QM2 no longer a TransAtlantic LINER

turquoise 6

LoL. Read my lips: Qm2 was made as an Ocean liner

But she lost that role and became a cruise ship.

That's good for you, since the QM2 can cruise around Australia

Hope you feel better!

Cheers

She did not lose that role and become a cruise ship. She started as a ship that did both crossings and cruises. She continues to be a ship that does both crossings and cruises. Even in 2010 when we sailed to Norway from Hamburg, there were crossings on either side of the Norway cruise, making it a "grand voyage" as they promoted. This is nothing new so I don't get what you are bemoaning.

LoL. Read my lips: Qm2 was made as an Ocean liner

But she lost that role and became a cruise ship.

That's good for you, since the QM2 can cruise around Australia Hope you feel better!

Cheers

That is good for us. And we're very excited!!

i-CHLQGNS-L.jpg

...And I supposes poking around Euro ports must use alot less fuel (and the fares are high) So of course far less of what was a big draw to Cunard/QM2 2004-2009 for more travelers than some think ...

Goodness gracious me - here was I stupidly imagining that I was gaining loads of enjoyment, and indeed a certain amount of education, from visiting St Petersburg and viewing the glories of the Hermitage, seeing the beauties of the Greek Islands at sunset, visiting Athens and Rome - the twin cradles of Western civilisation, sailing through the Swedish archipelago into Stockholm on a glorious summer morning, watching Mt Teide lit by the early morning sun as we emerged through the top of a uniform cloud sea lying over the island of Tenerife, arriving in Grand Harbour, Valletta just as the sun was coming up...

So thank you, sir, for pointing out that all I was actually doing was "poking round Euro ports". I realise now that for a truly educational experience one must sit for six days on board ship with sod all to see but miles and miles of bloody Atlantic.

Ah well, now I realise the error of my ways.

J

Goodness gracious me - here was I stupidly imagining that I was gaining loads of enjoyment, and indeed a certain amount of education, from visiting St Petersburg and viewing the glories of the Hermitage, seeing the beauties of the Greek Islands at sunset, visiting Athens and Rome - the twin cradles of Western civilisation, sailing through the Swedish archipelago into Stockholm on a glorious summer morning, watching Mt Teide lit by the early morning sun as we emerged through the top of a uniform cloud sea lying over the island of Tenerife, arriving in Grand Harbour, Valletta just as the sun was coming up...

So thank you, sir, for pointing out that all I was actually doing was "poking round Euro ports". I realise now that for a truly educational experience one must sit for six days on board ship with sod all to see but miles and miles of bloody Atlantic.

J

Yeah, but you've got to admit none of this is a patch on Goole.

Sir Martin

J

Same here..... I didn't realize that the draw to QM2 was a 14-day "Cruise to Nowhere"

NB: I don't intend to disparage Southampton by referring to it as "nowhere" but I had the impression that the OP did not plan on disembarking.

Yeah, but you've got to admit none of this is a patch on Goole.

Sir Martin

Thanks you Sir M. I'm sure that a cat of your sensitivity (even a dead one) would realise that I didn't mention Goole for fear of being thought a braggart!

J

...I don't intend to disparage Southampton by referring to it as "nowhere"...

We'll, I'll say this much for Soton, the British always know they've arrived home when the temperature drops like a stone, the rain comes lashing across the decks and the seagulls land on the ship and shelter behind the fixtures and fittings. :D:D

J

I am concentrating. That's what alerted me to your contradictions.

First you said Mary was a cruise ship.

Then you said she was an ocean liner.

Which is it turquoise, a cruise ship or an ocean liner? Or did you start this thread because you want our help in figuring it out? :)

Tomatoes, Tomatos...The bottom line is the bottom line, or "show me the money!" We go on and on on these boards, myself included, about the why's and wherefore's of Cunard's features or declining standards, but Cunard has to survive financially, like the rest of us, and do whatever it takes to achieve that. I'll try to remember that.

Considering what has been happening with Carnival's other ships, I'm hoping for the best.

Excellent post.

And I would just add that, of course, I assume we all want Cunard to stay financially viable because, if they don't, there will no longer be any of their ships for us to sail on, whether we are obsessed with liners or whether we are happy to sail on vulgar decrepit rustbuckets like the Vistas.

J

Times 2

and I still do not know what is so special about a 'liner' :eek:;).

Is this a private, exclusive club or clique?

Not revealing why, just rendering invisible, the preferred dungeon device of the more schoolyard type group dynamics?

Is Cunard exclusive?

Are internet message boards really always about the subject at hand, or often an outlet for personal discontent?

And QM2 is technically a liner.

J

Stop being so sensitive ...its not meant as a personal insult..and if you enjoy "poking" around Euroports good for you..there are QV and QE for your enjoyment ..lets leave QM2 for the Transatlatic fans..cruise ship speeds and all!!

Dear me what a commotion. QM 2 was, as well as QE 2, built as an Ocean Liner which was also suitable AND TO BE USED as CRUISE SHIP - to cruise. To sail to different ports than NY and Southampton.

QM 2 still is doing the Transatlantic´s so where in gods name is the problem.

Ah Whitemarsh - Peter- thanks for the picture- is that you - the left guy in the picture I mean. LOL!!!!

Greetings

Michael

.... ah and we all should keep in mind- without Carnival there wouldn´t be any Queen left to sail on- just a Museum / Hotel ship in Long Beach and maybe a hotel ship in Honkong- if QE 2 does not end up in Alang for scrap before! Which in my opinon is very likely ( sadly ) going to happen sooner or later!

Edited by Germancruiser

This is a part of my RMS Queen Mary 2 review (yet to come...)

The difference between ocean liners and cruise ships

By design an ocean liner must be capable of providing all year round Europe-North America service on schedule across stormy North Atlantic.

An ocean liner after a winter crossing:

1239wkl.jpg

An ocean liner has a stronger, specificly shaped hull, higher speed, more powerful engines than a cruise ship of the same size.

At the same time liners offer the same package of convenience features as comparable cruise ships do.

Liners have some other special features.

Examples: RMS Queen Mary 2 (ocean liner), the Freedom of the Seas (cruise ship)

Both ships are practically equal in Gross Tonnage (internal volume measured in GT, 1 GT=100 cubic feet) and size.

1. 40% more steel has been used to build RMS Queen Mary 2 than a cruise ship of the same size.

2. The hull size vs superstructure size.

The liner: smaller superstructure, significantly larger hull

w0jtk.jpg

3. The liner: the bow that cuts waves rather than flops on them

2q3887a.jpg

Left: RMS Queen Mary 2

Right: MSC Fantasia class ship

10fngo5.jpg

Edited by cruisetrail

4. Going through rough seas: RMS Queen Mary 2 has higher board with lifeboats placed 27 meters above water vs 15 meters on cruise ships (the Norwegian Epic as an example)

2n6vw4h.jpg

What is this?

This is a protection for lifeboats - an afterthought that was urgently added to the Oasis of the Seas after the loss of two forward lifeboats during her transatlantic repositioning voyage (on the Allure the forward lifeboats have been moved further aft)

2b1vna.jpg

5. Propulsion:

RMS Queen Mary 2 - 4 engines/screws 86 MW total

Freedom of the Seas - 3 engines/screws 42 MW total

5. Speed:

RMS Queen Mary 2 - 30 knots

Freedom of the Seas - 22 knots

6. Draught:

RMS Queen Mary 2 - 10.1 m

Freedom of the Seas - 8.53 m

Draught/Stability/Center of buoyancy/Metacentric height - don't go into that.

That's complex and not obvious.

Just note that RMS Queen Mary 2 (ocean liner) sits deeper in water than any cruise ship and there is a good reason for that.

7. Miscellaneous

The kennel on board of RMS Queen Mary 2

29532p0.jpg

Ocean liners normally would carry more luggage than cruise ships.

So additional luggage holds were a part of ocean liners design.

Possibly just for loading the supply, but located where they should be on an ocean liner: cargo hatch and cranes (4 tons)

293dopv.jpg

Well-being at sea and level of comfort

As a part of classic ocean liners heritage, RMS Queen Mary 2 provides First class accomodation, service and facilities - but nowadays for all passengers.

This is one class - First class ship (with some dining privileges for suite passengers) and she provides way way better space ratio than any mega ship afloat, and better than many of so-called premium cruise line ships.

Why does RMS Queen Mary 2 have balconies?

Answer: why not?

This is an ocean liner of 21st century.

By design RMS Queen Mary 2 is equally good for transatlantic crossings and cruises.

Nowadays a balcony is a convenience feature of sea travel.

Even if she would do crossings only - why not have balconies if the size and design of the ship provide so?

BTW balcony cabins on deck 8 (unobstructed ones) and higher are beautiful - with wall-to-wall windows - largest at sea (for standard cabins).

Currently RMS Queen Mary 2 is the only ocean liner in operation.

She is reigning Queen of all ships and the world's merchant fleet flagship.

P.S.

I saw a less than serious remarks regarding RMS Queen Mary (1936) in this thread.

Let me remind that RMS Queen Mary is a hero of WW2 and still holding the world's record - more than 16,000 troops on a single voyage.

RMS Queen Mary went through the hell of war and Atlantic storms.

"She rolled like a pig" - what a disgasting comparison!

Let's imagine a cruise ship carrying 16,000 troops at 30 knots through the North Atlantic... - where RMS Queen Mary would roll - a cruise ship would sink.

If anyone ever asks about the difference between an ocean liner and a cruise ship - let them take a look at this photo:

302536s.jpg

Happy cruising!

Edited by cruisetrail

Excellent, excellent reply which I have been waiting for. I might tactfully suggest that a main difference is that the older designed ships or 'liners' will\could navigate through rougher waters at possibly higher speeds because of those sharper lines at the front of the ship. Now look at the latest Disney design vessel and observe that sharper bow. It would be nice to see how far back the taper goes.

Your excellent picture of the Queen Mary was taken at a time when she was rolling to angles that are beyond uncomfortable and looking at that picture would suggest the captain might want to perhaps consider slowing down a touch. Yes it might have been taken during the Second World War but in those conditions a torpedo attack will be more than unlikely whereas damage from the weather would be a high probability.

When you look at the design of ALL large merchant shipping of that era, might I suggest they all had that same design with the sharp bow for cutting through the water? The modern cruise ship is as you rightly suggest, all about putting numbers into a smaller space. I have also read how the wider beam of these modern ships offer a far more stable platform, the underwater beam and draught allowing water pressure to keep the vessel upright. Longer, slim vessels lack this and are far more prone to rolling which most modern sea going cruise passengers have NEVER experienced to any degree.

The picture shows the ship cutting through the waves at speed and the height of the swell has possibly caught her out?? I note how the stern is not being raised and again this highlights how folks might want to reconsider their views on where the least movement is on these large ships.

Edited by glojo

Times 2

and I still do not know what is so special about a 'liner' :eek:;).

An ocean liner has to be able to cross the Atlantic, or any other ocean and arrive at its destination on time, as well as being built inherently stronger than a ship designed for cruising.

This is why QM2 has a much higher max speed and two gas turbines for extra power when speed is needed.

David.

An ocean liner has to be able to cross the Atlantic, or any other ocean and arrive at its destination on time, as well as being built inherently stronger than a ship designed for cruising...

Ah, so this is what you are all looking for then - a true transatlantic liner. Not the fastest I'll admit, but she can still manage her crossing from Halifax to Liverpool (and vice versa) in 7 nights. Oh, and she can handle the Atlantic year round and she doesn't do cruises.

J

DSC3381_atlantic_companion_zps50f5e236.jpg

Your excellent picture of the Queen Mary was taken at a time when she was rolling to angles that are beyond uncomfortable and looking at that picture would suggest the captain might want to perhaps consider slowing down a touch. Yes it might have been taken during the Second World War but in those conditions a torpedo attack will be more than unlikely whereas damage from the weather would be a high probability.

Would you like me to let him know?

(the late) Sir Martin

An ocean liner has to be able to cross the Atlantic, or any other ocean and arrive at its destination on time, as well as being built inherently stronger than a ship designed for cruising.

This is why QM2 has a much higher max speed and two gas turbines for extra power when speed is needed.

David.

This whole "crossing the Atlantic" business is a bit over-dramatized. In December of 2010 we crossed the Atlantic on the Pacific Princess, which is a small ship, with a pretty wicked storm tossing us about a bit, yet we made it. I have also crossed in QV and the Emerald Princess. None of these were liners but they managed to do the job.

In two weeks I will be crossing on the QE, which will be my fourth crossing on a non-liner.... 8 days instead of 7, but I really don't mind an extra day of someone else cooking for me and cleaning up my quarters ;)

Would you like me to let him know?

(the late) Sir Martin

When you do, could you also point out to him that there appears to be a Chinook helicopter hovering off his port beam. He may wish to be aware of it just in case it represents some kind of safety hazard.

J

When you do, could you also point out to him that there appears to be a Chinook helicopter hovering off his port beam. He may wish to be aware of it just in case it represents some kind of safety hazard.

J

Done.

As it's before the watershed, I can't give you both his response.

Sir Martin