Cruising on the Valor with baby/toddler: Let me in on your tips/tricks/secrets etc.

ShanteS

Hello Fellow Cruise Addicts!!

After an extremely longggg hiatus from cruising (not by choice I might add) I'm finally booked and ready for August and the Valor. However, this time will be different. I've only cruised as a single gal but I'm a mommy now and my daughter will be an almost 2 year old when we sail. I've been so excited the past couple days, I've been doing research on each port and everything. During bath time I had an "Oh s***!" moment...the cabins only have showers?!?! And then I realized I had a ton of questions. This will be my first time cruising with her and it will just be her and I in a cabin (other family plan to come along but have yet to book a cabin so we could very well be going alone).

Where do you bathe baby/toddler? She only gets baths and has never had a shower before. I always where flip flops in the showers but what about her?

How does eating in the MDR work? I'm assuming they have high chairs and booster seats?

Do they have activities for the younger than 2 age group on the Valor like story times etc. in the mornings or at all during the cruise?

Any tips and tricks from experienced parents? I'd love to hear them all.

Thanks!

Edited by ShanteS

I read that u can bring an inflatable tub, and use as a tub, on floor of the shower, and also as a little pool on your balcony or deck. Also buy disposable bibs, disposable placemats.

We are travelling with a one year old, on the valor in November in south carrib. My biggest concern is what can we do in each of the ports with a 1yr old besides going to the beach. Will a 1yr old be allowed on a catamaran tour??? Any suggestions for these ports? Day care doesn't take under 2yrs old, so have to take her with us.

thanks, jean

Hello Fellow Cruise Addicts!!

After an extremely longggg hiatus from cruising (not by choice I might add) I'm finally booked and ready for August and the Valor. However, this time will be different. I've only cruised as a single gal but I'm a mommy now and my daughter will be an almost 2 year old when we sail. I've been so excited the past couple days, I've been doing research on each port and everything. During bath time I had an "Oh s***!" moment...the cabins only have showers?!?! And then I realized I had a ton of questions. This will be my first time cruising with her and it will just be her and I in a cabin (other family plan to come along but have yet to book a cabin so we could very well be going alone).

Where do you bathe baby/toddler? She only gets baths and has never had a shower before. I always where flip flops in the showers but what about her?

How does eating in the MDR work? I'm assuming they have high chairs and booster seats?

Do they have activities for the younger than 2 age group on the Valor like story times etc. in the mornings or at all during the cruise?

Any tips and tricks from experienced parents? I'd love to hear them all.

Thanks!

what exactly is your sail date in Aug.

I am sailing on 8/4. While I really cant answer your baby questions, I am sure that that there a tons of people here on CC that can.

Baby sunglasses, baby hat, baby sunscreen. Or maybe a sun-block shirt/shorts.

Yes, find a tiny inflatable tub for deck & baths in shower.

What ports?

Ohhh ok. Great. The inflatable tub is a good idea. What do you blow them up with though? :confused: I definitely wouldn't be able to do myself.

what exactly is your sail date in Aug.

I am sailing on 8/4. While I really cant answer your baby questions, I am sure that that there a tons of people here on CC that can.

Hey! We're on the 8/4 sailing too! Is there a roll call set up yet?

I read that u can bring an inflatable tub, and use as a tub, on floor of the shower, and also as a little pool on your balcony or deck. Also buy disposable bibs, disposable placemats.

We are travelling with a one year old, on the valor in November in south carrib. My biggest concern is what can we do in each of the ports with a 1yr old besides going to the beach. Will a 1yr old be allowed on a catamaran tour??? Any suggestions for these ports? Day care doesn't take under 2yrs old, so have to take her with us.

thanks, jean

Disposable bibs and placemats is a great idea. I'll add that to my list. It is true that Camp Carnival will not take babes under 2 during the day but they will take them at night for a small fee I forget what the times for this are though. So that gives us some adult time at night at least. I've never spent much time in the piano bars on my other cruises but I'm looking forward to it this time.

I'm not sure which excursions are baby/toddler friendly but I'd suggest going to check out the family cruises board for some ideas, advice, and inspirations for kid friendly excursions. I haven't gone on a catamaran tour so I can't give much advice on that or how safe it'd be. Will you have your own lifevest/jacket for baby? Some excursion companies may not have one that fits.

I suggest you bring pre- packaged snacks that your child likes (mini bags of goldfish crackers or raisins, etc). Helps to have them on port days when you are not sure of what may be available on shore. Pack a few juice pouches as well.

You can usually only take pre-packaged food off of the boat.

Also--- bring a travel pack of wipes to wash hands before eating.

Have cruised with 3 year old and had a blast. I wanted to avoid ports with car / taxi transportation because we weren't bringing a car seat with us - you may want to bring a portable car seat depending where you are going. We went to one port on a large tour bus in the U.S. for a short trip only. We just used the shower -with the hand-held sprayer it was fine. They have booster seats / high chairs in DR's I believe. We had her sleep in bed.

If it is just you and your child going I strongly recommend changing your sailing until she is 2 years old. Camp Carnival won't take them until they are 2. I cruised with my then 15 month old and told myself never again until was 2. Just the 2 of us cruised at 26 months and what a world of difference! Check out the family boards for packing tips.

camp carnival does not take kids under 2. However on port days you can take them I think for a fee while you go on an excursion. I sailed with my son when he was one but we did a suite and had a tub. When my son was 2 and 3 we had a regular cabin and he just took a shower with me.

camp carnival does have times during the day where you can do family activites, you have to be present.

I did bring the disposable placemats and bibs. Also sippy cups and diapers. They do not sell diapers on board that I remember. We would get extra milk from the lunch line and keep it in the fridge for nap time and bedtime.

We have never used a car seat. We did do excrusions when my son was 2 and 3 to a beach and he sat in a seat next to me. We haven never had a problem and have been in a shared van with other folks that have little ones and noone ever had a car seat

Dining room staff is great. Usually they brought my son's food when we got our first appetizer. They do have highchairs and always had it at the table for my son when we arrived after our first night...they knew he was coming.

The kids pool. Well if you want to call it that. They do not allow any kids in swim diapers in ANY pool. Even the kids pool. That really sucked. We couldnt go swimming at all on the ship.

However on my last cruise we did see several kids in diapers in the main pool.

We did bring snacks. Fruit snacks and gold fish. We would also grab a couple of boxes of dry cereal at breakfast like fruit loops to have on hand for a snack.

Let me know if you have any other questions. My son is 3 and has been on 3 cruises and now I am taking him on a TA. He will be 4 then.

Oh yes I do have my camp carnival activity sheet from my Valor cruise (which was out of MIA) and also have my Victory camp carnival sheet which was from SJU in January. I dont know how to attach here but I would be happy to scan and email it to you

I will be taking my son with us on our first cruise in May. As for the shower, he's taken "Big Boy" showers with me holding him, done it since he was a few days old. I say try that.

As for the swimming pools, I understand he won't be able to get in on the ship. That's why we plan on doing the beaches on port days.

Lastly, it's all up to you in having your child with you during a cruise. I'm very big into "family" times and would never postpone something because my child is not of age. even tho things may sound more "difficult", I've never regretted doing something together with my child.

I'm a father of 3 (17, 11 and 15 months) and have many great memmories.

:)

They have a kids menue (although you can order things off the adult menue for kids) which includes a banana split. There are highchairs - I usually left an extra tip sitting on my son's chair. Leave a bit early to go to dinner and let your little one run through the halls to use up some energy and take things to occupy her while waiting for food or use the buffet.

I asked for extra towels and set one in the shower then used the hand held part to shower my son. He wasn't thrilled, but it worked. If you have room for the blow up baths/pools that sounds great.

I was one of those few you see hauling a car seat around (he also had his own seat on the plane with his car seat). It was a pain, but the fear of something happening to him would have been worse. I did the research.

Spend the extra to put her in camp carnival when you can and have some sans baby time.

Pack lots of snacks (I used zip locks) and make sure to have them with you at all times.

Lots of baby wipes.

Take any medications she might need (tylenol, swimmers ear med). Anything you buy baby specific on board will cost a lot.

Be prepared for the staff to dote on her. I couldn't believe how many of the staff knew my son's name by the end of the cruise. He ate it up.

Know this cruise will not be like your cruises before. Embrace the differences and enjoy.:D

Have cruised with 3 year old and had a blast. I wanted to avoid ports with car / taxi transportation because we weren't bringing a car seat with us - you may want to bring a portable car seat depending where you are going. We went to one port on a large tour bus in the U.S. for a short trip only. We just used the shower -with the hand-held sprayer it was fine. They have booster seats / high chairs in DR's I believe. We had her sleep in bed.

If it'll just be her and I I doubt I'll be able to bring her carseat too. The thing is HUGE (Graco My Ride 70). Anyways, if need be we'll skip excursions and just do short tours/walks close by the ship or not get off at all as I've been to all of the ports once or twice anyway. She cosleeps with me at home so she'll be doing the same on the ship.

If it is just you and your child going I strongly recommend changing your sailing until she is 2 years old. Camp Carnival won't take them until they are 2. I cruised with my then 15 month old and told myself never again until was 2. Just the 2 of us cruised at 26 months and what a world of difference! Check out the family boards for packing tips.

Nah, as bad as I need a vacation we're going. LOL Besides, I have a huge conference to prepare for the following week after the cruise so I can't miss it. I know Camp Carnival won't take her during the day but I have called and confirmed that they will take children under 2 at night for an hourly fee. I believe it's from 10p-3a. And even if they won't take her it's not a big deal to me. The main reason for this vacation is relaxation so I will have no problem relaxing on my balcony with a good book while she sleeps. I will definitely be going to check out the family boards. Thanks. :)

camp carnival does not take kids under 2. However on port days you can take them I think for a fee while you go on an excursion. I sailed with my son when he was one but we did a suite and had a tub. When my son was 2 and 3 we had a regular cabin and he just took a shower with me.

camp carnival does have times during the day where you can do family activites, you have to be present.

I did bring the disposable placemats and bibs. Also sippy cups and diapers. They do not sell diapers on board that I remember. We would get extra milk from the lunch line and keep it in the fridge for nap time and bedtime.

We have never used a car seat. We did do excrusions when my son was 2 and 3 to a beach and he sat in a seat next to me. We haven never had a problem and have been in a shared van with other folks that have little ones and noone ever had a car seat

Dining room staff is great. Usually they brought my son's food when we got our first appetizer. They do have highchairs and always had it at the table for my son when we arrived after our first night...they knew he was coming.

The kids pool. Well if you want to call it that. They do not allow any kids in swim diapers in ANY pool. Even the kids pool. That really sucked. We couldnt go swimming at all on the ship.

However on my last cruise we did see several kids in diapers in the main pool.

We did bring snacks. Fruit snacks and gold fish. We would also grab a couple of boxes of dry cereal at breakfast like fruit loops to have on hand for a snack.

Let me know if you have any other questions. My son is 3 and has been on 3 cruises and now I am taking him on a TA. He will be 4 then.

Thanks for your reply. That's too bad they don't allow toddlers in the kiddie pool but I'll just bring her an inflatable one that I can use on the balcony. I booked this vacation knowing we'd probably only be able to do beach excursions and that's fine with me. As long as she's happy and having fun then so am I. :) I'm so excited to take her.

Oh yes I do have my camp carnival activity sheet from my Valor cruise (which was out of MIA) and also have my Victory camp carnival sheet which was from SJU in January. I dont know how to attach here but I would be happy to scan and email it to you

Oh that would be great! My email address is shante.sims@yahoo.com. Thank you!

I will be taking my son with us on our first cruise in May. As for the shower, he's taken "Big Boy" showers with me holding him, done it since he was a few days old. I say try that.

As for the swimming pools, I understand he won't be able to get in on the ship. That's why we plan on doing the beaches on port days.

Lastly, it's all up to you in having your child with you during a cruise. I'm very big into "family" times and would never postpone something because my child is not of age. even tho things may sound more "difficult", I've never regretted doing something together with my child.

I'm a father of 3 (17, 11 and 15 months) and have many great memmories.

:)

The shower with baby sounds tricky, I'll have to try that one day. :) I'm big on family time as well so this vacation won't be postponed. I just want to cruise and since I can't stand to be away from her she's coming along. Thanks for you help. :)

They have a kids menue (although you can order things off the adult menue for kids) which includes a banana split. There are highchairs - I usually left an extra tip sitting on my son's chair. Leave a bit early to go to dinner and let your little one run through the halls to use up some energy and take things to occupy her while waiting for food or use the buffet.

I asked for extra towels and set one in the shower then used the hand held part to shower my son. He wasn't thrilled' date=' but it worked. If you have room for the blow up baths/pools that sounds great.

I was one of those few you see hauling a car seat around (he also had his own seat on the plane with his car seat). It was a pain, but the fear of something happening to him would have been worse. I did the research.

Spend the extra to put her in camp carnival when you can and have some sans baby time.

Pack lots of snacks (I used zip locks) and make sure to have them with you at all times.

Lots of baby wipes.

Take any medications she might need (tylenol, swimmers ear med). Anything you buy baby specific on board will cost a lot.

Be prepared for the staff to dote on her. I couldn't believe how many of the staff knew my son's name by the end of the cruise. He ate it up.

Know this cruise will not be like your cruises before. Embrace the differences and enjoy.:D[/quote']

Thank you for replying. I was wondering if they had a kids menu. Did you have to fly to port? If so, how was your son on the flight? If anything worries me it's that part of the trip. We'll be flying from Maryland to PR and that's a 5-6 hour flight. I'd hate to be the parent with the screaming baby on the flight. I'd feel horrible. :( And thank you for the dinner time tip. She doesn't normally sit for too long so I think letting her walk/explore a bit before hand is a great idea. Thanks again.

We did the Glory out of Boston this past July. The best thing that we did is go to the dance club during the day while it was empty. We would put our 17 month old on the dance floor and just let her run around free. I would get me and my wife a coffee and just watch her play. Made her moods much better at night. Also we were talked into using the 3rd bed instead of the crib by the cabin steward . Big mistake ! She got up all night exploring the room. Found the light switch and turned it on and off all night. Crib took up some space but kept her safe and slept well in it. By the way deck 6 aft was very loud with terrible karaoke until well after midnight. Plan a quiet cabin with a toddler. Inflatable tub works great also. not bad to inflate. its small . Don't pack goldfish when cheerios and fruit loops are free. She even to this day notices when we drive through a city and yells out "ship! Ship! " as if all cities are access to her vacation .

Sorry no answer for the OP as I don't have kids but I wanted to say hi to Shante... We went to school together either Mercy or UMES this is Ashley (Fleming) Willis :).

Oh, hey Ashley!! :) I didn't know you posted here too (but it makes sense with you being a TA). We went to Mercy togetherl, you were 2 years ahead of me I believe. I see you're going on the Valor a few weeks after me. I'll make sure to leave a good review for you.

I will try and get that scanned and sent to you via email later tonight or tomorrow

as for flying, my son who has lots and lots of energy was actually pretty good on flights. He has flown 4x. 3 for a cruise and 1x for a wedding. We just did the SJU and it was long but he was actually great. The pressure is what gets him or his ears I should say. From the time he was one until now at 3+ it is horrible. We have tried, bottles, sippy cups, gum. He just screams. You know he is in pain. The time he cries so very short so it isnt to bad for others around us.

We have a little portable DVD player and he watches all his favorite movies. Color books/colors, new cars/trucks to play with then they are super excited for something new. I save something new for going and return.

Yes to all meds, tylenol and all other needs. I bring all just in case.

I cruised with my daughter at 13 months (not walking yet), 18 months, and we'll be going early next month after she turns 2. Gallon sized glad bags are a must. They're great for disposing of diapers, organizing while packing, organizing while at the beach, a place to put wet/soiled clothes. I could have a bag with snacks, another for utinsels, another for sunscreen/bug spray, another for toys, another for our passports, another for money, etc. I would also have Wet Ones in different bags and in her stroller. Be sure to also pack benadryl and powdered Pedialyte. Teething ring and tablets are good too. Bring more than one--3 would probably good. Never know when they're cutting a tooth. Baby Motrin and whatever other med you think you may need. I also read on here that the you can put magnets on the walls, so I just bought her magnetic ABCs. I saw them on Amazon for under $3, so I bought 7 since they were so cheap. Crayola color wonder would probably be good on the plane along with the DVD player. See if your LO will drink while taking off and landing to help with the ears. I also read on here about bringing an inflatable beach ball, and let your LO play with that in an empty lounge. Gerber graduates are perfect, so are Mums for snacks. Be sure to ask your room steward for 2 buckets of ice to be full at all times. The fridge in the cabin doesn't get cold enough for the extra milk that you'll order from service. BTW, if you order room service for your LO---be careful with the chicken fajita wrap (the wrap is made with jalapenos). Be sure to pack your diapers in your carry-on and your checked luggage in case it takes awhile to get your luggage in your cabin. Definitely bring the umbrella stroller--a great place for your LO to nap. I've started showering with my LO to get her used to it before the cruise. Seems a lot easier than the inflatable pool. Bring a couple of sun hats. When going to port, bring a couple of beach towels and a hair clip just in case your LO falls asleep in the stroller--this will enable you to keep her covered to sleep and to not get a sunburn. Have a great cruise!

I will try and get that scanned and sent to you via email later tonight or tomorrow

as for flying, my son who has lots and lots of energy was actually pretty good on flights. He has flown 4x. 3 for a cruise and 1x for a wedding. We just did the SJU and it was long but he was actually great. The pressure is what gets him or his ears I should say. From the time he was one until now at 3+ it is horrible. We have tried, bottles, sippy cups, gum. He just screams. You know he is in pain. The time he cries so very short so it isnt to bad for others around us.

We have a little portable DVD player and he watches all his favorite movies. Color books/colors, new cars/trucks to play with then they are super excited for something new. I save something new for going and return.

Yes to all meds, tylenol and all other needs. I bring all just in case.

Great idea of keeping something new for going and returning flights. I'll definitely do that and see if I can borrow someones portable dvd player. Thanks for replying!

I cruised with my daughter at 13 months (not walking yet), 18 months, and we'll be going early next month after she turns 2. Gallon sized glad bags are a must. They're great for disposing of diapers, organizing while packing, organizing while at the beach, a place to put wet/soiled clothes. I could have a bag with snacks, another for utinsels, another for sunscreen/bug spray, another for toys, another for our passports, another for money, etc. I would also have Wet Ones in different bags and in her stroller. Be sure to also pack benadryl and powdered Pedialyte. Teething ring and tablets are good too. Bring more than one--3 would probably good. Never know when they're cutting a tooth. Baby Motrin and whatever other med you think you may need. I also read on here that the you can put magnets on the walls, so I just bought her magnetic ABCs. I saw them on Amazon for under $3, so I bought 7 since they were so cheap. Crayola color wonder would probably be good on the plane along with the DVD player. See if your LO will drink while taking off and landing to help with the ears. I also read on here about bringing an inflatable beach ball, and let your LO play with that in an empty lounge. Gerber graduates are perfect, so are Mums for snacks. Be sure to ask your room steward for 2 buckets of ice to be full at all times. The fridge in the cabin doesn't get cold enough for the extra milk that you'll order from service. BTW, if you order room service for your LO---be careful with the chicken fajita wrap (the wrap is made with jalapenos). Be sure to pack your diapers in your carry-on and your checked luggage in case it takes awhile to get your luggage in your cabin. Definitely bring the umbrella stroller--a great place for your LO to nap. I've started showering with my LO to get her used to it before the cruise. Seems a lot easier than the inflatable pool. Bring a couple of sun hats. When going to port, bring a couple of beach towels and a hair clip just in case your LO falls asleep in the stroller--this will enable you to keep her covered to sleep and to not get a sunburn. Have a great cruise!

Great ideas!! Exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you for replying.