adopted child ID?

russianmom

Yes, I don't believe either that Carnival can guarantee them traveling with the adoption decree. We will see, so far the best options are to either get a passport with the adoption decree or get the BC before the trip. She can travel with one of those two. We were afraid of having the BC and no time for the passport, but she really doesn't need the passport to travel in this cruise. Having the passport early (if she can do it with the adoption decree) will save the agony of the waiting for the BC and counting the days. But as I said, they are already planing a backup vacation.

I feel like russianmom's original post has been highjacked. Sorry. :(

I just wanted to respond to mfantasia about where to put your energy. On the gov't website it clearly states you have to prove citizenship with one of the following:

Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport

Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state

Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth

Naturalization Certificate

Certificate of Citizenship

(Here are all of the steps: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html#step3minor)

Then you have to prove relationship to the minor child. That can be done with the adoption decree, but that doesn't proof citizenship. If your SIL wants to light a fire under anyone it would be the state of CA because I think the bc is what she really needs. I would think their butts would be completely on fire at this point for a multitude of reasons, but that's another story. :)

We couldn't get our dd baptized until we had proof of citizenship (generally a bc - but a passport would have worked too) so I know I tried really hard to get a passport without the new bc. We couldn't do it. Once we had the bc the passport actually arrived rather quickly.

I'm glad they have an alternate plan, just in case.

I feel like russianmom's original post has been highjacked. Sorry. :(

I just wanted to respond to mfantasia about where to put your energy. On the gov't website it clearly states you have to prove citizenship with one of the following:

Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport

Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state

Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth

Naturalization Certificate

Certificate of Citizenship

(Here are all of the steps: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html#step3minor)

Then you have to prove relationship to the minor child. That can be done with the adoption decree, but that doesn't proof citizenship. If your SIL wants to light a fire under anyone it would be the state of CA because I think the bc is what she really needs. I would think their butts would be completely on fire at this point for a multitude of reasons, but that's another story. :)

We couldn't get our dd baptized until we had proof of citizenship (generally a bc - but a passport would have worked too) so I know I tried really hard to get a passport without the new bc. We couldn't do it. Once we had the bc the passport actually arrived rather quickly.

I'm glad they have an alternate plan, just in case.

I don't feel hijacked at all. It's all the same general idea- adoption documents related to cruising! No worries, I'm very into helping others out about the intricacies of adoption (although I really don't now anything about domestic!)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I'm back with some updates about the passport, BC, adoption decree and tons of documents. Sorry for highjacking the post once again.

My SIL finally had the adoption decree from court, she went to the passport office (our mail office) with the AD, her daughter original BC (she will have different name and last name now) and, very important, the SS number and had not problem in ordering the passport. They accepted all the documentation and told them she won't have any problems. She had already called Immigration and they told her the same. She also, sent the second copy of adoption decree to Sacramento for a new BC, but even the judge told her that it will take ages to have it. So, if they don't have a last minute unknown rule from Immigration, it seems that they will travel. I'll keep you post it.

Hi, I'm back with some updates about the passport, BC, adoption decree and tons of documents. Sorry for highjacking the post once again.

My SIL finally had the adoption decree from court, she went to the passport office (our mail office) with the AD, her daughter original BC (she will have different name and last name now) and, very important, the SS number and had not problem in ordering the passport. They accepted all the documentation and told them she won't have any problems. She had already called Immigration and they told her the same. She also, sent the second copy of adoption decree to Sacramento for a new BC, but even the judge told her that it will take ages to have it. So, if they don't have a last minute unknown rule from Immigration, it seems that they will travel. I'll keep you post it.

GREAT! We got our sons' passport about 3 weeks after we applied. Hoping hers comes quickly as well.

Happy sailing! :)

I adopted my daughter from China and have been a couple of cruises with her. First one was before I got her passport. Took her Certificate of Citizenship and a copy of the adoption decree showing I was her Mom (no Dad). No problem - it was a closed loop cruise. Second time, I had her passport and still took a copy of the decree just in case anyone had questions as to my status as a single mom!

I adopted my daughter from China and have been a couple of cruises with her. First one was before I got her passport. Took her Certificate of Citizenship and a copy of the adoption decree showing I was her Mom (no Dad). No problem - it was a closed loop cruise. Second time, I had her passport and still took a copy of the decree just in case anyone had questions as to my status as a single mom!

But her case is different. Her adopted child was born in USA and they adopted her through the Sate, maybe it is different with private agencies.

You will think that the old BC and the adoption decree will be OK, but no, it has to be the new BC or the passport, because they change her name and the parents on the old BC do not match. If they were still their foster parent, they could have it easier, but because they had finished the adoption, they are like in limbo status now with the paper work. Luckily, they will have the new passport soon.

• 2 weeks later...

wow -- I'm a little scared now. If people who legally adopted their kids have such problems -- how are we going to get onboard in July? We have a 13 year old foster kid living in our family. He has a different name and we are not his legal guardians... he has an official guardian provided by the state who we hardly ever see. He's been with us for 8 months now and we love him dearly -- but I thought we could get onboard with just a notarized form from the guardian, saying that he's allowed to travel with us( that's what the cruise line said on the phone -- they even mailed the form to us). Will it really be okay? It will be his first vacation ever, he's so excited. If we'd have to travel back home he would be devastated.

wow -- I'm a little scared now. If people who legally adopted their kids have such problems -- how are we going to get onboard in July? We have a 13 year old foster kid living in our family. He has a different name and we are not his legal guardians... he has an official guardian provided by the state who we hardly ever see. He's been with us for 8 months now and we love him dearly -- but I thought we could get onboard with just a notarized form from the guardian, saying that he's allowed to travel with us( that's what the cruise line said on the phone -- they even mailed the form to us). Will it really be okay? It will be his first vacation ever, he's so excited. If we'd have to travel back home he would be devastated.

What are you using as his form of ID? Do you have a birth certificate? Let me do a little reading and see what I can come up with. Where are you sailing from/to? Closed loop cruise leaving/returning to same US port?

Edit to add... I see you are in Germany are you and he German citizens? Are you coing to the US or departing from somewhere in Europe??

What are you using as his form of ID? Do you have a birth certificate? Let me do a little reading and see what I can come up with. Where are you sailing from/to? Closed loop cruise leaving/returning to same US port?

Edit to add... I see you are in Germany are you and he German citizens? Are you coing to the US or departing from somewhere in Europe??

Hi russianmom,

Yes, we're all German citizens. He has his own German passport. We're flying from Hannover to Barcelona and from there it's a 12 night cruise returning to Barcelona as well. I do have his Birth Certificate ... but since we're not his biological parents or legal guardians ... how should that help us? We'll get the notarized form from the guardian, saying we're allowed to travel with him....and I guess we'll just pray it'll be sufficient. Thanks for the help.

Hi russianmom,

Yes, we're all German citizens. He has his own German passport. We're flying from Hannover to Barcelona and from there it's a 12 night cruise returning to Barcelona as well. I do have his Birth Certificate ... but since we're not his biological parents or legal guardians ... how should that help us? We'll get the notarized form from the guardian, saying we're allowed to travel with him....and I guess we'll just pray it'll be sufficient. Thanks for the help.

I had only asked about the birth certificate before I realized you were in Germany...

I wish I had some idea of how to answer your questions but I am only familiar with laws by the US State Dept, US Customs and Border Patrol and Dept Homeland Security.

I would consult with whatever agencies you have in Germany similar to those I listed above as only they can give you the correct answers. I would not rely on what the cruise line tells you to avoid disappointment.

I think it's fairly different in Europe than in US. Definitely no birth certificate needed. just the passport as when normally travelling.

The boarder authorities should not cause you any problem. We are in EU and not US. More relaxed here and you do have the written permission. That and the passport is really the only things you need in EU. It really is so different here. I have been travelling within EU several times with my DD without DH (her father). Not even once have I even considered bringing any document with me explaining I have her fathers permission. Why? Because it is not required or needed here in EU. Those are not asked either.

When obtaining a passport for a minir both parents have to give permission. This in my country (and I would assume the whole EU) is seen as giving permission to the child to travel with either parent alone.

Your situation is of course different because your child is a foster child. However that is why you have the written approval. :) You'll be just fine.

I think it's fairly different in Europe than in US. Definitely no birth certificate needed. just the passport as when normally travelling.

The boarder authorities should not cause you any problem. We are in EU and not US. More relaxed here and you do have the written permission. That and the passport is really the only things you need in EU. It really is so different here. I have been travelling within EU several times with my DD without DH (her father). Not even once have I even considered bringing any document with me explaining I have her fathers permission. Why? Because it is not required or needed here in EU. Those are not asked either.

When obtaining a passport for a minir both parents have to give permission. This in my country (and I would assume the whole EU) is seen as giving permission to the child to travel with either parent alone.

Your situation is of course different because your child is a foster child. However that is why you have the written approval. :) You'll be just fine.

Thank you so much! I've made the appointment with the lawyer to get the notarized form... so I think, we'll be okay.

Archived