Car Rental Deals On the Islands!

Doeymeister

I'm starting to go crazy looking at so many websites trying to find the best rate for a car rental at the different ports. It occurred to me that we might be able to help each other out.

If you've found a good deal on a car rental, post it here together with the link if possible. I know that different dates and specials will result in different quotes, but it's one more resource in our neverending search to save a buck.

I've got an intermediate through Enterprise ( http://www.enterprise.com ) in Lahaina for $26.74. I think I used an Entertainment coupon for an upgrade.

Midsize through Alamo ( http://www.alamo.com ) in Honolulu for $37.95 , again using an Entertainment upgrade coupon. Rate Code is BQD, Contract ID is 803291.

I'm still sitting on am Alamo midsize in Hilo at $40.83, but I'm hoping to drop that rate a bit.

I wonder if there's a good negotiator amongst the CC members here that can get a special rate for all the people planning on renting cars in Maui and Kauai .

After all, it's pretty standard : the same days every week, more or less the same pick-up and drop-off times. With Aloha and America, the car rental agency gets four days of rental business out of this deal.

There are many many companies all dealing with the car rental companies. There're expedia, travelocity, orbitz, and many many more. There are several Hawaii based companies specialized in renting Hawaii.

There's also pri-paid companies priceline, hotwire, that often get a cheaper rate, but you pay first.

The rates go up and down all the time, and for any of us it's hit and miss.

• 2 weeks later...

Using Thrifty on each island...Also signed up as a Blue Chip member on line. When the shuttle comes to port...You board the shuttle and tell the shuttle driver you are a Blue Chip member and you are waited on first with your car waiting. Because they already have your information. This was told on Cruise Critic Message Board...So that is what we are doing....Thrifty's web-site was a little more than other web-site that were promoting all Car Rental Places...But when I call Thrifty on this they said these off company prices are not always honored...So We booked on Thrifty web-site...Better save than sorry. Not going to be on the islands long enough to go from Rental Car Co. to Rental Car Co. checking to see if they are $5.00 cheaper....Just want the car and go...and Thrifty...being a Blue Chip Member...Honors that....

Those of you who want a cheap convertible rental in Maui; Enterprise seems to be the one and they were all booked for Aug 8th; so if you are waiting hurry up and book it now if you have a different date; they rent for about $65+tax. Plus they pick up and drop off. The only location that was available was the other Maui locataion on the other side of the island--we needed the Kahului location. Remember to use the entertainment book coupons--it does not have to be a Hawaii book entertainment book coupons. ALso if you have American Express rewards you can use Hertz, Avis or Enterprise. I have heard that Avis is the one that does not do pick up and drop off service, so beware!

I ended up using Hertz on Maui, and Honolulu. I am using a $100 AMerican Express reward coupon for each day and am getting a Mustang convertible. It either comes to $100 or close to it, but just wanted the convenience.

I figured we are staying at the Radisson and will have transfers from the airport through NCL so we can walk to the Marrriott next door to get the car after we check in and then we are staying at the Marriott post cruise and can pick up the Hertz Mustang and return it right there since Hertz has a car rental location right in the Marriott. I do not want the hassle of the airport pickup and return.

And you all should sign up for the car rental programs to get your car quickly once you go to get them; standing in line and waiting is a big hassle when there is a lot of people.

Hertz said they have a shuttle that will take us to and from the Maui pier and they gave us a number to call for this service.

I had heard over and over in the boards that Thrifty does have shuttles that pick you up.

Archived