Wonderful cruise on Summit, but.......

Vacation Nut

Just got off the Summitt this morning as well and my only other cruise was on the Radiance of the Seas and I agree completely with the OP. However just because of our experiences in Blu and the exceptional service we recieved in adjusting menu items for for my wife's dietary allergies, we am inclined to go Celebrity and Blu again. and not just for the food and presentation but the whole ambiance, really fabulous. I always wondered how people could rave about the waiters they had, but I get it now. It really depends on what you value the most. We were so busy with the five islands that we never sat by the pool. Ww were disappointed in how dead Karaoke was and the shows were ehhh. Will probably try an S class for Alaska or Med in the future.

Definitely go for the Med and the S Class. You will love it!:)

Hello all, thanks for all the great info on the Summit. We are booked for the March 8th cruise in 2014. However, this cruise is no longer posted on any travel agency websites and we have heard rumors that Celebrity has chartered this particular cruise to a gay travel agency. Different people have inquired about this to Celebrity but they either say the website is under maintenance (8 weeks??!) or they don't know what's happening. We are planning a March Break holiday with our grandchildren and will be disappointed if it is canceled. Has anyone heard anything about this or know what Celebrity might do for those already booked (over half ship booked prior to this news)? Seems strange they would book a gay cruise during the March Break as it is one of the busiest times of the year and people book very early as a rule. Any info, ideas, help would be appreciated.

We were on the Summit Feb 23 and Mar 2nd of this year and similar Summit b2b last year. When we went to book Summit Mar 1 and Mar 8 2014 while on the cruise, we were told that the Summit has been chartered for the Mar 8 cruise and would not be available. As a result, we are going on Silhouette March 2 and March 9, 2014. Not as good an itinerary but we stay on the ship most of the time anyway. Just staying away from the winter for as long as we can. We like b2b and we've been on the Silhouette before. It's a great ship. We enjoyed the Summit and the fares are a much better deal than on the S class ships. Everyone is right about the lack of nightlife on the Summit. Not so on the Silhouette. There was always something going on until at least 11pm most nights on the Silhouette.

Thanks for all of the info about the refurbished Summit. We're booked for a Bermuda cruise May 2014 with friends, all Aqua Class. I've been on Solstice Class ships many times, but never on Millenium class before, so I'm glad to hear that most have had good experiences. It sounds like we'll be able to make our own fun in the evenings if it gets a little too quiet.

We were horrified to read the CDC's latest inspection report on the Celebrity Summit. The Summit did not pass inspection, with many violations, (see link below), and a dismal score of 81. Any CDC Vessel Sanitation Report score of 85 or lower is considered unsatisfactory

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionGreenSheetRpt.aspx

Click on "Celebrity Summit" in the various ships' listings to read the report.

As you can see, there were deliberate unreported crew Norovirus incidents aboard the ship, and many sanitation problems, which you will note when you read the report, including in the Normandie Restaurant.

This is disgraceful, unacceptable, and we are very concerned...:(

Also, note the CDC disclaimer on the Summit's correction report. The ship won't be checked again until July...Whoa! :rolleyes:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5297

We were horrified to read the CDC's latest inspection report on the Celebrity Summit. The Summit did not pass inspection, with many violations, (see link below), and a dismal score of 81. Any CDC Vessel Sanitation Report score of 85 or lower is considered unsatisfactory

As you can see, there were deliberate unreported crew Norovirus incidents aboard the ship, and many sanitation problems, which you will note when you read the report, including in the Normandie Restaurant.

Also, note the CDC disclaimer on the Summit's correction report. The ship won't be checked again until July...Whoa! :rolleyes:

I guess the 5 page thread you started was not loud or long enough, but thanks for the heads up.....again.

Thank you again for starting your thread. I was surprised it didn't make a bigger "splash" here on CC.

I guess some people would rather ignore important issues and concern themselves with multiple posts on minor issues.:mad:

The delay in public acknowledgment of this failure is also troubling.

Thank you again for starting your thread. I was surprised it didn't make a bigger "splash" here on CC.

I guess some people would rather ignore important issues and concern themselves with multiple posts on minor issues.:mad:

Thank you Rich, so it would seem. I too noticed the delay, and also that CC didn't publish their piece until after I started the various threads on these forums, and the failure was made public via forum posting. Not sure if there is any connection...(?) Most interesting! My hope is that the CDC will do a "surprise" inspection VERY soon, to be certain that corrections have actually been made, and not simply stated that they have, on a form.

Sincerely,

Kity

I am so glad I found this thread. I do have a question for you. We will be in Aqua on Deck 11 and are considering the last cabin on the side - 1136 or 1139. The brochure photo is incorrect as it was taken before the Summit was changed on Deck 11. I called Celebrity and asked and they agreed and could not help me.

The Aqua Deck 11's are above the black windows jutting out. Can you PLEASE tell me if we will not be able to see down because of them or just how that affects the view now? I have hunted and hunted. I found one picture from 2013 of the area in question, but still can't tell.

Does anyone know? We don't really care for a total aft view so I don't want to go there. Deck 9 looks like the cabins are more recessed behind the lifeboats so this is why I chose Deck 11. The lack of overhang is not ideal, but I can do that if view is better.

Thanks so much for your help.

Horrified, but not surprised. We were on the Summit last summer and I thought it was the filthiest cruise ship I had been on in 23 cruises.

The CDC rating didn't make a big "splash" since the thread title didn't mention it. Start a new thread with a related title and see the response....

The CDC rating didn't make a big "splash" since the thread title didn't mention it. Start a new thread with a related title and see the response....

PP already started a separate thread on the CDC issue if I'm not mistaken. It was several pages long....

I am so glad I found this thread. I do have a question for you. We will be in Aqua on Deck 11 and are considering the last cabin on the side - 1136 or 1139. The brochure photo is incorrect as it was taken before the Summit was changed on Deck 11. I called Celebrity and asked and they agreed and could not help me.

The Aqua Deck 11's are above the black windows jutting out. Can you PLEASE tell me if we will not be able to see down because of them or just how that affects the view now? I have hunted and hunted. I found one picture from 2013 of the area in question, but still can't tell.

Thanks so much for your help.

AFter I posted above, I looked again and just found the most wonderful thread by MrJulius and it had picture at the very end of these balconies. Answered my question and to those who want to know, it appears the black windows are almost flush. Great pics for those of you who want to see the aft cabins as well.

Horrified, but not surprised. We were on the Summit last summer and I thought it was the filthiest cruise ship I had been on in 23 cruises.

We are very sorry to hear this, kendon, and are feeling rather uncomfortable about the forthcoming cruise. Guess nothing's to be done, but to see how the ship appears, and hope for the best at this point, as we're committed... :eek:

Kity

We are very sorry to hear this, kendon, and are feeling rather uncomfortable about the forthcoming cruise. Guess nothing's to be done, but to see how the ship appears, and hope for the best at this point, as we're committed... :eek:

Kity

I think you will be just fine. I'm sure Celebrity is all over the ship as we speak and it will hopefully be sparkling clean.

I didn't mean to sound harsh, but the dirty conditions were the talk of the ship the week we were on. Even negative comments from die hard Celebrity cruisers. I'm fine with an old ship, but I'm not fine with a dirty ship.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

I think you will be just fine. I'm sure Celebrity is all over the ship as we speak and it will hopefully be sparkling clean.

I didn't mean to sound harsh, but the dirty conditions were the talk of the ship the week we were on. Even negative comments from die hard Celebrity cruisers. I'm fine with an old ship, but I'm not fine with a dirty ship.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Thanks, kendon, my sentiments exactly! We're hoping they've corrected the many problems and it will be a "clean" ship... :)

Kity

Archived