QM2 no longer a TransAtlantic LINER

turquoise 6

YES !!!! I DO!!!!

anyway this site is all whining and throwing out whatever one feels without

thinking. Even better when one can offend someone else .

Like you Sea tiger,: !!!!!! YES YES NO NO:rolleyes:

Are you suggesting that it is "better" to offend someone? Is this how you conduct yourself on crossings? :confused:

YES !!!! I DO!!!!

anyway this site is all whining and throwing out whatever one feels without

thinking. Even better when one can offend someone else .

Like you Sea tiger,: !!!!!! YES YES NO NO:rolleyes:

Why didn't someone explain that to me before. It's all very clear now.

Why didn't someone explain that to me before. It's all very clear now.

Yes you quoted only a portion of what I wrote , so u distorted my quote to fit

ur needs...SEA TIGER IS:( GUITY OF DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER:(

The only thing clear is UR SARCASM AND DEVIATION FROM THE POST:rolleyes:

Have A great trip.! the QM2 is a beautiful Ship

Thank you. I couldn't find an 'Introduce yourself' section but i'm new here and relatively new to cruising, having always wanted to do one being a Titanic/Passenger liner nerd. I sailed with my Fiance on the Navigator of the Seas last June and we both loved it and as she is American, her parents have paid for us to sail back on the QM2 instead of flying so we can have a proper honeymoon!

Planning on doing another Med cruise before the end of the year if funds allow too .

Yes you quoted only a portion of what I wrote , so u distorted my quote to fit

ur needs...SEA TIGER IS:( GUITY OF DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER:(

The only thing clear is UR SARCASM AND DEVIATION FROM THE POST:rolleyes:

Actually, all three times that Sea Tiger quoted you, she included your entire quote.

Actually, all three times that Sea Tiger quoted you, she included your entire quote.

I love Ginny and your Greyhound.

Thanks for your much needed support, but I think he, who shall not be named, is totally embarassed and doesn't know where to go next. The point is I was carrying on a thread that Salacia mentioned at the end of her contribution re: economy air travel and how I would like to go to the UK back to back from NY. So where I deviated from the thread, I don't know, as I knew he was concerned by lack of back to backs.

I will be ignoring his posts in future as I didn't come on this forum to be harassed, but something I would like to say is this: none of us know the state of mind that anyone is in on any day and the problems that anyone is carrying, and perhaps these people are coming on CC for a bit of a break and don't need this nonsense.

I love Ginny and your Greyhound.

Thanks for your much needed support, but I think he, who shall not be named, is totally embarassed and doesn't know where to go next. The point is I was carrying on a thread that Salacia mentioned at the end of her contribution re: economy air travel and how I would like to go to the UK back to back from NY. So where I deviated from the thread, I don't know, as I knew he was concerned by lack of back to backs.

I will be ignoring his posts in future as I didn't come on this forum to be harassed, but something I would like to say is this: none of us know the state of mind that anyone is in on any day and the problems that anyone is carrying, and perhaps these people are coming on CC for a bit of a break and don't need this nonsense.

Thanks :) Given that the two of you are in agreement about sailing on back to backs I don't understand why he with the name of my birthstone has a problem... but as they say, words without tone and body language only convey something like 10% of our meaning. I just have a hard time seeing people misrepresented, particularly when being themselves accused of misrepresenting someone! The irony :rolleyes:

Oh okay. But that's not what you said back in post number 31 on this thread.

You said:

So which is it? A cruise ship or an ocean liner?

Please follow my post and read it!! You don't seem to comprehend my post.

Again.. Cunard or Carnival has taken The QM2 which was built as an Ocean Liner and made it into a cruise ship. ::( Which means the QM2 is not doing what it should: Be a TransAtlantic Liner.:)

Thank you. I couldn't find an 'Introduce yourself' section but i'm new here and relatively new to cruising, having always wanted to do one being a Titanic/Passenger liner nerd. I sailed with my Fiance on the Navigator of the Seas last June and we both loved it and as she is American, her parents have paid for us to sail back on the QM2 instead of flying so we can have a proper honeymoon!

Planning on doing another Med cruise before the end of the year if funds allow too .

Hi, Welcome to this site. It's all about Ships. I never sailed on the Navigator of the Seas,.I'm happy you enjoyed your Honeymoon

Again.. Cunard or Carnival has taken The QM2 which was built as an Ocean Liner and made it into a cruise ship. ::( Which means the QM2 is not doing what it should: Be a TransAtlantic Liner.:)

(NB: I have quoted the entire post, but the bold is mine)

How did they "make it into a cruise ship"? They have not altered her. The France was built to be an ocean liner. when NCL bought her, they added decks and another pool and made other changes so that she'd be more suited for cruises. That's making an ocean liner into a cruise ship.

Yes, QM2 was built to be a good/sturdy/stable (choose your own adjective) ship for the transatlantic route. But from her first season, she has had a mix of crossings and cruises. It was always Cunard's intention to use her as a sort of hybrid.

Cunard is using QM2 in the way that makes the most money for them. Considering the discounts on last year's crossings, I don't think the demand is there for more crossings.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

How did they "make it into a cruise ship"? They have not altered her. The France was built to be an ocean liner. when NCL bought her, they added decks and another pool and made other changes so that she'd be more suited for cruises. That's making an ocean liner into a cruise ship.

Yes, QM2 was built to be a good/sturdy/stable (choose your own adjective) ship for the transatlantic route. But from her first season, she has had a mix of crossings and cruises. It was always Cunard's intention to use her as a sort of hybrid.

Cunard is using QM2 in the way that makes the most money for them. Considering the discounts on last year's crossings, I don't think the demand is there for more crossings.

Excellent post.

And I would just add that, of course, I assume we all want Cunard to stay financially viable because, if they don't, there will no longer be any of their ships for us to sail on, whether we are obsessed with liners or whether we are happy to sail on vulgar decrepit rustbuckets like the Vistas.

J

Thank you for summing up what the OP is having such a hard time grasping. Liners being used for cruises is nothing new. If QM2 were not intended for cruises, there would not be such a large number of balconies, particularly glass balconies on so many decks.

So the QM2 is a Hybrid. Can you explain. What that means?

Thanks

The OP understands exactly what he posted..They are using the QM2 far more as a cruise ship durning the transatlantic season...there are only 17 crossings compared to 24-26 and what remains of the service is spread out over the entire year..Yes she is a true liner ...And yes she was always planned to be used as a warm weather port ship durning winter months..its the lack of and timings of the crossings out of NYC that have been downgraded..And I supposes poking around Euro ports must use alot less fuel (and the fares are high) So of course far less of what was a big draw to Cunard/QM2 2004-2009 for more travelers than some think ...I bet NYC is real happy they built that new terminal for QM2 and she is now docking about 12 times a year!

Edited by sfbearcat
spelling

So the QM2 is a Hybrid. Can you explain. What that means?

Thanks

In genetics, a hybrid is a cross between two different species. The goal of hybridization is to get the best of both species in one organism.

In the case of QM2, she has the speed and hull structure to fare well in potentially rough seas of the north Atlantic. That's the liner part. As Ginny has pointed out, the ship has balconies, which are typical of cruise ships. QM2 also has lots of open deck space and pools up top, which are considered necessities for a cruise ship. On the two TAs I've done on QM2, it was always too windy to make much use of these open areas. But they were very well used on her cruises.

Does that help. Your question?

In genetics, a hybrid is a cross between two different species. The goal of hybridization is to get the best of both species in one organism.

In the case of QM2, she has the speed and hull structure to fare well in potentially rough seas of the north Atlantic. That's the liner part. As Ginny has pointed out, the ship has balconies, which are typical of cruise ships. QM2 also has lots of open deck space and pools up top, which are considered necessities for a cruise ship. On the two TAs I've done on QM2, it was always too windy to make much use of these open areas. But they were very well used on her cruises.

Does that help. Your question?

Are you a spokesman for Cunard/Cunard?

Are you making an official statement about

The Qm2.? And how Carnival planed the making of The QM2

And the intended use of this Ocean Liner?

Thanks

Are you a spokesman for Cunard/Cunard?

Are you making an official statement about

The Qm2.? And how Carnival planed the making of The QM2

And the intended use of this Ocean Liner?

Thanks

No I am not a spokesperson for Cunard. I'm just repeating what the designer of QM2 said during a talk about her on QE2. It was shortly before or while she was being built, and part of the discussion of design was about the goals of the design--what was the intended use of the ship.

Determining needs and goals is the first part of any good design process.

The audience had no trouble comprehending or accepting the idea of a ship designed to have two purposes--crossing and cruising.

I am concentrating. That's what alerted me to your contradictions.

First you said Mary was a cruise ship.

The QM2 is NOT a ferry,It is a cruise ship. It was intended to be an Ocean Liner,but didn't live up to that role.

Many great Ocean Liners became cruise ships in their later life. Eg: France to Norway. The Mauritania, Statendam , Constitution ,Independence

The Rotterdam became a hotel.

Then you said she was an ocean liner.

Not for me. I always enjoyed the back to back from NY

And sometimes

I don't enjoy the extended cruises nor do I have the min of 21days

The Qm2 is not a cruise ship, but an Ocean liner

You can pick up the Qv or Qm for cruises in Europe

& you can a change of ships.

Which is it turquoise, a cruise ship or an ocean liner? Or did you start this thread because you want our help in figuring it out? :)

Edited by Whitemarsh

I am concentrating. That's what alerted me to your contradictions.

First you said Mary was a cruise ship.

Then you said it was an ocean liner.

Which is it turquoise, a cruise ship or an ocean liner? Or did you start this thread because you want our help in figuring it out? :)

LoL. Read my lips: Qm2 was made as an Ocean liner

But she lost that role and became a cruise ship.

That's good for you, since the QM2 can cruise around Australia

Hope you feel better!

Cheers

No I am not a spokesperson for Cunard. I'm just repeating what the designer of QM2 said during a talk about her on QE2. It was shortly before or while she was being built, and part of the discussion of design was about the goals of the design--what was the intended use of the ship.

Determining needs and goals is the first part of any good design process.

The audience had no trouble comprehending or accepting the idea of a ship designed to have two purposes--crossing and cruising.

The Audience? LOL. That says it all?

I guess they love gossip

Cheers.

The Audience? LOL. That says it all?

I guess they love gossip

Cheers.

Please reread my post. The speaker in this case was the designer of QM2, not some random cruise critic poster, or someone who makes up gossip to pass the time of day. Also, I believe someone has already posted a link to an interview with Mr. Payne, in which he says that QM2 was always intended to do both crossings and cruises.