marine drive where about 1/2 block west of the intersection there is an Earls link .

About two blocks to the south of the HOJO in the Best Western-Downtown on Drake St. there is a White Spot link . At a higher price point and a few blocks away Umberto operates two restaurants next door to each other link . About 2 blocks to the north on Granville at Nelson there is Doolin's Irish Pub link .

As already mentioned you're a bit of a walk from Gastown but at least you'll be on busy well-lit tourist-frequented streets the whole time - straight up Granville until you run out of street, hang a right passing Waterfront Station (where the original branch of Rogue is) and Steamworks (same owners as Rogue, beer made in-house) and then down Water Street. 2 kilometres on the nose from your hotel to the Gassy Jack statue, which is as far down into Gastown as I'd ever recommend walking unless you're somewhat familiar with the area.

While I've never been in, the Old Spaghetti Factory is always busy when I pass - it's definitely the most casual/cheap/family friendly resto in the vicinity of Water Street. And with a toddler in tow, I imagine you'd be coming back from dinner early enough that the drunken buffoonery on Granville Street won't be happening yet even if you do walk back to your hotel.

Your HoJo is actually very convenient for Yaletown - straight down Helmcken a few short blocks. You'll pass Alpha, my favourite Izakaya (I take conservative diners here all the time - a lot of the dishes are basically US/Brit Pub Grub with 'funny foreign names'), then the Yaletown branch of Milestones (a Canadian chain, a step up from generic pub grub but with so many special offers on that it can be a really good value meal), then Earls (a chain much like Milestones) and Yaletown Brewing which has in-house-made beer and a large covered patio, so you can dine outside. It's only five hundred yards to Yaletown Brewing, with all the others mentioned even closer to the HoJo. If you want something a little nicer but still good value, Caché offer a nice 3-course prix fixe menu for $35 and the 'First Seating' early dinner at Brix is a steal at $29.

The first couple of blocks of Helmcken near your hotel will probably look a bit sketchy to you, so if the grown-ups are going out late for drinks in Yaletown maybe grab a cab to come home - even with a generous tip you won't need more than $10 per cab. Hint - there are *always* cabs lined up outside Blue Water which is right across the street from Milestones. It's very pricey, so it's one of the primo spots for cabbies to wait for a nice fat fare;-)

Granville Island you'd be better taking the bus to (or a little pricier but shorter & nicer, one of our local ferry companies) as walking you have to go quite far past it to get down off Granville bridge, almost 2.5km/1.5 miles from the HoJo. Cats Social House on the island is reasonable, on par with Rogue etc. for price, and you can make yourself a very nice picnic lunch from the various stalls in the Public Market then go sit by the water to eat.

We love Old Spaghetti Factory. Second vote for it here! They're used to big parties and the food is delish and not expensive. Great atmosphere, too.

There's a ton of interesting casual little restaurants on Davie street, not far from the HoJo you're staying at. If you're looking for something fancier, there are some excellent (gotham, goldfish, r.tl, and a bunch more I can't think of), in the Yaletown district of downtown (toward the cambie bridge). All within easy walking distance.

If you're looking for a great Vancouver food blogger's recommendations, I would recommend http://www.shermansfoodadventures.com/p/recommendations.html

This may be out of the way for you but we like Cardero's Restaurant at Coal Harbor - they are open from about 11AM, I think. Good food and wine.

Cardero's is a great restaurant (kind of an upscale marine pub) and certainly one of my faves....but it is a bit of a hike from the HOJO in the 1100 block of Granville St.

Archived