NCL Jade Filipino Crew Member Killed in Greece Accident

SakeDad

But as a former NCL ship's officer I can say that company policy requires a hard hat while docking, and a work vest (floatation device) while working near the side.

Thanks for the relevant background info.

Any death or injury is very sad. Maybe it's just me, but am I the only one who wondered why this poor soul's nationality had to be in the headline? What difference does that make?

It has to do with the lawyer's desire to export US laws and customs to foreign flag vessels owned by companies based in the US. While I would appreciate getting US jobs on cruise ships, I realize that it is not economically feasible, so holding companies to US regulations and work place laws is only legal/economic terrorism.

It has to do with the lawyer's desire to export US laws and customs to foreign flag vessels owned by companies based in the US. While I would appreciate getting US jobs on cruise ships, I realize that it is not economically feasible, so holding companies to US regulations and work place laws is only legal/economic terrorism.

Thank you for your explanation. I could find polite words to describe my feelings about the OP. I did see the article about Norwegian winning a Safety Award ( now I can not find it again). I know a number of Staff Captains and how much they stress safety procedures. It breaks my heart that is happened and his person decided to exploit it.

I don't fault the OP for posting the information. He may just have wanted to express condolences and he may not have been aware that the lawyer's site he linked to contained spin as well as truth. But I still thank the OP for bringing it up, else I would not have known. :)

These men and women, officers and crew from the top down do in fact risk much working at sea. It takes a special person for each of these

kinds of jobs.

My father was a sea captain. I still remember a particular incident and sitting with my mother by the phone one night wondering if he was going to come home. We were lucky. I have great respect for all those aboard and what they do.

It is so sad but accidents do happen - and sometimes they are just that. I am sure that the ship would not have left the port unless they had ascertained that no further investigation there was needed.

I read that the hard hat was in fact found and that another crew member of the Jade working the aft while docking there said they all are required to and do wear the safety gear. Mooring lines are particularly dangerous. They can and do snap and have great force. The article by that lawyer seems aimed at pointing blame but is sorely lacking on tangible facts that would prove what he wants people to read into it.

A prayer for the crew member and all those this has touched.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on this sailing. We were all lined up by the door ready to go ashore when the medical emergency was called. Based on the response, we knew it was something serious. We were delayed about 30-45 minutes getting off the ship, and when we got off, our taxi driver told us what had happened.

When we were returning to the ship, I asked the Cruise Director if we were going to be delayed leaving port because of the emergency. He deflected my inquiry and tried to make it like nothing had happened and assured me we wouldn't be late.

We were delayed over an hour and a half leaving Katakolon. I asked at the customer service desk if the accident this morning would mean we were late getting to Athens. I was assured -twice - that it was only a drill and they were finishing it up soon and we would make Athens on time.

It really bothered me how we were blatantly lied to. Everyone knew a crew member died. This wasn't a rumor. The death was witnessed by all the tour guides waiting for us to disembark. Yet we were repeatedly told nothing had happened or that it was only a drill. It seemed really disrespectful to the deceased. I would have much preferred they announced the truth and a moment of silence.

I was on this sailing. We were all lined up by the door ready to go ashore when the medical emergency was called. Based on the response, we knew it was something serious. We were delayed about 30-45 minutes getting off the ship, and when we got off, our taxi driver told us what had happened.

When we were returning to the ship, I asked the Cruise Director if we were going to be delayed leaving port because of the emergency. He deflected my inquiry and tried to make it like nothing had happened and assured me we wouldn't be late.

We were delayed over an hour and a half leaving Katakolon. I asked at the customer service desk if the accident this morning would mean we were late getting to Athens. I was assured -twice - that it was only a drill and they were finishing it up soon and we would make Athens on time.

It really bothered me how we were blatantly lied to. Everyone knew a crew member died. This wasn't a rumor. The death was witnessed by all the tour guides waiting for us to disembark. Yet we were repeatedly told nothing had happened or that it was only a drill. It seemed really disrespectful to the deceased. I would have much preferred they announced the truth and a moment of silence.

Did you ask anyone at NCL about a moment of silence, because your post makes it appear that you only inquired about how this incident would affect your travel plans?! :confused: I can't believe that is what you meant.

Such a tragic accident. Condolences to his family and friends.

Did you ask anyone at NCL about a moment of silence, because your post makes it appear that you only inquired about how this incident would affect your travel plans?! :confused: I can't believe that is what you meant.

Such a tragic accident. Condolences to his family and friends.

The purpose of my questions - which were very leading - was to get them to actually acknowledge the death. I mention "tragedy" and they respond with "drill." I don't think I could have asked if they were doing a moment of silence because they wouldn't even acknowlege what had happened.

Madame,

I do not know what the customs are in France regarding the death of someone. In the United States a tragic death like this one, would be discussed publicly until the family of the young man had been notified. That May have happened yet at time when you were talking to either the Cruise Director or the people at Guest Services.

I do know from talking to staff member friends on The Jade that there was a service held for staff only.

Madame,

I do not know what the customs are in France regarding the death of someone. In the United States a tragic death like this one, would be discussed publicly until the family of the young man had been notified. That May have happened yet at time when you were talking to either the Cruise Director or the people at Guest Services.

I do know from talking to staff member friends on The Jade that there was a service held for staff only.

I assume you mean a tragic death like this one would not be discussed publicly until the family had been notified?

I assume you mean a tragic death like this one would not be discussed publicly until the family had been notified?

You are correct. I feel so sorry for all the members of the staff of The Jade. From what I understand, it hit everyone very hard. I had a note from one of my young friends, saying that he could not imagine what it would be like for his MOTHER to receive a notice like that one. It tore him about thinking about it. These "kids" are so far from home and communication with family members sometimes is not very easy.

Archived