Carnival Fascination March 25-30 - A trip report

Naomi John

I'm trying something new here. This is a video of how strong the waves were on the beach.

th_Wipeout.jpg

Click on the photo, and it will take you to see the video.

Edited by Naomi John
Additional information

Around 5 PM, the waves and surf were getting stronger, and the sun was causing large shadows, so we packed up our bags, and, thank god, took a land taxi back. ($4.00 per person, same as the water taxi).

Went down to Senior Frogs, they had a wait. The kids were tired, so we went back onto the boat about 6:30 PM. Had a little room service to tied us over for Dinner.

I know some people like Nassau, but I did not care for it at all.

DH and I hung on our balcony to watch the other ships leave. First to go was the NCL ship. Then the Carnival Ship.

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

After some dock runners got a ride on a golf cart, we left. Once clear the area, we dropped off the Pilot. (I love getting pictures of these guys getting on and off the boat).

IMG_0223.jpg

Only DH, DD and I went to dinner this night. but it was good, Chateaubriand, frog legs, shrimp, Beer battered fish and panko crusted shrimp. Yummy. The staff performance was a conga line and DD joined in:

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

This nights towel animal.

IMG_0231.jpg

and fun times attached.

scan0004.pdf

Were there seatbelts in your land taxi back? Were there taxis that could accommodate 5? Trying to decide between water taxi (which needs no carseats) and land taxi for our upcoming cruise. Kids will be 6, 4, and 2.

Edited by luvsviola

This was held at 5 PM the day of Key West. We received the invites the day before. it was held in the Puttin on the Ritz Lounge, which is the AFT lounge where the comedy shows are.

It was very different. Instead of having a variety of drink selections, (wine, blue margaritas, amaretto sours, etc.), they only offered a tall glass of the fun ship special, at first, then a Malibu rum drink about 30 minutes later. We learned later they were expecting around 200 people, but about 50-75 showed. Food was from bad, to pretty good. The first pass around was some sort of flat bread thingy that tasted awful. Around 20 minutes into the party, they came with these mash potatoes with beef in the middle, (yummy!!), and some cheese balls.

The cruise director did a little bit for about 5 minutes, showed the video of the ships, then he let his workers take over with a little dancing. The band was good.

There was a really good bar waitress who took good care of DH and I.

That's all I can say about the past guest party.

Edited by Naomi John
being redundant

Were there seatbelts in your land taxi back? Were there taxis that could accommodate 5? Trying to decide between water taxi (which needs no carseats) and land taxi for our upcoming cruise. Kids will be 6, 4, and 2.

Yes, there were seat belts, and yes, they can accommodate 5 people. Ours took the 11 of us back to the port. We all had a seat and all had seat belts.

Enjoying your review, I'll be watching for the rest of it. I don't mind traveling with a group.... but I seldom follow the group unless they are doing something I want to do, otherwise I do my own thing. I guess I'm a little onery. But heck it's my vacation too.

We are going to be a group of 6 doing anytime dining. I've already warned them we may have to wait sometimes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sure this place has been posted here before, but, love the name:

IMG_0116.jpg

We went down Duval street for souveniers, then to the boardwalk.

Afterwards the group finally split and DD and I went to the Hemmingway House for six toed cats.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

We have never noticed the Better Than Sex restaurant in all the times we have been to Key West...but in May I am going to look for it

Enjoying your review, I'll be watching for the rest of it. I don't mind traveling with a group.... but I seldom follow the group unless they are doing something I want to do, otherwise I do my own thing. I guess I'm a little onery. But heck it's my vacation too.

We are going to be a group of 6 doing anytime dining. I've already warned them we may have to wait sometimes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Traveling with a group was not the problem, DH and I did a cruise in January with a group of 22, and had a great time. This was with family,and so my DD could get the most time with her Dear Cousin, I went with the flow and did not say anything.

We have never noticed the Better Than Sex restaurant in all the times we have been to Key West...but in May I am going to look for it

It's on Truman Street, I think, near the cemetary.

Afterwards the group finally split and DD and I went to the Hemmingway House for six toed cats.

IMG_0134.jpg

Loved going to the Hemingway House in Key West (Freedom Cruise). I wanted to see the cats with six fingers! I took a lot of pictures of all the cats. Loved them!

I'm trying something new here. This is a video of how strong the waves were on the beach.

th_Wipeout.jpg

Click on the photo, and it will take you to see the video.

I must be sick! I always laugh when people fall. Gave me a giggle!

This was a nice day. DH, DD, and I were up around 9 am. Decided to go to the main dining room for breakfast. What was nice is Mohamid was our waiter. First I asked him if he got any sleep the night before as he was our waiter for dinner. He said his normal 3-4 hours. After Breakfast, DD and I went to the towel folding demonstration. It's always fun.

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

In the middle of this, SIL calls on the radio to advise they were all up on lido and DC was wondering where DD was. Told her I would get back with her.

Is my DD good or what?

IMG_0245.jpg

DD and I went back to the room so she could change, then went up to lido to find her cousin. Advised SIL I was heading to the Stars Bar for some trivia games. Was a little late for the first one, but was able to participate in the Movie Line Triva. They give you a line from a movie, and you have to guess the movie. Good and bad - The lines were the same ones from my Triumph Cruise in October, yippie. I won, got all 25, (on the Triumph I missed one, remember what I missed), and received a ship on the stick. I guess you could accuse me of cheating, buy it's not my fault Carnival uses the same questions over and over on different ships.

Did I mention the tempurature was only a high of 65 degrees with a north wind. Locals said this date was one of the coldest in history.

After the Hemmingway House, it was around 12:30 PM. the boat was leaving at 2:30 PM, so we decided to return the car, find some food and beer and walk around Malory Square for a bit.

IMG_0144.jpg

My retirement island:

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

Key West is a nice place for artsy people like myself. I wish we could have seen more of the museums and homes off the main drag. Duval Street reminded me of Bourbon Street in New Orleans, not impressed. Our DC wanted to find a beach, but I explained to her this was not the place for a beach day. We went back to the ship a little before two. The kids went for swimming and ice cream, DH and I ordered room service. It came very quickly. I had a turkey sandwich and DH had the beef loin sandwich. Both were fine and helped us until dinner. How's this a treat from your balcony while leaving Key West, a school of Dolphins:

IMG_0155-2.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

It was just us three for dinner, I had a salad, shrimp cocktail, and mango soup. I was not impressed with anything else on the menu this night. I'm not sure what DH had, DD ate Mac and Cheese. I was not feeling well, my stomach was not right, so I turned in early and DH, DD and some of the family went to the DIVA show. I was asleep by 10 PM.

and key west was in the 50s! we were trying to buy sweatshirts.

Thanks for the review. We are going in May. First time on this ship and second on Carnival. Can't wait. Do you have any of the camp carnival schedules?

No I am sorry this is the first time I did not keep the CC schedule. Sorry.

Great review thanks

In no way did you cheat on the trivia; the whole purpose of trivia is to learn and you learned very well.

dot

Thanks.

Great review! How bittersweet to pass the Triumph on your way to Jacksonville. The girls are all too cute! :)

Thank you and it was. Passed it on the way home as well, and the poor thing keeps getting beat up. Will have to book a sail with her once she's all better just to show her we still love her.

There is just something about the Fascination..that makes you love it. We live in JAX sailed it for the first time last may. We have cruised a bit, and we were oh we are going to so disappointed and don't be rude and make comparisons with big ships and other lines..

WOW. Loved the staff. Loved the fellow passengers. Loved the laid back vibe. We sailed in May and the ship was full of college kids and high school grads. THEY GAVE ME HOPE FOR THE FUTURE GENERATION. Polite. One young man..dreadnaughts...rapper attire somewhat....had to be a basketball player....holding the door for old me..yes mam, no mam. I mean he would have been right at home in Buckingham Palace. TWO College grads played Trivia with us. Both times we won..and they took the Ship on a Stick home with them.

The food was cruise food. Some good. Some not so much. The Grill...ham and cheese toasted........to die for. Ditto pizza I thought. The Salad bar...wonderful. I loved it. Ditto the Desert Bar. I loved the signs showing clearly where everything was...

We sail on the Breeze in Sept. After that..We are going to have a date with the Fascination..God Willing.

So glad you enjoyed your cruise. And I share your opinion of Nassau. Returning there anytime...is too soon.