Azamara - the new price increase thread

excitedofharpenden

I posted in another thread about a comparison of prices between Azamara and Oceania and also a what my personal experience has been of how much I paid for an Asia cruise last year and what it will be in 2014. I have seen many threads on the huge price increase and comparison with say Oceania, but haven't really seen any figures to support the position. I did some very basic research this morning. This is what I wrote (amended so it makes sense to thread of its own):

I decided to do a little experiment today and looked at two fairly similar Asia itineraries in February 2014. One on Azamara Journey, the other on Oceania Nautica. I've taken this pricing directly from the relevant cruiseline websites. The Journey cruise is 14 nights and the Nautica is 16 nights. Taking a V2 equivalent category the price on Azamara is £3400 per person and the Nautica is £5498 per person (I've adjusted the Azamara price as originally it doesn't include taxes and fees and Oceania does). I have to say that after reading many posts on this board about Oceania as competition and not having done a price up like this before I was shocked at how much more Oceania is, even allowing for an extra couple of days at maybe £500. Promotions along the way muddy the waters somewhat, but considering the Oceania price is marked as a "special promotion" they would seem a lot more expensive.

Incidentally I checked my invoice from my February 2012 14 night Asia trip and comparing it to the Azamara cruise next February the price has gone up about £900 per person for a category N1. In all the talk of the prices going up I don't think I have seen any actual comparative figures. As was said earlier it is down to individuals to work out if this rise is worth it and indeed what else is out there for the price and similar experience, the bean counters at work notwithstanding.

It would be interesting in order to get a good picture if others could post their experiences and any comparisons of pricing (trying to keep it apples to apples as much as possible).

Phil

This is an "old" Azamara to "new" Azamara comparison.

This past December we did Quest's trans-Atlantic from Malaga to Rio with seven ports for $133/day in a veranda. This November's Quest trans-Atlantic is from Seville to Miami, with only two ports, and is $199/day in a veranda. Also worth noting is there is no Azamazing Evening on this cruise, so we will miss out on one of the two much-hyped "enhancements" from the November announcement. And we're still in the dark on what we'll get from the other much-hyped-in-November "enhancement."

For what it is worth, here is my price comparison. I need to add that I consider myself to be an Azamara loyalist. All our last 5 cruises have been with Azamara and have been extremely enjoyable.

We were looking for a Baltic cruise this summer and I noticed the Quest has a cruise leaving from Southampton on 10th June and finishing in Stockholm (including St Petersburg). This is a 12 night cruise, although the first 4 nights, before it gets to Copenhagen, are places we know very well.

I asked one of the TAs I regularly use for a price for a V3 balcony cabin. I was quoted £6722 for the two of us. I thought this was high (but other TAs were quoting a similar price) and the TA then suggested that I could get a Regent cruise for a reasonable price.

When I did the comparison, bearing in mind the different lengths of the cruises, I came up with the following figures.

Azamara -what is included- 12 nights; flights back from Stockholm and transfers; Azamazing evening; included drinks (not yet fully defined); speciality restaurants extra; shore excursions extra; "gratuities" included; cabin size 175 sq ft plus 40sq ft balcony. Cost £6722 = £560 per night.

Regent - what is included - 7 nights; flights to Copenhagen and back from Stockholm; 1 night pre-cruise b&b in a good hotel in Copenhagen; transfers; all drinks, including top-shelf brands;speciality restaurants included; shore excursions included; "gratuities" included; cabin size 256 sq ft plus 50 sq ft balcony. Cost £4398 = £628 per night (based on 7 nights, excluding night in hotel). The value of the included excursions is more than the cost difference of £68 per night and there is also $500 on board credit.

(Just for fun, I also asked the cost of a Club Continent suite on Azamara - which was quoted at £7936 = £661 per night. Size of cabin 266 sq ft plus 60 sq ft balcony and therefore more comparable to the Regent cabin).

Admittedly, the Regent cruise is a special offer and prices may have changed since I booked. I would have much preferred to be back with Azamara, although we have enjoyed being on Regent previously. However, is it any surprise that I booked the Regent cruise

Phil, we are taking an 18 night transatlantic cruise to Rio on Oceania Marina in November, the lowest priced balcony (which is now waitlisted) is £2772pp inclusive of flights & taxes (approx £3020pp with grats), a similar cruise in November in the lowest priced balcony on Azamara Journey to Rio for 16 nights with flights, taxes and grats is £4291pp.

These prices are booking direct with the cruise companies.

I haven't worked out the per diem price, neither have I taken into consideration the inclusive alcohol on Azamara or the included speciality restaurants and bigger cabins on Oceania. I'll leave that to others.:)

Archived