Please Help Ultimate Beverage Lets Get Fact

Cruisegirl6

Also as for tax they wait until international waters to charge you for the ubp to avoid it. You will pay state tax on drinks bought before you are in international waters. The tax is not included in the ubp.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

We had ordered a couple drinks before we bought the package later in the afternoon of the first day. We WERE charged for the drinks we had before we bought the package. On the flip side, I didn't ask anyone about removing those charges, either.

That's pretty crummy, paying for the package AND getting charged for drinks under the threshold.

The package was okay - I doubt I would do it for a seven day cruise (I can't keep up that pace for seven full days, lol :eek:). For a 3 or 4 day cruise I would probably do it again, depending on what my plans for excursions would be. I didn't like having to wear the wrist band (though I understand why they did it).

Yes, it was a bit too much for our weeklong cruise this past week. We didn't break even, and the nagging pressure to make it "worth it" outweighed the benefit of not worrying about how much we were spending on drinks. It simply costs too much for what it is and for its limitations.

What I meant was that if you got double-charged for the first day, Guest Services onboard would probably be willing to consider doing something. Your situation was different, and I don't really see them making an exception for you and refunding the first day. I haven't heard of them doing that for anyone.

I expect NCL to stand by what their representative told me before my cruise. I likely would not have purchased the package otherwise, because it's much more clear-cut that it's difficult to make it "worth it" if you pay the same $49/day+15% for the partial embarkation day.

I'm not expecting an exception; I'm expecting to get what I was told, in writing. The fact is that there's a lot of uncertainty around the UBP and, I suspect, NCL likes to maintain that uncertainty to a certain degree because it makes them money. They need to take their lumps and honor their commitments to customers when that uncertainty bites them too.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

You could always try calling guest services. It is supposed to be retroactive but the system is relatively new. Based on reviews it sounds like some things vary from ship to ship. I've found that a lot of the time it depends on who you talk to. And found that is up to you to follow up. We shouldn't have to but at least it helps ensure stuff is done right.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Yes, it was a bit too much for our weeklong cruise this past week. We didn't break even, and the nagging pressure to make it "worth it" outweighed the benefit of not worrying about how much we were spending on drinks. It simply costs too much for what it is and for its limitations.

Exactly my thoughts. Unless both/all in the same cabin drink quite a lot of liquor, every day, I don't think the UBP is worth it. Especially if only one of a couple drink a lot and the other drinks just a little. In that kind of situation, there has to be a lot of mental pressure to drink more to get one's moneys worth. Even folks who love to get the UBP have commented that they had probably drank more than they would have otherwise, partly because they wanted to be sure they got their moneys worth for the UBP.

Exactly my thoughts. Unless both/all in the same cabin drink quite a lot of liquor, every day, I don't think the UBP is worth it. Especially if only one of a couple drink a lot and the other drinks just a little. In that kind of situation, there has to be a lot of mental pressure to drink more to get one's moneys worth. Even folks who love to get the UBP have commented that they had probably drank more than they would have otherwise, partly because they wanted to be sure they got their moneys worth for the UBP.

Both of us drank quite a lot of liquor and wine, and we still didn't quite break even...though I believe we were pretty close. I can't even imagine trying to make it work if only one out of 2 people drink at all or in any significant quantity. On its face the program sounds great, but in the end it's just another money maker for NCL. I don't regret trying it once though, just so I can be sure about whether or not to purchase it in the future.

• 5 months later...
Does anyone have recent bar prices. Looking at frozen drinks (eg. Pina Colada) & beers? Thank you

I saw this on another post. It may help you.

If you're looking for the Unlimited Drink Package be aware that Norwegian raised its price to $62/day plus gratuity and tax. For two people it comes out to be $1000 more. :(

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-drink-lists/

I saw this on another post. It may help you.

If you're looking for the Unlimited Drink Package be aware that Norwegian raised its price to $62/day plus gratuity and tax. For two people it comes out to be $1000 more. :(

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-drink-lists/

That info from gambe is old and the package price is $59 plus gratuity or if you prepay $54 plus gratuity. That $10 more per couple per day so 7 day cruise is$70... If you are talking total price for 2 it's about $850

My experience: free pour. Not stupid generous pours, but not skimpy either.

A free pour is not an "anything" pour. All pours are a "count" pour. Depending on what kind of nozzle there is on the bottle, an once is either 4 seconds or 6 seconds. They start and stop the pour by putting a finger on the air hole on the nozzle.

They have to do a complete liquor inventory between cruises and they do have to be within a certain acceptable limit of difference between inventory/sold quantities.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by sebas030

A free pour is not an "anything" pour. All pours are a "count" pour. Depending on what kind of nozzle there is on the bottle, an once is either 4 seconds or 6 seconds. They start and stop the pour by putting a finger on the air hole on the nozzle.

They have to do a complete liquor inventory between cruises and they do have to be within a certain acceptable limit of difference between inventory/sold quantities.

Thank you. I was a bartender for six years. I understand what a free pour is. OP is referring to the difference between using a jigger to measure and a free pour. A free pour tends to be more generous than a jigger.

It's called pour cost -- not acceptable limit. 6 seconds is not the same as a 6 count. If you up-end the bottle for six seconds, you will be over pouring to the nth degree.

But thanks for playing.

Edited by triptolemus

I was just going by what the NCL agent told me. She said it would cost $1000 for twp people. I told her I didn't think that was worth it.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

We were on the Dawn in May, we didnt get the drink package, and believe me, we like to drink.....We added up our charges and didnt come close to $900 in drinks.....For us, it wasnt worth it. Some days we just didnt feel like drinking alot.

...But thanks for playing.

:rolleyes:

Bartender for 6 years and still can't pour a perfect once without the jigger ?

With your experience you must know a drink is a mixture of chemicals...over pour or under pour is a bad drink...why would you be happy with an over pour drink ?

We bought the UBP on the Jewel in Oct. it was worth every penny. We only felt over served one night. We drank after we go back from

Shore excursions by the pool, then maybe one or two at dinner then at night at a club or bar. We kept all our receipts( well most of them) and they added up to nearly $900.

You can order the drink of the day, but not in the souvenir glass. You cannot get buckets of beer. No Martini's. No specialty coffee drinks.

I'm trying to remember more, but it's late. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I thought with the new UBP you can now order most martins because only one was above price limit. Still debating it , but thinking about those days off the boat in Bermuda. I don't want to feel wasteful if I drink off the ship or if there is a day when you don't feel like drinking a bunch. I'm also scared of being handed a 1200 buck drink tab. More than likely will purchase it. If it's not worth it I won't do it again. Guess il better make up the mind soon

Sent from my iPad using Forums