Paying for RCI shore tours... when

Dawn, if you book directly with the train it is half the price. Email: Barbara@taieri.co.nz Even though the email address is Barbara, it is actually Murray. You can then cancel with RCI. Just tell Murray the date and ship you are on. He will book you on and you can pay at the station when you get there - credit card or cash. Tell Murray you are on Cruise Critic.

The rumour of the train being fully booked by the ship is rubbish - they are two different trains. The one booked by the ship leaves from the ship -this one leaves from Dunedin Railway Station.

Cheers

Di

Thanks for this Di - I'll look into this a bit more, I too normally do independent tours, did the Whitepass Train in Alaska by way of the ship tour, but generally we do our own thing.

Trying to arrange an independent atv 1/2 day tour in Wellington at the moment but will look back into booking direct with train for Dunedin.

cheers

Firstly, if you book this tour directly with Taieri Gorge, you do NOT have to pay until you pick up your tickets, so no money is lost! Whilst your intentions are "probably" not to scaremonger, you are scare mongering. No ship can guarantee any port so one has to book on the assumption that the ship will dock or the tenders will get them to shore and if they don't, all excursions whether booked with the ship or independently won't happen, disappointing but occasionally it happens!

Cheers

Di

I am somewhat offended by your continued assumption that I am scare-mongering (and that I am intentionally doing that). My comments were made in good faith - I am well aware that ships miss ports, are late to ports and so forth. What I was saying was that if a person has their heart set on one activity, they might (note the word "might" - I never said they should do anything) consider a ship excursion a safer bet. Yes, they are more expensive but just because you think they are a rip off does not mean others do and they do have a place for some people.

The cat123 knew what I meant - from my perspective you seem to have taken a line and will not consider others might think differently.

I will not bother with this topic any more - what started as a comment to the OP's question has turned into an attack and I am sick of it.

The rumour of the train being fully booked by the ship is rubbish - they are two different trains. The one booked by the ship leaves from the ship -this one leaves from Dunedin Railway Station.

Cheers

Di

You certain about this?

When we went a few weeks ago the train took us from the ship and the first stop was Pukerangi (I think that was the name) where they unhooked the locomotive and put it on the front of the train for the return journey back to Dunedin. This is a single rail line and I am very certain we never met the train you are talking about

You certain about this?

When we went a few weeks ago the train took us from the ship and the first stop was Pukerangi (I think that was the name) where they unhooked the locomotive and put it on the front of the train for the return journey back to Dunedin. This is a single rail line and I am very certain we never met the train you are talking about

Thinking about this a little more

Your train would of had to leave Dunedin before us enabling us to follow it and then follow us on the return and we didn't get much time to spare after a quick tour around Dunedin on the way back to the ship before sail away

• 1 month later...

Archived