Refurbished OLD Ship

mrsgilomonster

ask why he/she is advising against it.

I have sailed CCL several times, all without any problems.

The TA simply said that other cruise lines (RCI) are superior. Better food, better service and have a better reputation dealing with mishaps. I didnt push the issue. This will be my first attempt to book a family cruise and just want to do it right.

My first cruise was Triumph before the drydock.

My second cruise was Destiny before the transformation.

Loved them both. Both booked directly through Carnival. No idea where I'm going next, but I wouldn't hesitate to do Carnival, old ship or new. I'd also try another line.

But you can be sure I'm going to be in a balcony cabin!

- Woody -

The TA simply said that other cruise lines (RCI) are superior. Better food, better service and have a better reputation dealing with mishaps. I didnt push the issue. This will be my first attempt to book a family cruise and just want to do it right.

I think you're better off getting info here (not just the Carnival forum, but all of them, as well as reading the reviews) than from the TA, simply because of the potential conflict with the updated commission structures.

I've booked both of my cruises directly through the company's representative, and been happy with that (though I thought she was a bit pushy, she knew her stuff!)

We sailed her as the Destiny...and can't wait to sail her as the Sunshine.I can't wait to see the difference. I have sailed with both Carnival and Royal...and would sail them both again....but my next one is on Carnival!:D

Everything is relative.

We sailed on Destiny when she was only 4 years old. At the time, she was the largest cruise ship we had ever sailed on. We were as wowed (back then) as when we sailed on Allure of the Seas in 2011. We couldn't believe the ship's size, the impressive atrium, the multi level restaurants, all of the innovative ammenities, etc, etc. It was also the first time we had a balcony stateroom.

Although Destiny/Sunshine is an "old" ship now, I'm sure that many first time cruisers will be wowed by her as well. Seasoned cruisers, probably not so much...

Seasoned cruisers, probably not so much...

I think I can safely call myself a seasoned cruiser (my cruises number in the mid-teens or so - I've stopped counting) and I'm still "WOWed" every time I get on a ship. Not as much as the first couple of times I suppose, and probably not about all the same things, but there's still a frisson of excitement and a WOW factor.

If I ever lose that entirely, I might as well quit cruising.

Ask this uninformed TA what the square footage of an RCI cabin is compared to the square footage of a cabin on the Destiny/Sunshine.

My money is on he/she will look at you with a blank stare and just blink with their mouth open mentally searching for an answer.

How many captains does a ship need, for any number of passengers?

Cruise on Carnival much? I didn't think so.

They also have not cut back on entertainment staff. Reallocation is not a cut back.

You are correct about choice - Carnival is all about offering people choice - others, not so much. For value AND choice, Carnival is where it is at. :D

Other cruise lines must be terribly boring.

We are not talking about Captain's. We are talking about the individuals such as the stewards who clean your rooms, the entertainment staff, and the dining staff. If Carnival has increased their staff, they have proportionally increased the number of passengers on their ships ( as will be the case of the "new" Carnival Sunshine.

If one considers that Carnival ships always sail "full" with more than 2 individuals/cabin Carnival usually has the highest passenger density with proportionally less staff and less space/passenger compared to other cruise lines.

Carnival provides an excellent product for individuals who consider price to be one of their major, if not major consideration.

For other individuals who are more concerned about qulity, the other cruise lines may be a better choice.

We base our opinion on experince, we are Platinum Level cruisers on Carnival (as well as on many other other cruise lines.

Really? The issues I have had with CCL are not those. The only thing I would say RCCL is better in is entertainment. They are pretty much equal. I am sure your family will enjoy themselves :)

Really? The issues I have had with CCL are not those. The only thing I would say RCCL is better in is entertainment. They are pretty much equal. I am sure your family will enjoy themselves :)

And they have the tiniest cabins in the cruise industry so they can pack more people onto their ships. I sailed on the Majesty of the Seas for a last second getaway last August and their inside cabins are 114 square feet. Do you know how tiny 114 sf is? Imagine a 10' X 10' pop-up tailgate canopy. Now add 7 inches all the way around. That would be the size of your cabin including the bathroom.

Carnival's average inside cabins are about 185 sf. They're HUGE compared to Royal Caribbean's cabins.

Ask this uninformed TA what the square footage of an RCI cabin is compared to the square footage of a cabin on the Destiny/Sunshine..

Which ships? If you're comparing the Monarch/Majesty (their oldest ships) then it's a biased and misleading comparison. However, if you're comparing any other ship in the Royal fleet, cabins are more comparable. In fact Royal leaves Carnival in the dust on any category higher than a balcony (both in selection and size).

The lower categories on Royal are still slightly smaller (although much more functional and better designed), bt as you move up the category ladder, their cabins get exponentially bigger.

the reason they TA said that is because RCI is more expensive and they want the commission from that. Actually I have to completely disagree with that. my family and I did the allure in Dec 2012 and none of us liked it. There were 5 kids between 8 and 13 and 7 adults and none of us liked it. We have never seen so many Older people with wheelchairs, walkers and canes on this ship and they were all rude and demanding to us younger people. Our waiter was completely clueless about what we all had to drink every night. My brother in law is a vegetarian and on the last night our waiter still asked him if he wanted some chicken?! My brother in law got up and left after being asked the 7th time on the cruise at dinner if he wants some chicken. I mean by the 3rd night at the latest you should know he wont eat any meat or chicken!!! there was nothing on the menu we actually wanted or craved. My daughter was very ill after doing the cupcake factory. This ship was sooo big that we missed alot of stuff. They didn't have a deck party or sailaway party at all. didn't like it, too stuffy for us. though we are glad we were on it and we can say we did it. We are booking the sunshine in 2015 with the 12 of us again and we are looking extremely forward to it.

Archived