TRANSATLANTIC....Activities for the Cruise Director for Sea Days

arhillbilly

What kind of activities would you, as passengers, like to see/do for the sea days on a transatlantic? Talking with a cruise director (a friend) and I am suppose to get some ideas to give them. The first TA, there will be 6 sea days in a row. The 2nd TA, there are 4 sea days in a row, then a port day, then there are 6 more sea days.

I really enjoyed the progressive trivia game. Same team every day for all sea days. The prizes have to be decent for this though. I was on the team that won 2nd place and we got tshirts, water bottles, and frisbees or something like that.

Craft projects, they are quick and if you have the right instructor they are fun. Have done ribbon roses, made earrings or bracelet something else I can't remember.

Napkin folding/towel animals.

Cake decorating, however, if this is done it is more fun to decorate something than just watching a demonstration. So a small cupcake or cookie to decorate with a piping bag or practice on a 'plate' would be fun.

Ballroom dancing classes - learn how to fox trot one day, cha cha the next, it helps if the sessions could be at the same time at the same place. I would love to do this but never have a partner, so I'm not sure how the dance teachers would handle this.

Maybe some sort of "Amazing Race" or progressive Scavenger Hunt, where teams have a certain amount of time during the sea days to complete different activities or collect certain items and each day one or two teams are eliminated. I'd love to be part of something like this (as long as the grand prize is something better than a bottle of champagne ;), like winner gets their bill paid for at the end of the cruise!).

There are always people looking for Bridge players. I think that it would help a lot of people out there if the CD put something in the daily about that. Such as "Calling all bridge players, we are assembling every evening at the _____ to get tables together."

I like the idea of the scavenger hunt, don't think the paid expenses will go over with the company.

There has been threads last year about how fun the HORSE RACES used to be. Getting the teams pay in and boasting about your horse and the side betting. Maybe look into bringing that back on board.

I will be on the TA sailing. Would like some trivia games, maybe some progressive type games - however they need to be held in a place where people can hear each other, etc. Bingo is too overpriced to even mess with.

Lots of different drink tastings - martini, margarita, tequila, etc, food demonstrations/tastings. On the Disney cruise we had cheese tastings, oil&vinegar tastings, things like that.

Also the cupcake/cake decorating to go with the Cake Boss bakery would be great too on the Breakaway.

Having some very good shows, comedians are also a plus.

I even like a photo scavenger hunt, etc. Though I think one that would play over several days and be hard would be nice. We have done ones where you only had to have like 20 photos and everyone found the items. I think if they made a huge list of like 100+ items and then give a couple days to turn in and see who gets the most and have some sort of neat prize or something.

Craft challenge.....have the CD rummage through the craft closet and bring out leftovers. Then have a craft challenge. Maybe bring in other CD staff as blind judges, so they don't know who made what.

I've also done a challenge with items scrounged from the ship. Glue provided by the CD staff. Need a 2-day schedule for this one. One day to tell about the challenge, another for showing and judging.

Craft challenge.....have the CD rummage through the craft closet and bring out leftovers. Then have a craft challenge. Maybe bring in other CD staff as blind judges, so they don't know who made what.

I've also done a challenge with items scrounged from the ship. Glue provided by the CD staff. Need a 2-day schedule for this one. One day to tell about the challenge, another for showing and judging.

Please tell me more about this. I have never heard of this....Thanks

There are always people looking for Bridge players. I think that it would help a lot of people out there if the CD put something in the daily about that. Such as "Calling all bridge players, we are assembling every evening at the _____ to get tables together."

Definitely need to run bridge games/classes on a TA! I'm avaliable if they need me :)

Craft challenge..... ... I've also done a challenge with items scrounged from the ship. ...

Note to self: be sure to pack acetylene torch.

Other suggestions, drawn from my childhood:

• Slug Bug: He/She wins who counts the most passing Volkswagens.
  • Are We There Yet: A family automotive favorite, all two, three, or four thousand passengers ask cruise director "Are we there yet?" every time they see him/her. Points are scored for good form (i.e. whinyness) and for effectiveness.

InTheCruisingYearsOfLife

• 3 months later...

A bridge director with lessons in the morning and games in the afternoon on sea days. They should include contract duplicate bridge and party bridge. If the cruise line cannot afford a bridge director, they should have a sign up sheet for games and the duplicate boards and a quite room available on sea days.:D\\

BobLet

We are big TA fans. Love sea days. One of the things we have thought RCI does well (not sure about NCL yet) is poolside "contests" during the day. It is really that hole from about 10am-4pm when people would be in ports that needs to be filled on sea days. They had some pretty bizzare scavenger hunts where contestants had to finagle various items from poolside folks. Also stuff like a Miss-Muscular Arms contest.

I like the idea of a daily movie in the main theater but it would have to avoid conflicting with show rehearsals. Also liking the idea of cooking classes unless it was treated like an "excursion" and was for a fee. really cool sort of lecture would be officers describing their functional area including anecdotes from past cruises.

Since on sea days you can sleep in a lot tends to happen at night. If something were happening astronomically it might be nice to have a stargazing event - like if there was a meteor shower or planet alignment.

Our next cruise has nine sea days and our roll call group is already planning activities for us - like cabin crawl, slot pull, pub crawl, book review, "hosted" lunches and various game times (for some reason we have a lot of "Hand & Foot" players).

But our number one TA activity is nightly piano bar - as long as the piano person is versitile and entertaining. If good we can spend every night until wee hours singing along.

Archived