Rome to Venice

jewels89

My best friend are disembarking in Rome on April 21, and were thinking of taking a train to Venice for the day (we have a hotel for two days in Rome), does anyone have any experience doing this?

How much/ how long did it take (cost)?

What is there to do in Venice?

Thanks so much for your time!

My best friend are disembarking in Rome on April 21, and were thinking of taking a train to Venice for the day (we have a hotel for two days in Rome), does anyone have any experience doing this?

How much/ how long did it take (cost)?

What is there to do in Venice?

Thanks so much for your time!

Hi,

I have taken the train from Rome to Venice. Very easy ... travel time is about 3 and a half hours from Rome to Venice. Hopefully, you would overnight in Venice as a r/t Rome/VCE would take about 8 hours. It is not, IMHO, an advisable daytrip.

You can find the train schedules & prices on the Trenitalia website at:

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

For Rome, enter "Roma Termini" and for Venice, enter "Venezia S Lucia".

Lots to see & do in Venice! Grand Canal, Rialto Bridge, St. Marks Square (basilica, Doges Palace)....

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/venice/sights

Lots of info on what to see/do in VCE on these boards. :)

jill

jill

Agree with the previous post. Venice is not a reasonable day trip from Rome...although it is one of those trip that could be done for the sake of saying you did it!). Keep in mind that round trip train will cost you over $300 per person.

Hank

You could do Florence for a day trip if you are not stopping there beforehand...or go the other direction to Naples.As others have noted Venice is really not a good day trip from Rome.Save it for another time.Assume you have been to Rome before and seen all the sights...there really is soooo much to see and do there.

Thanks for all of the responses... I agree after looking deeper into the train schedules it really isn't realistic.

I would love to perhaps do a day trip to Capri or Naples... As a university student I shall begin looking for the deals :)

Thanks everyone!

I agree with Hlitner and the other previous posters that it's too much to do in one day but the price isn't quite as expensive. Our Venice to Florence to Rome pre cruise tickets are only 64€ so presumably a roundtrip wouldn't be any more than 128€ or $167 at today's exchange rate.

If you want to see Roman ruins then those at Ostia Antica close to Rome are far more extensive and in better repair than those at Pompeii which IMHO are overated .

This is how to get to Ostia Antica an ideal day trip .

http://www.ostia-antica.org/index.html

Another ideal day trip from Rome by train is to the charming hill town of Orvieto .

If you want to go to Firenze, Pisa, Milano or Venezia then allow much more time as these are all truly stunning historical cities of the world, and rushing through them would be a crime . Save them for a more extensive Italian visitation .

Archived