Good article on CCL

reerun25

Thanks for the article. Good to know that preventive engineering is an evolving study. We are sailing on Freedom next week, and honestly have had some worries, with now four incidents in the last few months. But having sailed with Carnival before(Glory Nov2012), we were quite happy with the accomodation, food and friendly service, and most likely will be multiple repeat customers if all goes well on Freedom next week.

Thanks for the article. Good to know that preventive engineering is an evolving study. We are sailing on Freedom next week, and honestly have had some worries, with now four incidents in the last few months. But having sailed with Carnival before(Glory Nov2012), we were quite happy with the accomodation, food and friendly service, and most likely will be multiple repeat customers if all goes well on Freedom next week.

I am sailing on the Dream in two weeks, and I am not worried one bit. Looking forward to being on a boat instead of my office at work!

Thanks for that, it is a good article.

And it points out something I mentioned in another thread. The News headlines could easily have been positive but that doesn't sell.

"Carnival avoids potential problem at sea." What about that?

They saw a problem that was relatively minor but decided "not to take any chances." If they decided to sail anyway they probably would have made it back to Florida and no one would ever have known there was a problem. And all these threads wouldn't exist. But! If they decided to sail and there was a problem at sea then the damage would have been worse. Much worse. I think they made a good decision. They still have the Triumph to think about.

The article has a couple of good points to take note of.

Here is one:

"Carnival Dream's six massive diesel-electric engines offered over 84,000 in horsepower and were functioning properly. But before going to sea, all systems on the ship are tested and one of those is backup power.

Carnival Dream's backup system did not pass the test. So with the Carnival Triumph incident fresh in their minds, the failed generator became a "no sail" issue. That's the good part of the story. Carnival could have allowed the Dream to sail the over 1,100 nautical miles back to Port Canaveral; the ships propulsion system worked."

Here is another one which states that what happened on the Legend is common (on all cruise lines) but most ships sail anyway. In light of recent events carnival decided to take precautionary measures.

"Just a day after Carnival Dream was held at the dock (the cruise line equivalent of being grounded, much like the Boeing Dreamliner recently), Carnival Legend was recalled to the port of Tampa, citing propulsion problems. The engines were working; the ship just did not have the ability to go fast enough.

This issue might sound a bit more familiar to frequent cruise travelers. Reduced propulsion issues happen with a bit more frequency on cruise ships from multiple lines and for a variety of reasons.

Design flaws aside, moving parts wear out and these engines and the propulsion systems they provide power for are moving all the time, every day of the year."

So maybe Carnival is taking a hit from the news (and us) but in reality it is all growing pains. They are in the process of cleaning up and during this period they will be extra cautious. To a fault. (?)

And it points out something I mentioned in another thread. The News headlines could easily have been positive but that doesn't sell.

(?)

When have you ever seen the media highlight the positive spin on something?

They saw a problem that was relatively minor but decided "not to take any chances." If they decided to sail anyway they probably would have made it back to Florida and no one would ever have known there was a problem. And all these threads wouldn't exist. But! If they decided to sail and there was a problem at sea then the damage would have been worse. Much worse. I think they made a good decision. They still have the Triumph to think about.

But there is/was still a problem. Yes they limited their exposure to having a bigger problem, but that shouldn't excuse the fact that they are having problems with 13% of their fleet. It may just be dumb luck. Either way, I would not be booking a cruise with Carnival until further information is available. That said, I am currently booked on the Dream and under 75 days to go.

I agree, there is/was a problem. The important things to take away from this are: 1) They found the problem during routine inspection/maintenece and 2) they put safety in front of dollars and chose not to head back to Florida ( which, honestly, they could have done and most likely no one would have been the wiser as it was a backup system anyway)

But there is/was still a problem. Yes they limited their exposure to having a bigger problem, but that shouldn't excuse the fact that they are having problems with 13% of their fleet. It may just be dumb luck. Either way, I would not be booking a cruise with Carnival until further information is available. That said, I am currently booked on the Dream and under 75 days to go.

This is true. But then again, we don't know how often these smaller problems occur on other cruise lines but they decide to keep sailing anyway. The article said as much. But Carnival, now, is being extra cautious.

Archived