Sapphire Princess for 12/17/05

DeltaOne

We're considering the Sapphire Princess for 12/17/05 out of LA. I just called Princess and every category has a wait list.

I also asked about the Dawn Princess for 12/10/05, they said there are 40 balconies and 27 inside rooms open. So it's almost full too.

Is it likely the ship is showing as full because TAs are holding rooms? That we could find a room with a TA? Thanks, in advance.

It is possible that some TA's have rooms on hold, certainly worth it to check around. This being a Christmas vacation week, it is also possible that it is just very high demand. That is why prices during these two weeks are nearly double that of the weeks on either end; Princess can ask for it and get it. That said, some individuals holding rooms may decide the cost is too high and let them go around final payment. You could check back on a regular basis (so yes, do get on the waiting list early).

Paul,

There are a few of us celebrating the holiday on the Sapphire leaving the 24th. I am not sure how full that ship may be but since it is Christmas, it will be a higher price. The DH and I booked almost a year in advance to get the cabin we wanted because we did not want to chance it.

I just called Princess. There were 51 on the waiting list, but if you've sailed with Princess before (we have) you get bumped ahead of those that haven't sailed with Princess. We're looking for a room for 2, some on the waiting list are looking for rooms for 3 or 4, so only wanting a room for 2 may help us.

So, we're #25 on the waiting list for "any" room. We're hoping for a balcony...

The waitlist only requires half the normal deposit, so that's nice...and it's fully refundable, of course.

Final payment is due October 3rd, so it's likely something will open up then.

Paul: We aren't booked on the Sapphire for Dec. 17th, but are booked on the Grand out of Galveston for Dec. 17th, 2005. We booked this cruise last October and it was wide open. By the beginning of January, it was rapidly filling up. In March it was almost completely full, and I'm sure this is out the other ships have been filling also. I was really surprised as to how quickly this sailing filled. What I found interseting for the Grand was, the next sailing that left on Dec. 24 was almost double what we are paying for the week before. Boy, by just adding sailing over Christmas the price went so incredibly high.

Hopefully someone will cancel or space will open up and you will be going. I really have a feeling when final payment happens you will see availability open and your cabin will be there waiting for you. This does seem to happen often on cruises.

Hulagirl

Paul: We aren't booked on the Sapphire for Dec. 17th, but are booked on the Grand out of Galveston for Dec. 17th, 2005. We booked this cruise last October and it was wide open. By the beginning of January, it was rapidly filling up. In March it was almost completely full, and I'm sure this is out the other ships have been filling also. I was really surprised as to how quickly this sailing filled. What I found interseting for the Grand was, the next sailing that left on Dec. 24 was almost double what we are paying for the week before. Boy, by just adding sailing over Christmas the price went so incredibly high.

Hopefully someone will cancel or space will open up and you will be going. I really have a feeling when final payment happens you will see availability open and your cabin will be there waiting for you. This does seem to happen often on cruises.

I called five or six web-based travel agents, no one has room on the Sapphire for 12/17. One agent said he had someone waitlisted at #38 for a cruise in August and they now have a room. He has someone else waitlisted, but they need a room for three...he's not optimistic they'll make it.

If something's going to open up it would seem like it would be in the week or two before final payment is due. If they wait until final payment is due, and then cancel, won't they lose some money?

He tried to convince me to transfer this to him, saying his agency "has some clout" with Princess. I'm skeptical, I think I'll contact my regular TA (local brick and mortar) tomorrow and go over our options.

If we get on the Sapphire Princess it will be our 2nd Princess cruise. The first was last January on the Caribbean Princess.

From what I can tell the Caribbean Princess is just like the Sapphire, except the Caribbean Princess has one extra deck and an extra 500 passengers. Is that right?

Paul: Sorry, I meant right around final payment time is when you will most likely see cabins open up. Agree, it wouldn't be after final payment as people would lose money.

The Caribbean Princess and the Sapphire would be similar, but they definitely are different. Have not sailed on the Carribean P. but on other ships like it and the dining room setup is different as the Sapphire has 4 smaller dining rooms for personal choice. Hopefully those that have been on both ships can give you a better description than I can.

Hopefully it will all work out and you get a cabin.

Susan

Paul: Sorry, I meant right around final payment time is when you will most likely see cabins open up. Agree, it wouldn't be after final payment as people would lose money.

The Caribbean Princess and the Sapphire would be similar, but they definitely are different. Have not sailed on the Carribean P. but on other ships like it and the dining room setup is different as the Sapphire has 4 smaller dining rooms for personal choice. Hopefully those that have been on both ships can give you a better description than I can.

Hopefully it will all work out and you get a cabin.

No need to apologize, I was just rambling...

Interesting about the 4 smaller dining rooms. I'll do some research, it sounds interesting. I saw that the Sapphire and Caribbean Princess are the same class of ship, with the CB holding an extra 500 passengers. We did not feel the CB was crowded while we were on her, but the Sapphire should be even better in that regard.

Archived