The End for Tower Bridge

norm2002

Here is the website for the hotel. It's slogan is 'Welcome Home' and that's just like Seabourn! OK, I am biased. I could stay close-by for less, but would never consdider it. There are a few steps up to the lobby, but they can be managed. In addition, it's a short alley-way out the back from the American Bar to St james Street and then a quick few blocks to Fortnums and the Ritz, and the Royal Academy. The concierge service is superb! While cocktails are not included, breakfast is and I usually dine in the Bar. Tea is splendid and there is a wonderful restaurant for other dining needs. There is room service 24 hours, of course. Often, I have Sunday dinner in the restaurant and then have dessert and tea afterwards in my room, while catching the EastEnders omnibus. If you have a Virtuoso agent, there are a few other benefits built in. I mentioned that in a post in that thread. The rooms vary in size, so that could be discussed.

Last August, there were about 12 of us who were staying there prior to our Pride cruise. That Sunday, unbeknownst earlier to Seabourn, was the London triathalon. Even bofore I had arrived, the Concierge staff had alerted Seabourn that traffic around the hotel would be diverted and arranged transport for us.

They are most receptive to guests needs, I have seen that over the last few years.

Hope this helps.

Jane

http://www.thestaffordhotel.co.uk/

Lord of the Seas:

THe Grosvenor House Hotel would be perfect except it's undergoing an extensive renovation to both the public areas and the rooms. Appears that it won't be completed until next year. Having stayed in hotels that are undergoing major renovations, I can say that it can be unpleasant.

My wife & I would prefer a modern hotel,such as the Riverbank Park Plaza, except on the north side of the Thames. Any suggestions?

Leonid

Lord of the Seas:

THe Grosvenor House Hotel would be perfect except it's undergoing an extensive renovation to both the public areas and the rooms. Appears that it won't be completed until next year. Having stayed in hotels that are undergoing major renovations, I can say that it can be unpleasant.

My wife & I would prefer a modern hotel,such as the Riverbank Park Plaza, except on the north side of the Thames. Any suggestions?

Leonid

Hi Leonid,The Riverbank Park Plaza is another new Hotel which has only been open for five minutes as well.it is better situated than the City Inn and has better views as it looks west towards the Houses of Parliament.I can only recommend what I consider to be of good quality.You could also look at The Marriot County hall which is on the River at Westminster bridge and has excellent views of Parliament and the London Eye and is good for transport links.if you stay at one of the new and untried Hotels you can be our "Tester" and report back to us all but "beware" and "Good Luck"

Regards

John

Lord of the Seas: Did book the Riverbank Park Plaza directly through their "800" number here in the US...was much cheaper than Expedia and most of the other Internet sites...will post our experience after we return from the cruise.

If you are interested in reviews from people who have stayed at a myriad of hotels in London, try TripAdviser.com. The site helped me decide at which hotels I did not want to stay. Excellent reviews!

Again, thanks for all your help. Congrats on winning the 2012 Olympics. My sympathies to all the families who lost loved ones to the SOBs who perpetrated the dastardly act What cowards!. May they all rot in hell!

Leonid

• 2 weeks later...

Keith1010: Using a search engine (I am addicted to Google), type in "Riverbank+Park+plaza+London+UK" (don't use the quotes). There will be plenty of sites from which you can glean info on the hotel.

Leonid

Keith: A good website to read what real people have to say about their stay at the Riverbank Park Plaza is TripAdvisor.com. When you bring it up, navigate to "London,UK" and eventually you will find the hotel. The reviews really helped me decide that the Riverbank was where we wanted to stay....Enjoy!

Leonid

Norm,

Quick question; where is "Tower Bridge Upper"? Is it a mooring? Our cruise supposedly leaves from "Tower Bridge Pier" which doesn't show up as such on the A-Z map. Is it the same as the "Tower Millenium Pier"?

As of 21 July PLA still has us leaving from upstream of the bridge.

Thanks,

John

Hi John

Never heard of Tower Bridge Upper. If you're taking a cab, you need to ask for Tower Pier in Lower Thames Street. It is also known as Tower Millenium Pier.

Here's a map that should help. You get to the pier from the 'ST' in LWR THAMES ST. There should be porters waiting for you there.

46745312.TowerPier.jpg

Hope the weather when you get to London is better than it is now. It was great until Friday but this week we've had lots of rain.

Norm,

Thanks. The dual names were confusing.

I have my fingers crossed that "upper" does mean upstream of TB. I need to get a better picture than my wife's cousin! He took the Pride(?) to Norway etc. earlier this month and did miss the trip through the bridge.

Rain? London? July? Say it isn't so. :rolleyes: At least you didn't mention that the temperatures were as "warm" as they were in Februray.

John

Norm,

Quick question; where is "Tower Bridge Upper"? Is it a mooring? Our cruise supposedly leaves from "Tower Bridge Pier" which doesn't show up as such on the A-Z map. Is it the same as the "Tower Millenium Pier"?

As of 21 July PLA still has us leaving from upstream of the bridge.

Thanks,

John

Hi Bearjt,

The part of the River Thames between Tower Bridge and Wapping is called the Pool of London.This is split into two parts,The Upper Pool and the Lower Pool

The Upper pool starts at Tower Bridge and finishes at Wapping Old Stairs and the Lower Pool starts here and finishes at Ratcliffe cross Stairs.This means that if you leave from the Upper Pool that you do not go through the Bridge but you leave from the East side of it

Regards

John

Archived