Tours From Calvi Corsica

mlkitt3

• 2 weeks later...

I have no response from all 3 places posted the threads except from you.

Have looked at trip adviser but it seems all reviews are for land based holidays not shore excursion.

Although there was something about a local train to next town I am trying to explore.

I've done a lot of searching, too. Calvi looks like a relaxing place, and, outside of the Citadel there, don't know if there's too much to explore. Maybe we'll need a restful day anyway. I read in a post that a couple toured the little town, went back to the ship for lunch, and then went back to the beach for a swim - sounds good, but the bunch I'm with only has a couple of swimmers in it to begin with.

We did make reservations for the Pinnacle Grill's Le Cirque dinner that night; the menu looked yummy and we usually go to one of the alternate restaurants for one evening when we cruise. Hope it's worth it!

As for our other ports, I'm all done booking excursions except for Barcelona, that's my next 'job.' I'm surprised at how little choice HAL offers and how expensive some of the excursions are compared to other cruise excursion offerings. I found a nice one that will go to Aix en Provence and Cassis for a whole day which is costing just $20 more than the HAL offering of a 1/2 day in Aix. I read a few reviews where cruisers felt very rushed on their tours and I don't like that. Privately, we can stay as long as we like. Not happy that Marseille is the longest port stop, either, especially since it's on a Sunday. And the tour company we booked with gave me a discount because we booked our Palermo excursion with them as well.

We are doing the 33 day cruise from Istanbul so by the time we get to Calvi will probably be interested in wandering around town and beach day ourselves.

I did read a guide book on France that had day tours around Corsica including Calvi and what you suggested is what they said to do as well.

I agree with the price of ship tours. We have only booked one in Egypt for safety reasons. Someone on CC has organised a private tour it is about a 1/4 of the cost of ours with more places visited.

Cheers

Are you planning anything for Tunisia? I think we're sitting that port out. Last year's fall cruise there changed the port to Sardinia, and that is my hope for this year. I know each port (and every day, considering what happened yesterday in Boston) can bring something, but I think sailing to a port where there is constant turmoil and they've had problems with Americans in the recent past isn't a place you should be sailing. Sorry to hear that they haven't decided to change it yet, because I wrote and asked last week. They said we will hear from them if they decide to change the port, but only close to the sailing date...

• 4 weeks later...
I've done a lot of searching, too. ...... And the tour company we booked with gave me a discount because we booked our Palermo excursion with them as well.

Am still in the process of deciding which tours to take in which cities with which companies. Agree that ship excursions are generally too rushed and too expensive. Which companies did you end up booking with?

The only ports we will probably book are Palermo, Tunisia, Calvi and Livorno.

Find it interesting that most of the tour companies don't put people together but make you do it. Don't mind be added to a booking but hoping that we can build one and fill it at this date is worrisome.

Thanks for any insights. I can be reached directly at hjkapl@aol.com

• 7 months later...

We're on the June 20 Noordam and have decided that Calvi will be a relaxing "local" day. There is a big church and the citadel and a few interesting options for lunch. Mostly we'll walk around on our own, poke into nooks and crannies, have lunch and wander back to the tender dock.

• 1 month later...
We're on the June 20 Noordam and have decided that Calvi will be a relaxing "local" day. There is a big church and the citadel and a few interesting options for lunch. Mostly we'll walk around on our own, poke into nooks and crannies, have lunch and wander back to the tender dock.

Looks like we'll be on the same cruise. From the research I've done, I'm thinking we'll probably be doing the same--just walking around town, grabbing some lunch, back to the ship for a nice quiet day.

Calvi is a beautiful place to stay put and relax. The beach is gorgeous and easily accessible and there is an excellent choice of shops (small boutiques) and cafes/ restaurants. Just relax and watch the world go by without bothering about tours etc.

Calvi is a beautiful place to stay put and relax. The beach is gorgeous and easily accessible and there is an excellent choice of shops (small boutiques) and cafes/ restaurants. Just relax and watch the world go by without bothering about tours etc.

We're on the June 17 Noordam and looking forward to a quiet wander in Calvi with a lunch at a local restaurant with some wonderful Corsican wine.

We will be stopping in Calvi in July. One of my travel books shows all kinds of possible wonderful stops in Corsica including: megalithic ruins, the Prunelli Gorges, European Tortoises Protection Center, the Calanches, Cargese and Sartene. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this places? Also, how to get to them since the ship doesn't necessarily offer excursions?

Thank you.

I spent a week in Calvi some years ago and loved the place. There is the citadel to visit and it has a lovely beach and a harbour with plenty of bars and restaurants. There is indeed a train. I haven't been on it and I don't know how frequently it runs, but I believe you can go along the coast on it to Ile Rousse in about 40 minutes and it is supposed to be a very scenic trip.

Thank you, Aquilegia! I've looked up travel times to several of the locations I mentioned and it looks like it would eat up most of my port time so I'm leaning towards staying in Calvi. It sounds like it has a lot to offer. Maybe a short excursion....I'll research the train offerings.

• 4 weeks later...
I've done a lot of searching, too. Calvi looks like a relaxing place, and, outside of the Citadel there, don't know if there's too much to explore. Maybe we'll need a restful day anyway. I read in a post that a couple toured the little town, went back to the ship for lunch, and then went back to the beach for a swim - sounds good, but the bunch I'm with only has a couple of swimmers in it to begin with.

We did make reservations for the Pinnacle Grill's Le Cirque dinner that night; the menu looked yummy and we usually go to one of the alternate restaurants for one evening when we cruise. Hope it's worth it!

As for our other ports, I'm all done booking excursions except for Barcelona, that's my next 'job.' I'm surprised at how little choice HAL offers and how expensive some of the excursions are compared to other cruise excursion offerings. I found a nice one that will go to Aix en Provence and Cassis for a whole day which is costing just $20 more than the HAL offering of a 1/2 day in Aix. I read a few reviews where cruisers felt very rushed on their tours and I don't like that. Privately, we can stay as long as we like. Not happy that Marseille is the longest port stop, either, especially since it's on a Sunday. And the tour company we booked with gave me a discount because we booked our Palermo excursion with them as well.

Hi I am on HAL Noordam May 7t, 2014. We stop in Calvi….did you ever find good suggestions? Also what tour company did you use for Marseilles stop?

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you, Aquilegia! I've looked up travel times to several of the locations I mentioned and it looks like it would eat up most of my port time so I'm leaning towards staying in Calvi. It sounds like it has a lot to offer. Maybe a short excursion....I'll research the train offerings.

Hi! I'm assuming you are also on the Noordam in July? So am I!

I'd be interested in joining you on the train to Ile Rousse - if it's just a 40 min trip, we should be able to do it easily. I read about the town and it sounds wonderful to wander the medieval streets.

You can contact me at: collette.foster@gmail.com

Cheers,

DrColl. :)

I'm also on the Jul 1-22 Noordam sailing and would be interested in the train from Calvi. I am assuming we are talking about the July 6 call to that port?

Bear in mind it's a tender port, so getting off the ship will take some time.

• 2 months later...

Greetings! Our cruise in Oct also stops at these ports. Could you tell me the name of the tour company you used for Aix en Provence and Cassis? I'm not having much luck on my own.

Thanks!

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from the 22 day cruise which included Calvi. Based on what I was told when I went to the Tourist Information office, the two options I wanted to do (because they were relatively close) were Ile Rousse and the calanches. The tourist guide (not all that friendly) gave us the train schedule to Ile Rousse and told us that our time in port didn't allow enough time to do this trip or the boat ride to the calanches. Maybe someone else actually tried but we thought it was too risky so we stayed in town. Needless to say, we were back on ship in the early afternoon after shopping and seeing the citadel. If you want to see Ile Rousse you may have to use the ship's excursion in this case.

Hi. We rented a car and saw the Provence region (specifically lavender fields) and Cassis. It was my favorite day on the cruise. With a GPS it was pretty simple. Let me know if you would like more information.

I just returned from the 22 day cruise which included Calvi. Based on what I was told when I went to the Tourist Information office, the two options I wanted to do (because they were relatively close) were Ile Rousse and the calanches. The tourist guide (not all that friendly) gave us the train schedule to Ile Rousse and told us that our time in port didn't allow enough time to do this trip or the boat ride to the calanches. Maybe someone else actually tried but we thought it was too risky so we stayed in town. Needless to say, we were back on ship in the early afternoon after shopping and seeing the citadel. If you want to see Ile Rousse you may have to use the ship's excursion in this case.

I have to say that if you can make it to Ile Rousse you should. It was a wonderful port town that was not spoiled by a cruise ship being able to dock there.

It was one of the best beach days I had in Europe. Hands down.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

dear snkwerner

we also want to see the lavender fields as we are on the westerdam june 24 8-6, 2017. which ones did you go to???

. some of the one listed are far from toulon where are ship will port but i would go for it if possible.appreciate any advise you might have.

dianalynn:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: