Review of Dawn 2 bedroom family suite

jwindham

We will be in one of these next November(2014) Cabin 11020 aboard the Dawn. I was able to find this video someone had posted of the same exact cabin we will be in. Watching it, makes me want Nov 2014 to be here NOW:

http://vimeo.com/46524693

This is our suite for November of this year-80 days and counting!!

I love this video and watch it probably once a week or so, just to keep my energy up! Can't wait for that bathtub!

This is our suite for November of this year-80 days and counting!!

I love this video and watch it probably once a week or so, just to keep my energy up! Can't wait for that bathtub!

With our cruise over a year away, I only watch it about once a month. Watched it a bunch when I first found it. I just love the music to it also, hits the nail RIGHT ON THE HEAD, "This is the life."

Edited by vent1020

With our cruise over a year away, I only watch it about once a month. Watched it a bunch when I first found it. I just love the music to it also, hits the nail RIGHT ON THE HEAD, "This is the life."

I agree totally with that: the music is perfect. I started out only watching once a month but my addiction has grown over time. ;)

Please come back after your cruise and give us your impressions of the suite and cruise in general.

~~Maun

Sure will as this post has made me feel so much better. Was a little concerned there was a hidden problem with this type of suite :). Will be happy to share anything I can add.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I was the original poster on this thread. My friend and I just got off the Dawn in the same SC category but cabin 11560. We found it to be in as good or better shape than when we sailed 2 years ago. The concierge and Butler were great but we did not need them much as we are low maintenance. The carpets looked like they had just been cleaned. The lounge chairs on the balcony had been replaced since we cruised 2 years ago and were much better and more comfortable. The balcony felt less crowded than it did before with the new chairs.

My friend noticed the smell of bleach one day in her bath (the smaller one) so we felt they were actively going after mold though none was apparent. Both beds were comfortable and they now put a foam topper automatically on the bed in the smaller bedroom. All of the TVs (4 total) were flat screens and in great shape. The DVD part in the living room worked fine. The upholstery on the sofa and chairs was clean.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks. Julia

Julia,

Can you tell me how much noise you heard while in your cabin?

Thanks!

Very little. I heard the people in the cabin next to the master bathroom a couple of times when nothing was on in our cabin but it was very low. Nothing in the bedroom or living area. My friend heard a few people say goodnight in the hall outside of the cabin but again very little. Now I will say 2 years ago we were on the week of Spring Break and the drunk college kids in the hall were loud the first night. But then security cracked down so that was not bad after that. We could occasionally hear the band at the pool on the balcony but it was not something that overwhelmed us. I occasionally heard some noise through the ceiling from above but very rare and not very loud. If I was ranking cabin quietness for the 19 cruises I have taken, this would be near the top for quiet. Hope that helps. Julia

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I was wondering if anyone can answer some of my questions about this type of room...

1. Can 2 people fit in those jetted tubs?

2. Can people on the balcony see you in the tub?

My Husband, our 1.5 yr old baby (when we cruise) and my mother will be going. Is this room worth it for us or should we just get 2 balconies? Or a Family Suite? I am so torn!

Edited by Bluefox

I answered in your post below.

Hi! I was wondering if anyone can answer some of my questions about this type of room...

It's tight, as the tub is very narrow. But the view is incredible.

There is a window that overlooks the balcony, but the shade can be drawn, and you have private. It is your balcony that can see in. Even with that shade drawn, you still have the main window overlooking the ocean.

My Husband, our 1.5 yr old baby (when we cruise) and my mother will be going. Is this room worth it for us or should we just get 2 balconies? I am so torn!

It was the best room, hotel or otherwise, I have had. Living area is wonderful to just put your feet up and relax.

Edited by CanadaTraveller

My Husband, our 1.5 yr old baby (when we cruise) and my mother will be going. Is this room worth it for us or should we just get 2 balconies? Or a Family Suite? I am so torn!

1. Well, no? I mean, you could, but they're not especially large tubs. Also, I do not believe they are jetted. They weren't on the Gem. (For me personally, that's a positive. Tub jets can grow all sorts of nasties.)

2. There's a shade that you can pull down. Also the windows are tinted, so you can't see much anyway.

We (2 adults 2 kids) prefer the 2BR (SC), so that DH and I have privacy, and so that we have 2 bathrooms. When they were littler, we sailed in a family suite (SJ) and thought it was ideal. If we were sailing with another adult, we'd definitely want the SC, if only to spare the other adult any bedtime drama. ;)

On the other hand, the SC has a lot of furniture, which may not be so great with a toddler. An SJ or a family suite with balcony (SD), has more wide open space, and might suit you better, as long as you don't mind having only one bathroom. There are public restrooms located just at the top of the nearby stairs. Note that the SD balconies are uncovered, so you may need to deal with hat/sunscreen for the little one. The SC balconies are smaller but covered.

Is this room worth it for us or should we just get 2 balconies?

Forgot to answer this part. Traveling with a toddler, I'd definitely prefer a suite. Breakfast and lunch service in Cagney's isn't slow, and the staff will go to great lengths to anticipate your toddler's mealtime needs. Also, the butler can deliver meals (from any restaurant!) to the cabin if necessary.

Plus in a suite you'll get all of the Freestyle Choice perks: $200 OBC, UDP, free gratuities for passengers 1 & 2, and UBP (if your sailing includes it). Note that only listed passengers 1 and 2 will get the ultimate beverage package. Whoever is listed as passenger 3 will get the soda package.

I have the UDP ,BP, OBC i could get the gratuites free also ?

When are you sailing? If you're past final payment, you're out of luck. If not, you can try to re-book to get the current promotion. Call whoever you booked with to get this done. Double-check to make sure your price doesn't go up, and that you don't lose any travel agent provided perks (if any).

Edited by Pikaia

I have the UDP ,BP, OBC i could get the gratuites free also ?

You sure can!! Call NCL or your travel agent if you used one. However, check the price and the OBC. Some booked the S category rooms with $300 OBC and now it is only $200. Just need to check what your net would be to know if it's worth it for you. DSC is only for 2, but I'll take it!

Edited by Kcruiser2014

• 4 years later...

i wanted to thank the OP and other contributors. it seems the 2nd bedroom bed is indeed pretty comfy but i was worried since i know traditional sofa beds stink. but these are better than those people have at home obviously.  i loved the detail of the OP and the little things that matter. i watched a video with the curtain and just assume you would keep the one side closed all the time and slide the other closed when needed or just keep it all closed lol. how many cabins have showers that look to the water. this is rare and very cool!  and since no haven this is so much cheaper than the haven 2br