Captain Larry's & Ship's Shuttle

kimbtech

We've booked Cap. Larry's whale watching tour in July off the Serenade of the Seas. They told me when I called to add another tour on to our reservation (no problem with that whatsoever) that the ship supplies a shuttle from where the ship moores to their office. I understand that the Serenade moores quite a distance from downtown Juneau (AJ dock?) Has anyone else used a ship shuttle to Cap. Larry's office? Where exactly is their office and is it a walkable distance from the AJ dock? Thanks in advance for any help. Can't wait for this, our 4th, Alaskan cruise!

Yes, I was just at the AJ dock, they run continous shuttles from the ship to downtown and the first stop is where you want to get off at the tram. Orca Enterprises is upstairs across the street.

Just FYI - we had to pay for the shuttle from the AJ dock to the main dock/tramway area- I think it was about $2 each (Princess). Silly for such a short ride - in the past cruise lines provided these types of things gratis. Could have walked it I guess.

We did the Capt. Larry whale watching trip last week and it was great. He knew excactly where the Orcas were and sped out there and we saw a bunch. My husband thought the ride was fun. I hope you have the same luck when you go.

We were with Judyjudy and had an unbelievable 1/2 hour or so with pods of orcas playing around Larry's boat and the express boat.. it was a little unnerving with no stops and passing humpbacks on the way out -- :eek: but they did know where the orcas were and said it was very unusual to see this.. Scottie (the pilot) on the Express was almost as excited as we were.. some in the group got excellent photos.. mine were not with digital unfortunately but I'll try and post one if others have them.

We were with Judyjudy and had an unbelievable 1/2 hour or so with pods of orcas playing around Larry's boat and the express boat.. it was a little unnerving with no stops and passing humpbacks on the way out -- :eek: but they did know where the orcas were and said it was very unusual to see this.. Scottie (the pilot) on the Express was almost as excited as we were.. some in the group got excellent photos.. mine were not with digital unfortunately but I'll try and post one if others have them.

You weren't with Larry????

Our group was so large we used both boats on first tour.and the Aweseome Orca for the second one.. I've been with Larry before and offered back last winter to go on Express with Scottie and two families that didn't want to split up and so that another couple could go with Larry.. We were side by side most of the time. I have no problem going on the Express! We all had a wonderful time!

We were on Capt. Larry's boat the end of May and had a wonderful trip. We saw the humpbacks and then Larry heard where the orca's were. He didn't know if there would be enough time but as he thought about it, he was on his way for an exciting trip. It was amazing. He went a little past the orcas and stopped and waited until they swam our way. We had gone a little further than where he usually goes so we were lucky and he docked at the main pier across from his office and we didn't have to shuttle back to the pier.

FYI just did Capt Larry's tour last Thurs and were were on Serenade. The ship docked right across the street from the tram and Orca Enterprises. Just bear right at the end of the dock and you'll see it.

Can you tell me which boat Captain Larry is on. I see they have a new one and after hearing so much about Captain Larry I would really like to be on his tour.

Thanks

Capt Larry will have his new boat out around the 4th of July. Most of the time, he will be on the new boat - Orca Odysea.

When you call to make reservations - they should be able to tell you if you are on Capt Larry's boat. They book his boat first and then late bookers will get on his other boats (with different captains).

Yes. Larry will be on the new boat but our group split up bec. we were so large and I have to tell you that the Express is just as good... it's not with Larry, which is definitely "the way to go" but the boats shadow, the naturalists are good on all and I would not miss this experience if by some chance the new boat is full .. and I woudl call NOW>>>>:)

i love to go with capt.larry. i have taken his tour twice and was not dissapointed either time. i saw alot of humpbacks the first time ( in sept ) and orca's this time ( may ). if you go to his site www.orcaenterprises and see his pix, that is exactly what you get. he does not put on any airs and is just himself. he is there to get you too the whales, answer questions and to give you the best trip you can have and he has a great naturalist with him . his boat '' the awesome orca'' has large windows for seeing out all the time and you can go out on the back when you stop to get a better viewing or go up a ladder to the top of the boat ( i think it can hold 6 at a time ) to have a better vantage point. take plenty of film or memory sticks. i was one of the lucky ones this may that saw the 4 adults and a baby orka play around us for almost an hour. then they trapped a seal and trained the baby how to deal with it and wear it down for '' their supper'' with their tail. this happened under water of course ( the eating ), but capt.larry said we were very lucky to be seeing such a site. he had only seen it about 3 times the whole time he has been tracking whales.he might have his new boat by the time you go. it was on order when i went with him in may. it will hold more passengers ( he is getting more and more popular and busy ). i know you will have a great time. have fun.

We were with Capt. Larry on the Awesome Orca on June 7th. The Express was near us at all times and actually had better views of the whales. There were only 3 passengers compared to our 23 and a whale breached right off their boat. You couldn't lose on either boat!

We were on Captain Larry's boat on June 11th.

We saw a female humpback activitely feeding. It was hard to tell but it looked like she was bubble netting at one point. We watched her for a good half an hour. She put on a great show. I was teasing Capt Larry about how much he tips the whales when they perform.

we had about 20 people on his boat. One little boy that was about 7 or 8 was really good as a spotter of animals in the water. The crew laid out a platter of smoked salmon, good chedder cheese, and crackers. There was also juice, water, coffee and hot tea available.

We spotted a few more whale spouting in the distance but they decided to hide by the time we reached their location.

We also saw lots of Bald Eagles, seals, Dall Dolphins and sea otter. Larry and the crew pointed out the various glaciers as we sped around looking for whales.

Orca Enterprises took us directly out to the Mendenhall glacier from the whale watching tour. We then took a co-op shuttle back to the Orca Enterprise office on our way back. Our ship was docked about 2 blocks from their office so we enjoyed the stroll back to the ship.

Archived