CUNARD "to LOOSEN UP "

suggabuttyboy

[quote name='Cruachan']But the point is that he [B]hasn't [/B]changed the formal nights.

[/QUOTE]

As I have said elsewhere -- as far as I can see, there is almost no change at all in the Cunard dress code. Not for men - and there is "some" argument about it's effect on women. IF I were to sail on Cunard again - it would only mean for me that I probably wouldn't take as many ties as I have done :D.

There is definitely something strange - melodramatic even - about this Cunard Forum. Something that I did not find at all on the ships themselves. People on the ships are quite normal :D

Barry

re the Falklands

Friends have just arrived home after completing half a World Cruise ( round South America) with P&O Arcadia.

The ship was prevented from visiting ports in Argentina because they were visiting the Falklands -- BUT, they didn't even get to visit the Falklands as they could not land because of bad weather. I understand that is not an unusual occurrence there . All in all -- it was a lose-lose situation that the cruise Company and its passengers found themselves in.

Barry

[quote name='BORDER REIVER']
If they day ever came where those that dressed up were in the minority and were tutted at by the rest, then we would no longer cruise with Cunard[/QUOTE]

I would be very surprised if that were to happen..... as someone who has frequently been the most formally dressed in the dining room, I have never been "tutted at" by the more casually dressed. If anything their reactions as well as their comments have been positive and admiring.

[quote name='BORDER REIVER']We have studied the changes and are reasonably happy that we won't need to make too many adjustments to our planned wardrobe for our Queen Elizabeth cruise. I will take one less suit, but my wife is having to re-think her packing a little.
[/QUOTE]

I just checked your sailing and according to the booking site's itinerary it appears there are still 5 formal nights and 7 casual nights, which by mathematical calculation on a 14 day sailing would suggest 2 semiformal nights.

[quote name='Cruachan']But the point is that he [B]hasn't [/B]changed the formal nights. For those nights the dress code remains the same and, as far as I can tell, the number of formal nights on the average cruise will remain the same too - it had already been significantly, and "silently", reduced anyway. What [B]has [/B]happened is that the strange hybrid form of dress called "semi-formal" has been dropped and the pretentiously named "elegant casual" (a piece of terminological snobbery that always made me cringe) has been renamed "informal". [/QUOTE]

I agree the change is minor.... while I would have preferred all sea days be formal rather than 2 or 3 per week, I too am happy that the useless semiformal has been removed. However it will not be in time for our sailing next week so my cocktail dresses will get one last hurrah.

[quote name='bazzaw']re the Falklands

Friends have just arrived home after completing half a World Cruise ( round South America) with P&O Arcadia.

The ship was prevented from visiting ports in Argentina because they were visiting the Falklands -- BUT, they didn't even get to visit the Falklands as they could not land because of bad weather. I understand that is not an unusual occurrence there . All in all -- it was a lose-lose situation that the cruise Company and its passengers found themselves in.

Barry[/quote]

Hi Barry,
I FULLY accept what you are saying but will VERY respectfully disagree with you for the following reasons.

British Merchant seamen
Sadly these brave souls traditionally got the VERY short end of the stick when it came to times of conflict. Even in the Second World War when they left the ship, their pay stopped!!

Nothing wrong with that you might think but by left the ship... Read if the ship was sunk for whatever reason including enemy action, their pay stopped as soon as they abandoned their ship.

Without the Merchant Navy the Falklands Conflict would have had only one ending and thanks to the likes of the Canberra and to a lesser but still huge contribution the QE2 democracy was allowed to win the day.

The Cunard ship Atlantic Conveyor sadly never returned from the South Atlantic and a number of her crew, including the master went down with that fine vessel.

The Falkland islands are not Hawaii, they are not the West indies, they are a desolate group of islands swept by regular South Atlantic storms which prevent any decent foliage from growing.

To me a trip to the Falklands is all about possibly seeing these islands, seeing what is so special and most important, paying my respects to the memorials to those brave men that gave the ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom.

If and it is a very BIG if... If the weather prevents the tenders from putting ashore then I would expect the cruise company to have guest speakers aboard the ship that could commentate on the various locations as the ship slowly cruised around the islands. Going ashore would be nice but to experience the atrocious conditions our military and merchant marine had to contend with would be more beneficial, I do not need to go ashore to pay my respect to those brave warriors.

Great Britain has the Royal British Legion that plays a big part in looking after survivors of conflict and hopefully any cruise ship that was scheduled to visit those islands could put on sale wreaths, flowers or other fitting tributes that could help this fine cause and if the ship could not disembark passengers to go ashore, then I would hope they would still pay their respects at the locations where we lost both merchant and warships!! Instead of placing the wreath at a shore memorial, these wreaths could be placed above the graves

We Will Remember Them

[IMG]http://genesissecuritygroup.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/remembrance-day2.jpg[/IMG]

For Cunard and P&O to visit those islands is all about remembering those brave souls that were prepared to make that ultimate sacrifice and we should now pay our respects to the Atlantic Conveyor and let her know that sacrifice was not in vain.

To give in to blackmail is an insult to the good name of that ship and the brave sailors who went down with her and poo hoo to the weather.

[quote name='vjmatty']I agree the change is minor.... while I would have preferred all sea days be formal rather than 2 or 3 per week, I too am happy that the useless semiformal has been removed. However it will not be in time for our sailing next week [COLOR="Red"]so my cocktail dresses will get one last hurrah.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

There's nothing to stop you from taking them in the future, unless of course the barbarians do take over and the well dressed are sneered at.

Your experience (in relation to well dressed people receiving admiring glances and positive affirmation) is similar to what I've observed on Mary. The ladies in the amazing gowns are always well admired.

P&O Australia, on the other hand, was the complete opposite. I will never forget the horrible stares and nasty looks that a couple (dressed formally) received by a group of casually dressed people in one of the bar. You could tell the couple felt very uncomfortable, what's worse was that the casually dressed people seemed to gain pleasure from their obvious discomfort.

[quote name='bazzaw']There is definitely something strange - melodramatic even - about this Cunard Forum. Something that I did not find at all on the ships themselves. People on the ships are quite normal :D

Barry[/quote]

Barry, I've been saying that for years. And it's not only strange but subtly dangerous. I wonder how many people have been deterred from booking a cruise on Cunard by what they have read on this forum? I almost was myself - but, like you, I found the "reality gap" between what was said on here and what I found when I boarded QE2 for the first time to be absolutely enormous.

J

[quote name='Cruachan']Barry, I've been saying that for years. And it's not only strange but subtly dangerous. [COLOR="Red"]I wonder how many people have been deterred from booking a cruise on Cunard by what they have read on this forum?[/COLOR] I almost was myself - but, like you, I found the "reality gap" between what was said on here and what I found when I boarded QE2 for the first time to be absolutely enormous.

J[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet nobody, well not in relation to the dress code threads anyway. From what I understand, the then Fashion Police were a much tougher crowd around the time you did your first voyage. Nobody pretends that ladies wear gloves during the day nowadays - all we ask for is that people abide by the dress code (whatever it happens to be at the time of the cruise :rolleyes:).

As I mentioned in my last blog, judging by the hordes of badly dress people (in jeans and t-shirts) in the Britannia Restaurant (the first couple of nights after Singapore) no dress-code thread has ever stopped a dress code recalcitrant from going on a Cunard cruise.

[quote name='Whitemarsh']There's nothing to stop you from taking them in the future, unless of course the barbarians do take over and the well dressed are sneered at.

Your experience (in relation to well dressed people receiving admiring glances and positive affirmation) is similar to what I've observed on Mary. The ladies in the amazing gowns are always well admired.

P&O Australia, on the other hand, was the complete opposite. I will never forget the horrible stares and nasty looks that a couple (dressed formally) received by a group of casually dressed people in one of the bar. You could tell the couple felt very uncomfortable, what's worse was that the casually dressed people seemed to gain pleasure from their obvious discomfort.[/QUOTE]

I actually prefer not to wear the cocktail dresses..... I like gowns or slacks because I refuse to support the pantyhose industry. The hose never fit properly and if they are only going to last for one or two uses the industry should market them as "disposable" and charge $1 per pair.

I have never sailed P&O but have been curious to try. There is a rumor that Princess loyalty status is recognized on P&O but I don't know how accurate this is.

That is a shame that the passengers would be so boorish as to mock those dressed formally. I would disappoint them in their quest for my discomfort though, as I am usually unaffected by the "overdressed" label. I used to wear ball gowns on the QE2 and never minded being overly formal....but now that they are all too big (thank you Weight Watchers and Zumba) I am finding it is easier to pack a more lightweight type of gown.

[quote name='Whitemarsh']I'm willing to bet nobody, well not in relation to the dress code threads anyway. From what I understand, the then Fashion Police were a much tougher crowd around the time you did your first voyage. Nobody pretends that ladies wear gloves during the day nowadays - all we ask for is that people abide by the dress code (whatever it happens to be at the time of the cruise :rolleyes:).

[COLOR=red]As I mentioned in my last blog, judging by the hordes of badly dress people (in jeans and t-shirts) in the Britannia Restaurant (the first couple of nights after Singapore) no dress-code thread has ever stopped a dress code recalcitrant from going on a Cunard cruise[/COLOR][COLOR=black].[/quote][/COLOR]
[COLOR=red] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=black]Long may this recalcitrance continue I say, I even saw someone last trip wearing one of these pre-tied children's bow ties. An incredible sight, must have been some sort of a hippy type Peter Pan chap. It quite put me off my foie gras, almost!![/COLOR][/COLOR]

[quote name='Whitemarsh']I'm willing to bet nobody, well not in relation to the dress code threads anyway. From what I understand, the then Fashion Police were a much tougher crowd around the time you did your first voyage. Nobody pretends that ladies wear gloves during the day nowadays - all we ask for is that people abide by the dress code (whatever it happens to be at the time of the cruise :rolleyes:).

As I mentioned in my last blog, judging by the hordes of badly dress people (in jeans and t-shirts) in the Britannia Restaurant (the first couple of nights after Singapore) no dress-code thread has ever stopped a dress code recalcitrant from going on a Cunard cruise.[/quote]

Yes, perhaps I could have phrased my post a little more precisely. Maybe I should have said "I wonder what [B]percentage[/B] of the people who [B]visit this site[/B] have been deterred from booking a cruise on Cunard by what they have read on this forum". And I don't mean, specifically, about the dress code, more about the impression they might form of the general ambience on board a Cunard ship. I have been told more often than I care to recall that "Cunard is snobby..." or "Cunard is too toffee nosed for the likes of us..." etc etc and I have seen many posts in these august halls that could easily reinforce those views.

Of course I would guess that the overwhelming majority of people who go on any given Cunard cruise have never heard of CC and could not, therefore, have been deterred by the fashion police, the pro or anti smokers, the tipping obsessives, or those who insist that they could get better food in Tesco's cafeteria. And I'm also not talking about people who actually get as far as posting on the forum. I would guess that there could be quite a few "lurkers" or casual visitors who come here to try to get a feel for what Cunard is like and then decide to look elsewhere for their cruises.

I could be entirely wrong, and I hope I am, but it would be a great shame if even one person based a decision not to book with Cunard simply because of overheated discussion on this board.

J

[quote name='vjmatty']I actually prefer not to wear the cocktail dresses..... I like gowns or slacks because I refuse to support the pantyhose industry. The hose never fit properly and if they are only going to last for one or two uses the industry should market them as "disposable" and charge $1 per pair..[/quote]
Way toooo much information ;):o:o

[quote name='capnpugwash'][COLOR=black]Long may this recalcitrance continue I say, I even saw someone last trip wearing one of these pre-tied children's bow ties. An incredible sight, must have been some sort of a hippy type Peter Pan chap. It quite put me off my foie gras, almost!![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Maybe it was me!! I wear one of those. :o

:o Sorry..... it is a pet peeve of mine to have hose run after wearing them less than one hour.

Don't feel bad about it. My socks have often run - especially when I threaten them with their annual visit to the washing machine. I caught a pair heading south down the M1 once, screaming and shouting in total panic.

J

Me too! But then I'm not Commander of the Cunard Fashion Police! :D:D

J

Last time you said I was the Commissioner. I'm not sure I like the demotion to Commander. :eek:

On the bright side, people can't possibly say that the Cunard boards are snobby, what with the Fashion Police wearing pre-tied bow ties. :cool:

Last time you said I was the Commissioner. I'm not sure I like the demotion to Commander. :eek:

On the bright side, people can't possibly say that the Cunard boards are snobby, what with the Fashion Police wearing pre-tied bow ties. :cool:

Well, let's face it, all these changes must lead to a big reduction in your workload so I thought a concomitant rank reduction was in order. :cool:

J

Of course I would guess that the overwhelming majority of people who go on any given Cunard cruise have never heard of CC and could not, therefore, have been deterred by the fashion police, the pro or anti smokers, the tipping obsessives, or those who insist that they could get better food in Tesco's cafeteria. And I'm also not talking about people who actually get as far as posting on the forum. I would guess that there could be quite a few "lurkers" or casual visitors who come here to try to get a feel for what Cunard is like and then decide to look elsewhere for their cruises.

J

I was going to respond to this earlier, but I got distracted by that peppermint suit. Anyway, sure, there are a lot of 'lively' discussions on here but at least these discussions are (usually) entertaining. Other boards, which I won't mention, are boring by comparison.

In any case, dealing with people who hold strong opinions is just part of everyday life. If someone can't deal with that then missing out on a cruise is the least of their worries.

Well, let's face it, all these changes must lead to a big reduction in your workload so I thought a concomitant rank reduction was in order. :cool:

J

touché :)

Don't feel bad about it. My socks have often run - especially when I threaten them with their annual visit to the washing machine. I caught a pair heading south down the M1 once, screaming and shouting in total panic.

J

LOL! At least yours travel in pairs.... my socks tend to separate and leave each other behind :)

J

You are entitled to comment although I will not ask about the type of pantyhose you wear!!

Sorry..... it is a pet peeve of mine to have hose run after wearing them less than one hour.

Forgive my awful sense of humour and I do genuinely sympathise. I guess the days of nail varnish on stocking runs are long gone :o:o:o

Archived