Hamburg excursions - Lübeck/Niederegger or Luneberg

Tobysmum

We're visiting Hamburg twice in May on QM2, and have been trying to decide between 2 possible shore excursions - one to Lubeck and Niederegger, and the other to Luneberg. The time taken and cost seems to be about the same, so does anyone have any thoughts as to which one would give us more of a taste of Germany (old and new)? I think we'll definitely use one of the days to do our own thing around Hamburg, and the other to do an excursion. Many thanks in advance.

Luebeck is a Hansastadt and a UNESCO world heritage city. It is famous and has a lot of history. Also famous is the Niederegger Marzipan, and if you get a tour of the factory that might be interesting. If they are just taking you to the a store, not so much.

Lueneburg is being restored and it was spared bombing in WWII so that would be interesting. It is also in the area called the Lueneburger Heide, which is a moor. Right on the river/canal the buildings hang over it a bit. Very quaint.

I suppose you might want to look into doing these on your own, it would come out cheaper and you get to see more of what you want to see.

Both cities are very nice and are both well worth a visit. Lübeck, however, is much bigger than Lüneburg and will therefore offer more things to see and do. From Lübeck, you could also extend your visit to the seaside resort towns of Travemünde and Timmendorfer Strand, if time permits. And of course Niederegger Marzipan is not to be missed. They even have Marzipan ice cream!

Thank you both very much for your help. I think we'll book the tour to Lubeck as it sounds like a lovely city with an great history. Although neither of us are great fans of marzipan, the factory tour is part of the trip so we'll no doubt have a taste:)

We spent a lovely day in Lübeck . One of the highlights was an amazing puppet museum

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lübeck_Museum_of_Theatre_Puppets

This place is really amazing and on a cruise which included visits to Vasa , the Hermitage and the Louvre ( we did a pre cruise stay in Paris) , it still was a standout in my memory. I hope you viait it , really worth it.

We had lunch near the river ( great weather) , walked around the Old Town , very beautiful place.

Enjoy!

We're visiting Hamburg twice in May on QM2, and have been trying to decide between 2 possible shore excursions - one to Lubeck and Niederegger, and the other to Luneberg. The time taken and cost seems to be about the same, so does anyone have any thoughts as to which one would give us more of a taste of Germany (old and new)? I think we'll definitely use one of the days to do our own thing around Hamburg, and the other to do an excursion. Many thanks in advance.

You can easily do your own thing in both Hamburg and Lubeck. You can catch a train from Hamburg to Lubeck return.

Archived