Copper River Princess Lodge

LSibiglia

Going to Copper River Princess lodge on June 23 for 2 nights. We really don't want to spend money on the Princess Excursions there. Can anyone tell me or lead me to somewhere, where we could find something else fun to do. We are pretty adventurous and like many things. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Larissa:confused:

Going to Copper River Princess lodge on June 23 for 2 nights. We really don't want to spend money on the Princess Excursions there. Can anyone tell me or lead me to somewhere, where we could find something else fun to do. We are pretty adventurous and like many things. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Larissa:confused:

would also like info on fun things to do at Copper River

We stopped by the Princess Copper River on out driving trip in AK. We did not stay there but my impression of the place was that I would not want to stay there and if you did not do Princess excursions or have a car, there was almost nothing to do there.

DON

We stopped by the Princess Copper River on out driving trip in AK. We did not stay there but my impression of the place was that I would not want to stay there and if you did not do Princess excursions or have a car, there was almost nothing to do there.

DON

Thanks Don, I don't have a choice we are staying there...I am looking at few options through princess...so we will see.. Thank you again...

Like the Kenai Princess, the Copper River Princess is a lovely place and a lovely setting, but extremely isolated. I didn't stay there, just drove by for a look since we were in the area.

Your only options are what Princess offers. Did you look at the Lodge web site in addition to the cruisetour info?

You are very limited and likely will have to stay with Princess.

Why did you choose this location, was there something of interest, or was it just an inclusion that didn't matter?? Because if there was something of interest, then bite the bullet and go with the Princess tour.

If you didn't know, the Wrangells are a highlight, I would suggest flying, and getting to McCarthy/Kennicott. If into fishing, the best of the best is Copper River salmon- excellent if in "season". Hopefully, you are in Valdez as between there and the Copper Princess is the forte of the Richardson.

If you didn't know, the Wrangells are a highlight, I would suggest flying, and getting to McCarthy/Kennicott. If into fishing, the best of the best is Copper River salmon- excellent if in "season". .

I would agree with Budget Queen on Kennicott. A great place. We stayed in a B&B in Chitina, flew into Kennicott, stayed there for 3 days and took the bus out.

You are suffering from CruiseTour itinerary problems. Based on what the CruiseTour is probably costing you and the idea of 2 days at Copper River, I would probably just dump the stay at Copper River, accept the monetary loss and try to get to Kennicott.

However, that is just me. If I make mistakes in my trip planning and I have made many in my time even with the planning I try to do, I just cut my losses, book what I should have done in the first place, and do not worry about it.

DON

It is a lonely place out there. Princess has learned that in order to get as much money as possible, they need to isolate cruise tour passengers from any chance to use outside vendors.

Most cruise tour passengers are perfectly happy with the set up.

Most but not all.

I've done cruite tours with family members and just kept my mouth shut about my own feelings.

It is a lonely place out there. Princess has learned that in order to get as much money as possible, they need to isolate cruise tour passengers from any chance to use outside vendors.

Most cruise tour passengers are perfectly happy with the set up.

Most but not all.

I've done cruite tours with family members and just kept my mouth shut about my own feelings.

Before the McKinley Princess, they used to use Anchorage which was ideal. Plenty of options, then they found Denali Princess over extended then built the 'holding tank" at the McKinley Princess, problem solved for keeping a boat load of revenue, and isolated Alaska visitors totally dependent on Princess for their booking agent. This deal with vendors is a huge revenue source. One vendor I know, claimed Princess wanted 40% of the excursion price, for their contracts.

A significant reason, I always caution people to do their homework with cruisetours. Way too many book blind, skimming over the 'nice" sounding descriptions but clearly having no clue what they have purchased. There are a lot of very significant lacking cruisetours sold. People are best to know about this before they get trapped.

So true -- Princess captures as much revenue as possible from their passengers, whether it be sales of souvenirs or excursion purchases. While all the cruise lines want to generate as much in sales as possible, Princess seems to be the most controlling.

Princess does have it down to a fine art. Princess pioneered the 'keep the passengers in a box' cruises and cruise tours long ago back in the 1970's. Not only are some of their lodges very isolated, but local vendors are forbidden to pick up guests on their properties.

This works to the guests disadvantage especially at Princess Kenai and Copper river properties. Princess owns the roads on their properties and can control who comes and goes.

We have younger generation family members who have rafting/fishing/guiding services in Alaska so we hear it from their point of view.

However (but not really to defend Princess) most cruise tour travelers go home happy and satisfied with their decision.

However (but not really to defend Princess) most cruise tour travelers go home happy and satisfied with their decision.

Because they do not know any better. Ignorance is bliss and a cruisetour takes no planning. I probably spend too many hours planning my trips but they almost always turn out good.

DON

Because they do not know any better. Ignorance is bliss and a cruisetour takes no planning. I probably spend too many hours planning my trips but they almost always turn out good.

DON

I enjoy the trip planning as much as the trip!

That said I tend to under plan places I know well. I overplanned Australia and did OK but missed just wandering around time.

Archived