Best and worst excusions in Jamacia

cajunqueen03

We did Dunn's River Falls several years ago. We loved it, but hear it is more crowded now. We went to the Blue Hole with a private company when docked in Montego Bay. As much as I LOVED the Blue Hole, I would not recommend this option.

Our tour company, as well as a few others, were about 1 1/2 hours late. We just stood behind the port building waiting for the vehicle with our guide to pull through the gate for an hour and a half of our time in port. It took almost 2 hours to get to the Blue Hole and another 2 hours to get back. We had less than an hour and a half at the Hole and were late getting back to the ship. We did not get the sight seeing were were promised. I am in the process of working on a partial refund from the company, but nothing would have been worth missing the boat.

We did Dunn's River Falls several years ago. We loved it, but hear it is more crowded now. We went to the Blue Hole with a private company when docked in Montego Bay. As much as I LOVED the Blue Hole, I would not recommend this option.

Our tour company, as well as a few others, were about 1 1/2 hours late. We just stood behind the port building waiting for the vehicle with our guide to pull through the gate for an hour and a half of our time in port. It took almost 2 hours to get to the Blue Hole and another 2 hours to get back. We had less than an hour and a half at the Hole and were late getting back to the ship. We did not get the sight seeing were were promised. I am in the process of working on a partial refund from the company, but nothing would have been worth missing the boat.

Would you be willing to name the "Private Company" you booked with??? :confused:

• 1 month later...

We did the Flavors of Jamaica tour out of Ochos Rios. Only 20 people at a beautiful old planation house and garden. Made five different dishes and "kitchen" was outside on the patio overlooking the hills and ocean. Gorgeous, good fun and great food. :-)

Edited by coast_hopper
removed unavailable photo link

We did the Flavors of Jamaica tour out of Ochos Rios. Only 20 people at a beautiful old planation house and garden. Made five different dishes and "kitchen" was outside on the patio overlooking the hills and ocean. Gorgeous, good fun and great food. :-)

Curious which cruise line you were with? Looking at doing this with RCL in August...

Thanks!

We recently did a tour with Liberty Tours with our teenage sons. Went to the Secret Falls, shopping in Ocho Rios and lunch at Scotchies. Would do it again in a heartbeat. They were outstanding in every single way possible.

We are considering booking with Liberty tours as well and glad to hear you had such a great time. So far they have been great with answering emails and all my questions!! How was the water at the Blue Hole? Cold?

Cindy

We are considering booking with Liberty tours as well and glad to hear you had such a great time. So far they have been great with answering emails and all my questions!! How was the water at the Blue Hole? Cold?

Cindy

We just went with LibertyToursJamaica last month from Falmouth to the Blue Hole and LOVED it. The water is slightly cold because of the depth of the water, but felt really good to jump into considering the heat and humidity in Jamaica. Ricardo was our tour driver, was promptly awaiting our arrival, had a nice air conditioned van, very informative on the hour drive there and gave us the Royal Treatment! I can't say enough about him. He treated us like family and I have to say we made a friend for life. Prior to our arrival, he was great at responding to our emails, called us a few times to make sure we knew exactly when and where to meet him at the port, what to bring- water shoes- (I would stress are the most important), since it is rocky. Once at the falls, he introduced us to our guides and he also stayed along to help assist our family where needed.

The Blue Hole was so gorgeous none of us wanted to leave. We had our money and valueables locked in Ricardo's van, when it was time to go, we simply went up to get the money to tip the guides. We took a group picture and thanked them for such an incredible day.

Next, we were off to Scotchies for the famous jerk chicken everybody raves about. It was as good as they say- even better. We also had some Red Stripe beer to go with it. I had never had that before, and now it is my favorite! This was the best tour of our vacation and we still can't stop talking and thinking about it. The pictures posted on here are beautiful, but being there to see it in person is like nothing I have ever experienced.

I would use LibertyToursJamaica again on my next cruise to go to the Blue Hole, it truly is a hidden GEM!!

We just went with LibertyToursJamaica last month from Falmouth to the Blue Hole and LOVED it. The water is slightly cold because of the depth of the water, but felt really good to jump into considering the heat and humidity in Jamaica. Ricardo was our tour driver, was promptly awaiting our arrival, had a nice air conditioned van, very informative on the hour drive there and gave us the Royal Treatment! I can't say enough about him. He treated us like family and I have to say we made a friend for life. Prior to our arrival, he was great at responding to our emails, called us a few times to make sure we knew exactly when and where to meet him at the port, what to bring- water shoes- (I would stress are the most important), since it is rocky. Once at the falls, he introduced us to our guides and he also stayed along to help assist our family where needed.

The Blue Hole was so gorgeous none of us wanted to leave. We had our money and valueables locked in Ricardo's van, when it was time to go, we simply went up to get the money to tip the guides. We took a group picture and thanked them for such an incredible day.

Next, we were off to Scotchies for the famous jerk chicken everybody raves about. It was as good as they say- even better. We also had some Red Stripe beer to go with it. I had never had that before, and now it is my favorite! This was the best tour of our vacation and we still can't stop talking and thinking about it. The pictures posted on here are beautiful, but being there to see it in person is like nothing I have ever experienced.

I would use LibertyToursJamaica again on my next cruise to go to the Blue Hole, it truly is a hidden GEM!!

Sounds absolutely perfect! The last time we were in Jamaica we did Dunns River Falls and this time we wanted something different and the reviews for Ricardo and Liberty Tours have been great so...here we go. Just confirmed our reservation with him!! Can't wait!

Cindy

We went to Dunns River Falls, River Rafting on the White River and the Blue Hole with Peat Taylor Tours. We had an awesome day and the Blue Hole ended being the highlight of our Jamaican vacation.

If you're interested, you can check out our excursions on YouTube.

Dunns River Falls

River Rafting on the White River

Blue Hole

I had about decided against Dunns River Falls until I watched your YouTube...did you do your own photography. Very good! How touristy is it?

Sounds absolutely perfect! The last time we were in Jamaica we did Dunns River Falls and this time we wanted something different and the reviews for Ricardo and Liberty Tours have been great so...here we go. Just confirmed our reservation with him!! Can't wait!

Cindy

I have been to both- Dunn's River Falls and The Blue Hole (In August) and I can say the Blue Hole is a MILLION times better. I went with a group from our Roll Call on Cruise Critic, which I would recommend. We had been chatting for quite awhile and we decided to do it as a group. This way it kept our cost down. Ricardo was our guide and we truly had a fabulous day with him. I agree 100% with the above poster. I have a ton of pictures if you would like to see them, you can email me at my screen name above @msn.com

I had about decided against Dunns River Falls until I watched your YouTube...did you do your own photography. Very good! How touristy is it?

We did all our own photography--although our guide at Dunns River Falls and the Blue Hole did take photos of us.

Whereas Dunns River Falls is much more touristy with crowds of people the Blue Hole is very secluded and tranquil--no crowds of people and not touristy at all.

Check out my reviews on Trip Advisor for more information about Dunns River and the Blue Hole.

Dunns River:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d4339935-r179490738-Dunns_River_Falls-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

Blue Hole:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d1997485-r176527386-Blue_Hole-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

Edited by dz63

If you want the Realm Jamaican experience with a knowledgeable life long Jamaican, look no more! Jamaica Phil is the man! It was our second time touring Jamaica with him and both times he has been awesome! As we drove through Jamaica he was notin a mad rush like most of the drivers he took his time explaining things they're the way answering any questions and pointing out things of importance. There were 12 in our group and he was very flexible with his schedule making sure each one got to see and do the things that were important to them. His prices are very reasonable much lower than some of the others. We went to the Blue Hole then a beach and along through the countryside. You can google Jamaica Phil his telephone number is on line and he will return your call or you can email him.BEST TOUR OF THE CRUISE BY FAR!

On our recent trip to Falmouth we went with Phil Lafayette and we can highly recommend him. Phil picked us up exactly as planned just outside the port entrance where the independent tours gather. He is a great ambassador for Jamiaca and his joy in showing off his country is evident. He is also funny, articulate, and shared a lot of great info about the places we visited. Our tour was to the Blue Hole waterfalls, a beach and lunch. Our party of three from the Disney Fantasy joined a party of 6 from the RCCL Freedom. Our first stop was a hilltop overlooking the bay where he got us a taste of jerk chicken to go with the view and our beers and rum punches. Phil tailors his tours to suit each day’s group. I needed to stop and get cash because we spent too much money in Cozumel and I didn’t have enough to pay him. And, the other group wanted some snacks, so we made a quick stop at a market and ATM and we were quickly back on the road. Phil narrated as we made our way to the falls. A few of our group rented water shoes for $6/pair near the falls. We parked and Phil turned us over to Cole who led us safely around the falls. There are several small falls and pools and one bigger falls. The climbing and hiking was shorty and easy. We jumped off some small ledges (you could also just watch and swim), and then we moved to the big falls. The guides helped you down about ½ way so you could do a big jump if you wanted to. There was also a crazy hidden rock cave you could go through, a rope swing, and a couple of more big jumps. One 69 year old man was with another group at the falls and he did it all to huge applause. Great fun, and the guides really helped him get in position to jump, and then helped him back up. All in all, a fantastic stop. We made another unscheduled stop to get golf shirts for two of our group that collected them. They were very fast and Phil first made sure we were all OK with the impromptu start, which we were. Next we stopped at an uncrowded private beach for drinks and a bit of frolicking. We enjoyed a couple of unique beverages there. Then to Scotties for a really excellent lunch. I’ve been in Jamaica before, but this was my favorite lunch spot by far. Great jerk chicken and pork with a variety of sauces and drink choices (hard or soft). You knew it was good because of the number of locals that get stopping by to eat! We all agreed that lunch was wonderful. Phil dropped us back at the port with time to shop before we had to be back aboard. We all said our goodbyes after a great day. We’ve been cruising for years and Phil is the kind of guide we look for...easy going, flexible, affordable, prompt, but also organized and concerned about our comfort and safety. Whether Blue Falls or elsewhere, you’ll be in good hands with Phil. http://www.jamaicaphil.com

• 1 month later...
We went to Dunns River Falls, River Rafting on the White River and the Blue Hole with Peat Taylor Tours. We had an awesome day and the Blue Hole ended being the highlight of our Jamaican vacation.

How long did the whole tour last? Where you docked in Falmouth? Nice job on the Youtube videos.

How long did the whole tour last? Where you docked in Falmouth? Nice job on the Youtube videos.

We actually were staying in Montego Bay when we visited Dunns River, went River Tubing and explored the Blue Hole. We were given 1 1/2 hours at each site.

• 2 weeks later...

Which plantation house/garden did you go to? Not sure if there is more than one. Thanks.

We did the Bamboo Beach Break (Carnival) quite some time ago and it was by far the worst experience ever. The beach was not clean at all, facilities were improvised, the buffet was disgusting (sorry but its true) and all was focused on loud music and sexy dances (too sexy for my taste, almost a bunch over the top).

What port in Jamica? We too wanted to do Mayfield Falls to avoid the crowds but am worried about time since we will be at Falmouth.

We did Mayfield Falls and Dr's Cave Beach with AtoZ Jamaica Planners dot com. Mayfield falls was quite a drive, picturesque, not as tall as Dunns river, but not as crowded. Afterwards, lunch at the Pork Pit, and relaxing at Dr's Cave beach.

Chukka 4x4 was also fun, not too bouncy, stops at old church, orange orchard, ending with a lunch.

Our last excursion was through Carnival, and was a dolphin experience, not the pull you though the water (did that at Cozumel). It was good, but not spectacular.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

We just got back from our wonderful cruise and we used liberty tours and Ricardo to go to Irie Blue Hole and Scotchies for lunch. Irie Blue Hole is a beautiful place to go and we had a good time for the time we were there. Another family on our tour van had fell and gotten hurt so unfortunately we had to leave early before doing the rope swing. We were bummed about that. It is not a dangerous place and the accident was just that - an accident. I would absolutely go back there with my family again if I have the chance.

Ricardo was very nice although he seemed a bit like a deer in headlights when the guy got hurt. Rosemarie took over and she was AMAZING. She got the guy to the hospital near Scotchies and took our family back to Scotchies to meet up with Ricardo. Ricardo was very apologetic and very nice and we would definitely recommend the tour company again as it was nothing they did. Scotchies was nice and before we got to Irie Blue Hole Ricardo stopped at some patties store and got us some local food which was very good.

Everyone knew who Ricardo was in port and we got to the place and back to the ship in plenty of time. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

What port in Jamica? We too wanted to do Mayfield Falls to avoid the crowds but am worried about time since we will be at Falmouth.

We were out of Montego Bay.

Also, when we left Montego Bay, we went South, away from Falmouth and Ocho Rios, probably about 45-50 minutes drive from Montego Bay, so it would be that plus the travel time from your port to Montego Bay area.

Google maps shows about 1 1/2 hour drive from Falmouth, FYI...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Which plantation house/garden did you go to? Not sure if there is more than one. Thanks.

NCL does this excursion and it is done at Prospect Plantation. You can also book the excursion directly through them. http://www.prospectoutbackadventures.com/culture/jamaican-jerk-outback-adventure.html Children have to be at least 8 years old.

We haven't been, but I am in serious research mode for our cruise next year and this is one of the things that I ran across.