Have I made a mistake booking Taster cruise!

I love cruising, and my grandchildren have shown an interest. I've booked a taster cruise on IOS for us, but all too late I've realised that on previous cruised most activities close down when we're in port - can anyone who's been on IOS tell me what we can expect. My granddaughter is an Ice skater, and my grandson can't wait to take a turn on the Flow-rider - these two activities are the main reason for booking. We'll be so disapointed if they are only open when we're at sea, because that will only be for a couple of hours on the first day! Can someone please put me out of my misery!

Congrats on booking a taster cruise you did not make a mistake. My first taster cruise was last year on a Trans Atlantic crossing from San Juan-Barcelona and this year the second taster cruise will be from New Orleans-Rome. You may consider me a nut to book a 14 night cruise as my first one and 15 nights for the second one.

I just could not see myself on a 3 night cruise with all that flying time from California-Florida or even Los Angeles.

14 nights gives you the real picture of cruising as you can see whether you really like it or not. A short cruise only allows you to see a limited picture. I feel that a lot of people who book the short cruise see the bad sides and never want to cruise again. My Grandparents booked a 7 day land tour +3 night cruise which would have been too much in a bus for me. After the 3 night Holland America cruise they did not want to go on another cruise.

The same for my Mother shly e went on a 7 night Alaska cruise and never cruised since. I'm going to reintroduce cruising to my Mother because she has too many misconceptions like too much food not enough activites. That is far from the truth. She loves dancing and there is lots of dancing. There is talks about the ports, nightly shows , sing-alongs to the Beatles tunes and more.

I'm so glad that my first cruise was 14 nights so I can really see all sides of cruising from visiting ports to seeing the shows, eating the food and more. If it were a week that would be ok but the price of the crossing was hard to pass up.

You will love cruising with your Grandchildren. BTW I'm 28 years old and hope to be cruising when I'm 100.

I love cruising, and my grandchildren have shown an interest. I've booked a taster cruise on IOS for us, but all too late I've realised that on previous cruised most activities close down when we're in port - can anyone who's been on IOS tell me what we can expect. My granddaughter is an Ice skater, and my grandson can't wait to take a turn on the Flow-rider - these two activities are the main reason for booking. We'll be so disapointed if they are only open when we're at sea, because that will only be for a couple of hours on the first day! Can someone please put me out of my misery!

The Flowrider should be open in port. The ice rinks generally have very limited opening times. I wouldn't count on it be available during a 2 night cruise.

The Flowrider should be open in port. The ice rinks generally have very limited opening times. I wouldn't count on it be available during a 2 night cruise.

Think I've definitely made a mistake then. I've already been informed that I can't book soft drinks package because 'we won't make any money!' and although I should have probably asked this question before paying almost £1000 for a day and a half on a ship, nowhere in any of the literature does it make it clear that these fabulous facilities may not be available. Oh well, we'll just make the most of it and I know we'll still have a good time, I just wish I'd asked before I leapt, might have just bitten the bullet and gone for a full cruise!;)

But think of the good side, you are cruising with your grandchildren!

Absolutely,!!! Have lengthened it by staying in Southampton the day/night before and will go to Portsmouth to look at The Victory and have a couple of hours in the Historic Dockyard. Will be great to compare the new 'giant' (at least to the kids) ship, with the old ones! Plenty of fun and smiles guaranteed!

Congrats on booking a taster cruise you did not make a mistake. My first taster cruise was last year on a Trans Atlantic crossing from San Juan-Barcelona and this year the second taster cruise will be from New Orleans-Rome. You may consider me a nut to book a 14 night cruise as my first one and 15 nights for the second one.

I just could not see myself on a 3 night cruise with all that flying time from California-Florida or even Los Angeles.

14 nights gives you the real picture of cruising as you can see whether you really like it or not. A short cruise only allows you to see a limited picture. I feel that a lot of people who book the short cruise see the bad sides and never want to cruise again. My Grandparents booked a 7 day land tour +3 night cruise which would have been too much in a bus for me. After the 3 night Holland America cruise they did not want to go on another cruise.

The same for my Mother shly e went on a 7 night Alaska cruise and never cruised since. I'm going to reintroduce cruising to my Mother because she has too many misconceptions like too much food not enough activites. That is far from the truth. She loves dancing and there is lots of dancing. There is talks about the ports, nightly shows , sing-alongs to the Beatles tunes and more.

I'm so glad that my first cruise was 14 nights so I can really see all sides of cruising from visiting ports to seeing the shows, eating the food and more. If it were a week that would be ok but the price of the crossing was hard to pass up.

You will love cruising with your Grandchildren. BTW I'm 28 years old and hope to be cruising when I'm 100.

a 14 night transatlantic is not a two night taster cruise which is what the OP is reffering to.

Think I've definitely made a mistake then. I've already been informed that I can't book soft drinks package because 'we won't make any money!' and although I should have probably asked this question before paying almost £1000 for a day and a half on a ship, nowhere in any of the literature does it make it clear that these fabulous facilities may not be available. Oh well, we'll just make the most of it and I know we'll still have a good time, I just wish I'd asked before I leapt, might have just bitten the bullet and gone for a full cruise!;)

is that right that there are no soda packages available on the 2 night cruises? I was hoping for one on mine in may!

• 3 weeks later...
is that right that there are no soda packages available on the 2 night cruises? I was hoping for one on mine in may!

Sorry fo taking so long to get back! I rang to add the soda package and was told that they didn't make any money on them last year! Mind you the same salesperson told me that he doubted the ice rink and flow rider would be open much, if at all! My TA put my mind at rest, she took her children on the same cruise last year and couldn't speak highly enough of it!! I was booking a different holiday so she didn't need to 'big it up,'. So looking forward to it now!!:

Archived