Skagway help

bjones555

From Skagway we would like to travel into the Yukon all the way to Carcross so we can go as far into the Yukon as we can. We have 3 options for this and wanted to get others thoughts.

1- Using a tour such as Frontier Excursions & Adventures to take a 15-20 passenger mini bus up and back with many stops for photos and to look around. We could travel with a group of friends. Cost $100 each lunch included

2- The White Pass 8 hour trip, train up and large motorcoach bus back. Cost $230 each. The train doesn’t stop up but the bus makes some stops coming back. Lunch included

3- Rent a car about $130 plus gas for up to 4 people, but no tour guide.

Just wanted to hear anyone’s opinion on these or any other thoughts.

I also vote for Chilkoot - they offer two basic Yukon tours.

The Bennett Scenic Journey - 8hrs train ride all the way to Carcross - Lunch in Bennett along with a nice walking tour of this ghost town. After the train, you board a small bus and continue to Emerald Lake and the Carcross Desert and then back through Carcross and back to Skagway - about 239.00 pp

This tour is only available May 30 - Aug 30 Wed, Thur, Sat @ 7:30AM and Tue,Fri @8:30 AM Wed Thur and Sat the train ride is first, Tue, Fri - the bus is first. For more info http://www.chilkootcharters.com/carcross.htm

I did this tour last year and had a blast. BTW the only way to see Bennett is from the RR.

The other tour use the train one direction between Fraser and Skagway and then bus to Carcross. This tour spends lots of time at Caribou Crossing http://cariboucrossing.ca/ this is your lunch stop and also where the sled dogs are. You also visit Emerald Lake and the Carcross Desert before returning to Skagway (or Fraser). They only do lunch for tour groups http://www.chilkootcharters.com/yukonraildog.htm

Dyea Dave offers a similar tour (without the train). Dave will drop/pick you up at Fraser if you want to take the train - you must buy your own ticket.

You can also take a Green Jeep Rental (they pack a lunch for you) and DIY.

FYI there are not that many places to eat in and around Carcross - and it is the only town besides Skagway on the trip.

Again, you can't go wrong with Chilkoot Tours.

I highly recommend Chilkoot tours and either of their train tours. It appears you are considering a ship contracted tour? The least desirable, due to limited stops, too many people, limited - other side viewing and too much time loading/unloading.

The Lake Bennett train, is an excellent opportunity, if interested in history.

If you have a train interest. then, even with the higher price- give it a priority? With a group, also consider splitting up.

A car rental can work very well, as already mentioned, I too find it "necessary" to purchase Murrays Guide.

I also vote for Chilkoot - they offer two basic Yukon tours.

The Bennett Scenic Journey - 8hrs train ride all the way to Carcross - Lunch in Bennett along with a nice walking tour of this ghost town. After the train, you board a small bus and continue to Emerald Lake and the Carcross Desert and then back through Carcross and back to Skagway - about 239.00 pp

This tour is only available May 30 - Aug 30 Wed, Thur, Sat @ 7:30AM and Tue,Fri @8:30 AM Wed Thur and Sat the train ride is first, Tue, Fri - the bus is first. For more info http://www.chilkootcharters.com/carcross.htm

I did this tour last year and had a blast. BTW the only way to see Bennett is from the RR.

The other tour use the train one direction between Fraser and Skagway and then bus to Carcross. This tour spends lots of time at Caribou Crossing http://cariboucrossing.ca/ this is your lunch stop and also where the sled dogs are. You also visit Emerald Lake and the Carcross Desert before returning to Skagway (or Fraser). They only do lunch for tour groups http://www.chilkootcharters.com/yukonraildog.htm

Dyea Dave offers a similar tour (without the train). Dave will drop/pick you up at Fraser if you want to take the train - you must buy your own ticket.

You can also take a Green Jeep Rental (they pack a lunch for you) and DIY.

FYI there are not that many places to eat in and around Carcross - and it is the only town besides Skagway on the trip.

Again, you can't go wrong with Chilkoot Tours.

I believe that the Scenic Bennett Journey also stops at Emerald Lake. I am booked on this excursion in June.

It shouldn't come as a surprise, but I am usually a fan of renting a car. I got the Murrays guide, saved a bunch of cash and drove some of the most beautiful scenery I ever have going from Skagway up to Whitehorse.

In my mind there is no doubt about what I would do. Most of the tour drivers simply tell you whats on murrays guide anyhow... only one road most of the way... you won't get lost.

But I am an Alaskan, so we generally think the more tourists stay off the guided tours the better experience they have.... but that's just me.... and most people who live here.:eek:

It shouldn't come as a surprise, but I am usually a fan of renting a car. I got the Murrays guide, saved a bunch of cash and drove some of the most beautiful scenery I ever have going from Skagway up to Whitehorse.

In my mind there is no doubt about what I would do. Most of the tour drivers simply tell you whats on murrays guide anyhow... only one road most of the way... you won't get lost.

But I am an Alaskan, so we generally think the more tourists stay off the guided tours the better experience they have.... but that's just me.... and most people who live here.:eek:

Ditto. We did the car rental thing (with Murray's Guide). BEST DRIVE EVER!!! We are looking to try and cruise Alaska this year (if the budget allows) and this the only "shore excursion" we would plan for Skagway.

We have done the same, rented a car from Avis three times. Soooooo Easy yet so amazing. We stopped and got sodas and coffee and took off with Murray's giude. Best excursion we had and cheaper cause the car was split three ways. When we saw bears we were able to stop for as long as we wanted, when we were done seeing a site we just got in the car and took off, didnt have to wait for everyone to load up. Did a bit of shopping in carcross than sat at emerald lake for as long as we wanted and still had more than enough time to scour Skagway for deals :D

There are three rental options, one national car rental company, one independent car rental company, one "jeep" company. In the past the "jeep" was 50% higher in cost and off roading wasn't included. Had been the same highway driving as everyone else. This may have changed? They did include some "snacks" that people seem interested in.

There have been posts about the "lack" of mileposts. They are there, you do have to look for them. They are on the northbound side, but pretty infrequent. So keep track via your mileage.

Edited by Budget Queen

• 9 months later...

Thank you for your very knowledgeable advice.

We are visiting ex cruise in mid May. Normally would the road be free of snow and ice or hazardous. Bearing in mind we are used to driving on the other side of the road. We are not keen on doing a bus trip with lots and lots of others. Will do that when we are older and less able.

From Skagway we would like to travel into the Yukon all the way to Carcross so we can go as far into the Yukon as we can. We have 3 options for this and wanted to get others thoughts.

1- Using a tour such as Frontier Excursions & Adventures to take a 15-20 passenger mini bus up and back with many stops for photos and to look around. We could travel with a group of friends. Cost $100 each lunch included

2- The White Pass 8 hour trip, train up and large motorcoach bus back. Cost $230 each. The train doesn’t stop up but the bus makes some stops coming back. Lunch included

3- Rent a car about $130 plus gas for up to 4 people, but no tour guide.

Just wanted to hear anyone’s opinion on these or any other thoughts.

What did you decide on? We are going on Silver Shadow mid May. Only date we can get there. Would love some feedback. What month did you go?

Denise

Thank you for your very knowledgeable advice.

We are visiting ex cruise in mid May. Normally would the road be free of snow and ice or hazardous. Bearing in mind we are used to driving on the other side of the road. We are not keen on doing a bus trip with lots and lots of others. Will do that when we are older and less able.

I also live in Alaska. In 2011 in mid-May we rented a car for the day and drove to Carcross. Much depends on how much snow Skagway will receive and how early/late the spring arrives, but that year the road was perfectly clear and dry.

We've also driven our own vehicles in to Skagway from the Alcan Hwy., but each time it was later in the season. The drive is lovely and very scenic.

Dyea Dave was our choice in 2009. He was waiting for us at the port, decided that the train ride up, was the best choice for that particular morning. He drove us to the train station, purchased the tickets, and then met us at the drop off spot. The tour was a blast, and he offered an Alaskan perspective to the trip into Carcross, and then back to port. We were a party of four Cnds, and the other pax were a family of four from Australia. We were given some choices for stops, and lunch. We are returning to Alaska in

August, and would make our arrangements with Dave, if we weren't also adding an interior 12 day to Denali ( must pay attention to the excursion budget ).

Marilyn

How useful is Murray's Guide in relation to the Milepost? I borrowed the Milepost from the library and it has about 3 pages on the south Klondike Highway (Skagway to Carcross & beyond). Is Murray's Guide worth the extra 30+ pages for photos? Or are there good driving tips in there?

How useful is Murray's Guide in relation to the Milepost? I borrowed the Milepost from the library and it has about 3 pages on the south Klondike Highway (Skagway to Carcross & beyond). Is Murray's Guide worth the extra 30+ pages for photos? Or are there good driving tips in there?

Murray's Guide is the Best!