QM2 no longer a TransAtlantic LINER

turquoise 6

Done.

As it's before the watershed, I can't give you both his response.

Sir Martin

Oh, and as you appear to be in communicative mood this morning, could you tell your little mucker Lord Stanley that his former Chief Serf thanks him very much for the dead bird that he must have left behind the TV more than three years ago. The smell was "interesting" but we've found it now and disposed of it. :D

J

Oh, and as you appear to be in communicative mood this morning, could you tell your little mucker Lord Stanley that his former Chief Serf thanks him very much for the dead bird that he must have left behind the TV more than three years ago. The smell was "interesting" but we've found it now and disposed of it. :D

J

He laughed, said you always were pretty bad at clearing stuff up, then he said "tell him to...

... sorry, just remembered the watershed.

Sir Martin

Edited by Norfolk Brit

I think some excellent points are being made and here we have another perfect example of an ocean going liner with its long slim bow.

4383855586_54df163c1d_o.jpg

These tramp steamers would regularly cross the Atlantic on scheduled crossings although by the very definition 'tramp' they can also ply their trade anywhere in the World. The modern container ship also caters for fare paying passengers.

I did notice what I thought was a chinook, the quality of the picture is quite poor and it looked liked the ship was painted in its 'troopship' guise which would have ruled out any type of helicopter presence??

The Chinook and Sea Knight were I believe introduced in the early 1960's??

Would you like me to let him know?

(the late) Sir Martin

My money is on the fact he would be fully aware of that solid water coming over the bow! :)

queen+mary.jpg

Britain+From+Above+-+Maiden+voyage+of+the+Queen+Mary%252C+1936.jpg

Would it be right to suggest any ship crossing the Atlantic at a speed greater than 30knots willdo the trip in less than 5 days!!

Edited by glojo

I might tactfully suggest that a main difference is that the older designed ships or 'liners' will\could navigate through rougher waters at possibly higher speeds because of those sharper lines at the front of the ship.

No, you may not.:)

The difference that allows a liner to "navigate through rougher waters" is not limited to sharper lines even if you call it "a main difference".

And liner's sharper lines are not limited to those at the front of the ship.

Stabilizers are important for smoother ride in rough weather. The Queen mary,in the 1930s,40s (don't know if the ship had them installed later?)

Did not . There fore the heavy rolling. The Ocean liners transAtlantic,use the stabilizers during the day for a smooth ride,but the would not used at night to maker up speed. Ships as United States,Constitution,France, etc

The QM2 have more advanced stabilizers. Of course stabilizers help to reduce roll,but have no affect on bow or forward movement.

Would it be right to suggest any ship crossing the Atlantic at a speed greater than 30knots willdo the trip in less than 5 days!!

Southampton to NYC is +/- 3000 nautical miles so a 30 knot speed would/should complete that distance in 100 hours which is a little over 4 days.

Ah, so this is what you are all looking for then - a true transatlantic liner. Not the fastest I'll admit, but she can still manage her crossing from Halifax to Liverpool (and vice versa) in 7 nights. Oh, and she can handle the Atlantic year round and she doesn't do cruises.

J

DSC3381_atlantic_companion_zps50f5e236.jpg

And they ride nicely too, in spite of the "block o flats" look.:eek::D

Southampton to NYC is +/- 3000 nautical miles so a 30 knot speed would/should complete that distance in 100 hours which is a little over 4 days.

Correct you are again.:D The stated service speed of Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth was 28.5 knots. This allowed a 5 day crossing and thus maintained their weekly service with but 2 ships. This was later passed on to QE2 who also posted a 28.5 knot service speed and, for many years, made the crossing in the same 5 days even though turnaround was gradually reduced from 2 days to 6 hours!:eek::D Haven't we made great progress from those old days??

Edited by Jim Avery

Ah, so this is what you are all looking for then - a true transatlantic liner. Not the fastest I'll admit, but she can still manage her crossing from Halifax to Liverpool (and vice versa) in 7 nights. Oh, and she can handle the Atlantic year round and she doesn't do cruises.

J

DSC3381_atlantic_companion_zps50f5e236.jpg

What's the dress code?

David

WOW, with all said ,at the moment,about True Ocean Liners and how they are capable to sail transatlantic. The Queen Elizabeth(Vista ship) will be doing

a TransAtlantic on March 30,2012. After this post, would any would want to sail on the QE to Southampton?:confused:

Indeed. But, on the upside, you are guaranteed a box at the theatre.

J

This is sounding so good, I can hardly contain myself. BTW, is there any limit to the number of boxes of wine that can be taken on board?

WOW, with all said ,at the moment,about True Ocean Liners and how they are capable to sail transatlantic. The Queen Elizabeth(Vista ship) will be doing

a TransAtlantic on March 30,2012. After this post, would any would want to sail on the QE to Southampton?:confused:

I am on that sailing, and not only have I crossed the Atlantic on Vista ships but also the Pacific Princess which is a small ship. You're right, it's not for sissies.

You've lost me there. Is this in reference to some recent news story?

No no - it's in reference to our very own former cat, Sir Martin, who posts right here on this very board courtesy of his former servant, Norfolk Brit, who is channeling him. Sir M is sarcastic, opinionated, acerbic, and sometimes just downright rude - but he's a lovable old rogue for all that. By the way, please don't tell him I said that last bit - I would hate him to think that I found anything positive to say about him. :D

J

The Audience? LOL. That says it all?

I guess they love gossip

Cheers.

It's the spirit of contradiction, the fervor for public hangings and fox hunts. Yee haw!

Now if that makes no sense to you....:p

If you're still wondering if QM2 is an ocean liner, here are some links that may confirm that she is:

http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary_2

http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Mary-Greatest-Ocean-Liner/dp/0821228846

http://www.20thcenturyliners.com/qm2-info.htm

http://www.seat61.com/queen-mary-2-transatlantic.htm

Edited by Tess of the Sea

No no - it's in reference to our very own former cat, Sir Martin, who posts right here on this very board courtesy of his former servant, Norfolk Brit, who is channeling him. Sir M is sarcastic, opinionated, acerbic, and sometimes just downright rude - but he's a lovable old rogue for all that. By the way, please don't tell him I said that last bit - I would hate him to think that I found anything positive to say about him. :D

J

Norfolk Brit's an animal psychic is he? I wish my deceased cat would come back and speak about ocean liners too!:) Only if Sir Martin would be kind enough to share Norfolk Brit?

Ok, now this IS bonkers.:eek: Back to ocean liners...

I am on that sailing, and not only have I crossed the Atlantic on Vista ships but also the Pacific Princess which is a small ship. You're right, it's not for sissies.

Well Bon Voyage!! I'm talking about the Sea sickness factor. Pitching and rolling,rolling and pitching. It must be felt more on those cruise ships?

Bon Voyage:)

J

Now tell us what you really think ;)