Rhapsody of the Seas Compass

• 2 weeks later...
Here is day 1 of our February cruise.

Day 1 Compass

THANKS KEN. Nice to get a look at Compass and the rest of the blog is a great read. Our travel agent has booked us into the IBIS the night before we sail. I'll probably be too excited to sleep much that night anyway.

Cruise diary is a work in progress. I am not sure how much info and detail to put into it though, and it was not till i started that i realised i could have taken heaps more photos!

I have all 11 days worth of the CC and was not sure if people wanted to see them or not, looks like people do so when I have time off I will scan them all.

Catr13, I see you will be doing the same 12 nighter as us next month. I am looking forward to visiting the island of Santos.

Cruise diary is a work in progress. I am not sure how much info and detail to put into it though, and it was not till i started that i realised i could have taken heaps more photos!

I have all 11 days worth of the CC and was not sure if people wanted to see them or not, looks like people do so when I have time off I will scan them all.

Catr13, I see you will be doing the same 12 nighter as us next month. I am looking forward to visiting the island of Santos.

Yes I would love to read more CC if you get a chance to scan.

Yes I am very much looking forwards to all the ports. I have never been to any before and when I saw this itinerary I thought it was the cream of the crop!! You are so lucky to be going back again so soon!!

I think in terms of preparing for a cruise as a newbie (except for 40 years ago) and given that I like to be well prepared I'd like to see a thread called 'little details' .... or 'nuts and bolts' .... or 'obsessive compulsive' :eek:

Nope I'm not that bad. There must be a balance on this website where you have to pick out the best and ignore the bad. I'm trying to do just that while planning to have an absolute ball when I get there.

I have added days 2 & 3 to this. After today I have a few days off and I will try my best to get all 10 of them online for everyone to see. I will try to get some of the other pages done as well including pictures.

I have added days 2 & 3 to this. After today I have a few days off and I will try my best to get all 10 of them online for everyone to see. I will try to get some of the other pages done as well including pictures.

Thanks Ken, Appreciate the effort.

I have all the CC's there now plus some info for decks 6 & 5.

New link for it as well. My Cruise Diary

I'm just now getting a quick chance to read through all your Compass scans. Thanks for doing that, it's very nice to be able to see what to expect.

I'm wondering if you and other passengers (if you know) got amounts of the local cash before leaving on your cruise, or if you were able to use just Aussie $. We were advised by our bank that Aussie $ in the Pacific Islands would be fine and American $ in The Samoas was all that we'd need, but I'm reading in Compass that perhaps we would be wise to have some local currency. We have looked into a multi currency 'travel card' but I'm sure that we'd be better off having cash for villages in the Pacific.

If that's the case I'd rather be able to scare some up locally here rather than have to chase down some on the ship.

Again, any advice is welcome. Thanks, Helen :)

Your Compass scans again Ken: Interesting to see the reference to Make A Wish and their 'Wishes at Sea' programme. I'm hoping that this may be a regular cruise activity, and not a special one off for the cruise you were on.

One of our sons is the president for Make A Wish (Brisbane South East Branch) and at 33 years old he's been a volunteer for the past 13 years. We've done our bit supporting him and the foundation in those years, but it would be a special privilege to do so at sea.

On the recent Voyager of the Seas itinerary I was on, there was a "Walk the Equator" Make A Wish item in the compass every day from Port Hedland to Bangkok, and I recall another Make A Wish programme on the previous Radiance cruise but can't recall the fine details.

So it does seem like a regular item on RCI cruises.

On the recent Voyager of the Seas itinerary I was on, there was a "Walk the Equator" Make A Wish item in the compass every day from Port Hedland to Bangkok, and I recall another Make A Wish programme on the previous Radiance cruise but can't recall the fine details.

So it does seem like a regular item on RCI cruises.

Oh that is good to know. I know how hard my son works for Make A Wish and the kids they look after. Thanks for adding to the information for me.

I'm just now getting a quick chance to read through all your Compass scans. Thanks for doing that, it's very nice to be able to see what to expect.

I'm wondering if you and other passengers (if you know) got amounts of the local cash before leaving on your cruise, or if you were able to use just Aussie $. We were advised by our bank that Aussie $ in the Pacific Islands would be fine and American $ in The Samoas was all that we'd need, but I'm reading in Compass that perhaps we would be wise to have some local currency. We have looked into a multi currency 'travel card' but I'm sure that we'd be better off having cash for villages in the Pacific.

If that's the case I'd rather be able to scare some up locally here rather than have to chase down some on the ship.

Again, any advice is welcome. Thanks, Helen :)

I have used AUD at most places without a worry. Saying that, in noumea I did, but got francs back as change. The lady gave me 50 francs as a 50 cent piece, so you need to be careful there.

The people on the small island stops will take AU$.

Suva - they like you to have Fiji money at a lot of shops, but some take either. I got some from the hole in the wall and paid $7 for it.

I have heard that you can get local $ from guest services, but I have never done it.

Your Compass scans again Ken: Interesting to see the reference to Make A Wish and their 'Wishes at Sea' programme. I'm hoping that this may be a regular cruise activity, and not a special one off for the cruise you were on.

One of our sons is the president for Make A Wish (Brisbane South East Branch) and at 33 years old he's been a volunteer for the past 13 years. We've done our bit supporting him and the foundation in those years, but it would be a special privilege to do so at sea.

On our 4 RC cruises there has been the wishes at seas event, selling T-shirts and the walk ( one 1 the walk was cancelled due to weather). On one cruise (Cruisin Country in 2011) over $7000 was raised.

We always support this cause, and since we already have the shirts, we make a donation & not take a shirt.

I have used AUD at most places without a worry. Saying that, in noumea I did, but got francs back as change. The lady gave me 50 francs as a 50 cent piece, so you need to be careful there.

The people on the small island stops will take AU$.

Suva - they like you to have Fiji money at a lot of shops, but some take either. I got some from the hole in the wall and paid $7 for it.

I have heard that you can get local $ from guest services, but I have never done it.

Thanks for the advice :)

On our 4 RC cruises there has been the wishes at seas event, selling T-shirts and the walk ( one 1 the walk was cancelled due to weather). On one cruise (Cruisin Country in 2011) over $7000 was raised.

We always support this cause, and since we already have the shirts, we make a donation & not take a shirt.

Lovely, thanks for the info. I will look out for it on our cruise. Talking with my son he says that RC lines are very loyal supporters of Make A Wish and that he has a very easy task when arranging a Wish cruise for kids under his area care.

Apparently they have even arranged for a MAW luncheon to be served on one of their ships whilst in port to let all volunteers see what goes on so that they can relate to it when organising a wish. He knew we are going cruising, but hadn't realised that it was with Royal Caribbean. Typical son - they don't take in the details of what we get up to until it is stuck under his nose as we are leaving :D

It's been a regular activity on RCI ships for a while now - they did it on the Rhapsody when I was on her a week ago and on Radiance, back in 2011. It usually takes place late in the cruise - last day, or 2nd last day.