Jewel Of The Seas 3/7 - 3/11 Review with lots of pics

Loved the pics and review! We were on the Jewel for Thanksgiving 2011 and all those pics brought back so many wonderful memories! Did you guys take the elevator up to the Viking Crown lounge and see the flamingoes outside the elevator? I read about them here on CC and thought it was the coolest thing ever. My son says I'm easily amused :p

P1030121.jpg

P1030122.jpg

Yes we did! Jeff says I am easily amused too and I take pictures of EVERYTHING! :rolleyes: He wasn't allowed to touch his food until I got a picture first! :D

Cindy

i love your review and all the pics!! Dh and I are going on her in june out of san juan. I noticed in one of your posts you said to check around ever corner cause you never know what your going to find. I always try to find out about the "secrets" of the ships before we go and am a having a difficult time with this one finding out anything. Would you be will to share with us some of the "secret" places you may have found?? We would very much appreciate any info!!:D

i love your review and all the pics!! Dh and I are going on her in june out of san juan. I noticed in one of your posts you said to check around ever corner cause you never know what your going to find. I always try to find out about the "secrets" of the ships before we go and am a having a difficult time with this one finding out anything. Would you be will to share with us some of the "secret" places you may have found?? We would very much appreciate any info!!:D

Well I don't know that they are secrets but some places we thought were really cool were:

The flamingos at the very top of the glass elevators that face the ocean...The glass coffee table that had the 12 story view down to the centrum...For some reason people don't seem to discover the Seaview Cafe until the middle to end of the cruise and if you like fish and chips this place is wonderful....If you like peace and quiet then go all the way to the back of the ship on deck 5 and there is a great view of the aft wake and we never ran into anybody back there or go all the way to the front to the helipad....and the outdoor seating all the way through the Windjammer to the back of the ship, very nice place to eat.....and last but not least....the 2 foot Margaritas at Senor Frogs in Cozumel! Don't tell anybody about that one, we wouldn't want to cause a rush! :D

Just a few things that come to mind :)

Cindy

When are the ribs typically found at the Windjammer, is it usually at lunchtime on the last day/sea day? My 9-year old LOVES ribs and will be so happy!!!

I don't know if it is true with all cruises but on ours they were served at lunch on day 4 or the last sea day. And he would be one happy 9 year old trust me! They were that good!

Cindy

Great job on the review. I'll be on Jewel in just 29 days and hope to have as much fun as you obviously did.

I hope you have as much fun as we did too! It was really a great ship with a super crew and terrific passengers too! Just let your hair down, go with the flow and enjoy! Happy cruising and give us a review when you get back! :)

Cindy

I want to thank you, like so many others, for your review. Especially the compass postings. I have searched high and low for a copy of the 4 night compass, to no avail. And here they are, one week before we sail!

Also, someone asked about disembarking. At least in Cozumel, there is no priority for people with cruiseline excursions. I have only seen this in ports where you have to tender.

Can't wait to enjoy all the yummy food and drinks myself!:D

Posting this in your review instead of starting a thread (don't want to be flamed.. =)) We are doing regular dinner seating and not Dining by Request. On the first night of the cruise the ship goes under the bridge around 6:30. Do you know if people in the 6 seating just miss the dinner in the MDR that night, or do people just leave during that time to go and watch the ship pass under the bridge?

Posting this in your review instead of starting a thread (don't want to be flamed.. =)) We are doing regular dinner seating and not Dining by Request. On the first night of the cruise the ship goes under the bridge around 6:30. Do you know if people in the 6 seating just miss the dinner in the MDR that night, or do people just leave during that time to go and watch the ship pass under the bridge?

We had my time dining and waited to eat until after we passed under the bridge. We spoke with other people who had traditional dining and just watched through the windows in the dining room.

We personally think it is something not to be missed and would let the dining staff know that you will miss the first night in the dining room so they won't be waiting on you and then eat in the Windjammer after you pass under the bridge.

No flaming! Its your cruise, make it what you want it to be! :)

Happy Cruising! Cindy

We had my time dining and waited to eat until after we passed under the bridge. We spoke with other people who had traditional dining and just watched through the windows in the dining room.

We personally think it is something not to be missed and would let the dining staff know that you will miss the first night in the dining room so they won't be waiting on you and then eat in the Windjammer after you pass under the bridge.

No flaming! Its your cruise, make it what you want it to be! :)

Happy Cruising! Cindy

Cindy, thank you! We are cruising with our 7 year old and I would much rather prefer all of us to experience going under the bridge from the deck. I will make sure to mention that we will miss dinner in the MDR that night.

I want to thank you, like so many others, for your review. Especially the compass postings. I have searched high and low for a copy of the 4 night compass, to no avail. And here they are, one week before we sail!

Also, someone asked about disembarking. At least in Cozumel, there is no priority for people with cruiseline excursions. I have only seen this in ports where you have to tender.

Can't wait to enjoy all the yummy food and drinks myself!:D

Your are most welcome for the Compasses! Enjoy your cruise and have a drink for me! :D Especially if you visit Senor Frogs! :rolleyes: Beware of the lady walking around offering shots though! ;)

Cindy

I've done a bunch of "research" into how to approach this exact scenario for our cruise on her next month (Apr 4 sailing). I'm a HUGE planning nerd (seriously, major geek alert here) and searched up a handful of posts where folks did similar things. I've tracked her leaving port the last 4 sailings on Marine Traffic and will do so again today and have found the time passing under the bridge has been between 6:35 and 6:55. The earlier time was when they departed about 4:15 instead of 4:30.

We plan on dropping by the MDR earlier in the day to scout our table and will gett to dinner the first evening around 5:50 and will let our waiter and assistant know our "plan". We've confirmed a window table so we should he a decent idea where we are at and I have the Marine Traffic app on my iPhone so we'll know where we are this way too. We'll order a few appetizers each to share and doubles for my wife and I right away.

As we get close, the kids will probably head up earlier and we have two way radios and our phones will still have service so they can give my wife and I a heads up on when we need to come up.

We plan on come back to the MDR after we pass under. I think I saw carrot cake on the 1st night's menu. If our table is on the starboard side, we'll be turning into what is left of the sunset, should it would make for a nice setting for an after dinner drink too. I suspect the kids wont be coming back down.

I've done a bunch of "research" into how to approach this exact scenario for our cruise on her next month (Apr 4 sailing). I'm a HUGE planning nerd (seriously, major geek alert here) and searched up a handful of posts where folks did similar things. I've tracked her leaving port the last 4 sailings on Marine Traffic and will do so again today and have found the time passing under the bridge has been between 6:35 and 6:55. The earlier time was when they departed about 4:15 instead of 4:30.

We plan on dropping by the MDR earlier in the day to scout our table and will gett to dinner the first evening around 5:50 and will let our waiter and assistant know our "plan". We've confirmed a window table so we should he a decent idea where we are at and I have the Marine Traffic app on my iPhone so we'll know where we are this way too. We'll order a few appetizers each to share and doubles for my wife and I right away.

As we get close, the kids will probably head up earlier and we have two way radios and our phones will still have service so they can give my wife and I a heads up on when we need to come up.

We plan on come back to the MDR after we pass under. I think I saw carrot cake on the 1st night's menu. If our table is on the starboard side, we'll be turning into what is left of the sunset, should it would make for a nice setting for an after dinner drink too. I suspect the kids wont be coming back down.

We never saw anybody leave the dining room table and come back to it later but if you can do that then go for it! What we saw was as soon as you left the table they came immediately and changed everything right down to the table cloth to seat someone else. With MTD we were out of there in 45 minutes to an hour though so if you reserve a table at 5:30 you should be done and can be up on deck for the bridge. :) I think we went under the bridge at 6:45 - 6:55. The first night we made a reservation for 7:30 and all the rest of the nights we never made a reservation, just showed up at around 5:30 and never had to wait! Enjoy!

Cindy

We never saw anybody leave the dining room table and come back to it later but if you can do that then go for it! What we saw was as soon as you left the table they came immediately and changed everything right down to the table cloth to seat someone else. With MTD we were out of there in 45 minutes to an hour though so if you reserve a table at 5:30 you should be done and can be up on deck for the bridge. :) I think we went under the bridge at 6:45 - 6:55. The first night we made a reservation for 7:30 and all the rest of the nights we never made a reservation, just showed up at around 5:30 and never had to wait! Enjoy!

Cindy

We've reserved early seating vs my time, so I wonder if this'll give us a chance to come back. If not, no biggie, I'm sure we won't starve. Maybe I'll stop in during the day and see if I can bump into the head waiter to extend the plan and see if we can arrive early. As I recall from Freedom 2 years ago, they were not that keen on early arrivals.

We've reserved early seating vs my time, so I wonder if this'll give us a chance to come back. If not, no biggie, I'm sure we won't starve. Maybe I'll stop in during the day and see if I can bump into the head waiter to extend the plan and see if we can arrive early. As I recall from Freedom 2 years ago, they were not that keen on early arrivals.

In my opinion the food on this ship in the Windjammer was just as good as what was in the main dining room! In fact the key lime pie was so good when I left the dining room I went to the Windjammer and had another slice! :eek: That way I didn't look like a pig ordering another one in the dining room! :rolleyes: You will not starve that is for sure! :D And don't forget about the Seaview Cafe either! Great Fish n chips! :D

Cindy

Great review and amazing pictures... I have spent 37 nites on the Jewel and am kind of a picture freak ... you got so many shots of things I missed... loved the ribs in the windjammer !! My next trip will be my first out of Tampa on her ..have late seating and cannot wait to go under the bridge ....

We just got back from the Jewel this morning. We went to MTD at 5:30pm and finished dessert and still had time to go up to our room and watch the ship go under the bridge from our balcony. It was close, but we made it in time I would just say be prepared to eat and run and possibly skip dessert if it takes too long (you could always get dessert in the Windjammer and I don't remember the dessert being that great the first night in the MDR anyway).

Great review and amazing pictures... I have spent 37 nites on the Jewel and am kind of a picture freak ... you got so many shots of things I missed... loved the ribs in the windjammer !! My next trip will be my first out of Tampa on her ..have late seating and cannot wait to go under the bridge ....

Thank you! I am a photo freak as well! The pictures we posted are a drop in the bucket to what I took believe me! The food shots I took with a point n shoot camera on a food setting. I wouldn't take them in the Windjammer if there was a line but if I walked through and no line I was snapping away! :D It took 2 seconds literally! I hope you have as great of a trip as we did! Would love to go on her again before she goes to San Juan but it is just not possible, :( but I will definitely go on another Radiance class ship. I loved the size of it.

Cindy

I am sailing with a group of 17 and all the info you provided will make me look good. One question with you being a past RCCL passenger, did they have a "repeaters" cocktail party for past RCCL guests? If so when. Want to plan it in our groups schedule.