Can I pack what I need for the cruise in a carryon?

When we did our 12 day Med cruise, we had 1 day pre-cruise in Paris, 3 days pre-cruise in Rome, 12 day cruise, 3 days post-cruise in Venice and 3 days post cruise in Paris, making it 21 days away from home.

I mistakenly booked International airfare separate from Domestic airfare. We flew non-stop direct flight from LAX to Paris, but then from Paris on to Rome was considered a Domestic flight. So we were allowed two checked bags for the International flight of 50 lbs each, but for the domestic portion we were only allowed 1 checked bag of 44 lbs, so we couldn't take advantage of the two International checked bags.

We ended up taking a 25" roller bag and a 21" carry-on. My carry-on attaches to the 25" bag, so only wheeling one bag. It wasn't difficult at all with a little pre-planning. I booked my hotel in Venice right in Piazzale Roma, so we didn't have to cross any bridges. I wasn't taking a train, but I think a 25" bag wouldn't be too bad to get on the train (the trips I have taken the train I used a 29" suitcase). I had plenty of room for anything I wanted to take, even formal pantsuits.

We were dumping books, maps, etc. to make room for our purchases for the return. I think we were a little over the 44 lbs allowed, but the check-in girl let it slide.

Just mix and match as others have stated and limited number of shoes.

Above all else, have fun planning, then taking your cruise.

I'm sure you could but I'd be asking myself "Do I really want to?" I am already a light packer. One suitcase and no carry-on except my purse. Going down to just a carry on though would probably mean I'd have to give up on dress clothing, wear the same thing over and over, and do laundry. None of those things appeal to me. I don't find a single rolling suitcase to be much more of a burden than a rolling carry on and the larger suitcase gives me so much more room for things to make my trip more enjoyable. For me. It all just depends on what you can and can't live without.

We are looking at cruises in late August and October that depart Venice and arrive Rome or vice versa, and plan to spend several days in the northern Italian Lakes and Venice on end of the cruise and Rome on the other end. We have cruised previously from ports we could drive to and took clothes and shoes for the dress-up nights as well as our casual clothes for daytime. On non-cruise trips to Europe, we have packed everything in a carry-on suitcase and a back pack for each of us, and we would like to be able to do this for the cruise as we don't want the hassle of handling larger, heavier suitcases on the land portion of our trip (we did this once, to England and Amsterdam, and it was a nightmare.) This morning, it suddenly occurred to me that it would be difficult to fit everything into a carryon. I coordinate everything I wear and do layering, but would still need something dressier, plus bathing suit, and perhaps a jacket for cooler evenings. I would like to hear from those who have managed to do this.

Thanks for your help!!

It is worth the effort to pack light for the freedom of being able to able on one's own with ease. Although clearly not everyone feels that way. ;)

There's a good ongoing discussion on the Italy Ports of Call forum here that you may find useful. In particular, my last post has a link to a site with some really good and practical tips:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1819969

You can also purchase some Space Savers Travel Bags. I use these because I am the opposite. I am an over-packer, this allows me to pack even more.:D You just put the clothes in the bag, seal, roll to compress the air out. The good thing about it, the clothes do not wrinkle.

I don't think the issue is luggage on the ship - its having enough proper clothes for a cruise while packing light enough for the land part of the trip. It sohuld not be a problem taking checked size luggage if they 'stay put' in one city. It is a hassle when moving from one city to another.

Thank you for clarifying what I thought I had made apparent in the original post! Your interpretation is exactly right!

We have a "system" we use to pack for land-based travel and have successfully packed for trips to Europe and elsewhere using one Rick Steves rollaboard carry-on suitcase and a small backpack. We have also packed for cruises, bringing the evening wear (sometimes my husband even brings his tuxedo), swim wear, casual wear, and lots of different shoes. My dilemma is how to meet the needs of both types of vacations without lugging multiple suitcases around Italy, especially since we plan to visit several different locations in Italy before and after the cruise.

I am sorry that not everyone understood the question as you did but have appreciate the many responses. I always go on the travel boards when planning a trip as everyone is so eager to help!

My parents have cruised with only a carry-on. They may have opted to skip formal night. I don't know if they did laundry, but knowing my dad, probably not.

When I was 18, our family toured Europe for a month and we each took one carry-on and that was it. We did laundry once a week or so.

It can be done. None will notice or care if you repeat outfits.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

We managed a 7 night precruise multicity land tour in Spain on our own. Followed by a 10 night cruise. We took taxis and trains. I packed all our stuff in one 25 inch and one 22 inch carryon. Of course we both had large 'totes' that we kept with us at all times. On the trains I locked both our bags together so it would be difficult for someone to 'mistakenly' take our suitcase. I accepted that we would not be blinged out for this cruise.

I think packing light is definitely worth it! I can barely keep track of what my fiancé has worn the day before, let alone strangers! They don't care! I can wear the same pair of jeans for a week or more, and there's no problem. As long as I have two of something, then I always have a spare. How often do I spill on myself? Very rarely. Do I really need to bring three pairs of jeans just in case? If it happens to my one and only pair, I will just wear pajama or workout pants while they get cleaned. Or shorts, or my formal night pants.

I've heard that you're supposed to pack for the best case scenario and then buy yourself out of problems, because they won't happen that often. So if the weather is supposed to be summery, pack summery clothes and just buy a jacket if the unusual would happen. Or buy an umbrella if rain suddenly develops. Or pay for laundry if a big spill occurs. More than likely, you won't need to, and you will be happy you didn't bring the extras for "just in case."

One smart rule of minimalism is the 20/20/20 rule. It refers to the silly things we keep "just in case." It states that that more than likely, if you need one of your "just in case" items that you don't have, you will be able to replace it in under 20 minutes, for less than $20, within 20 miles. Although cruising probably makes a difference in this case. :-) But it has helped me have less and not worry about it.

It is worth the effort to pack light for the freedom of being able to able on one's own with ease. Although clearly not everyone feels that way. ;)

There's a good ongoing discussion on the Italy Ports of Call forum here that you may find useful. In particular, my last post has a link to a site with some really good and practical tips:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1819969

Oops, just re-read that -- I meant to say being able to TRAVEL on one's own with ease. :o

I'm going to be headed to Rome on the train after disembarking in Venice on my upcoming cruise. I'm on my own and have to get myself to the train station, and on and off the train. Plus doing my own transfers in Athens at the beginning and Rome at the end.

It's MUCH easier to pack light.

There is no way that I would bother trying to limit myself to one carry on suitcase. It would really diminish my enjoyment of the trip that I spent thousands of dollars to go on! One time we had to drag 2 suitcases each through Venice up and down the steps and the bridges, and I would do it again before I would not have the items I need for an enjoyable trip. If you want to have just one suitcase, I would use one 25 inch suitcase. You should be able to pack everything you need to feel comfortable in all types of possible weather as well as a bit of extra room for items you purchase while traveling.

Royal Caribbean ships do not have laundry facilities. Do you really want to spend your valuable vacation time in the Laundromat? I don't! I have hand washed a few items, but they take a LONG time to dry if you don't have a balcony. Also, please keep in mind that while on a ship there is very limited access to any shopping for items you might have forgotten, so bring what you need with you!

My wife and I are taking one regular sized suitcase each and one carry on each for a 12 day Mediterranean cruise in late May early June. We're taking 9 days before the cruise and 3 days after the cruise to explore Spain. We don't stay in hotels. We stay in apartments. I make sure that the apartments are fully equipped including a washer & dryer, iron & ironing board. This way we board the ship with all clean clothes packed. Apartments are much cheaper, have a lot more space than hotels, and have all the amenities of home.

we are checking one hard-sided bag apiece. we are taking one carry-on that will have what e need to survive if our checked luggage has a problem (meds, toiletries, a change of clothes each. wife will have a large purse and I'll have a small laptop compatible day pack for in flight grub, netbook, glasses, mp3 player, etc. if I was going solo I'm sure I could easily manage with just the carry-on and day pack.

To be perfectly honest, the debate between the “travel light” proponents, and “travel light=freeze at night” advocates is simply an ego debate. The travel light folks tend to compete to see how light they can travel. The thought is that the more experienced a person is, the less things they need. Some can do a month-long round the world tour with a day pack.

I certainly understand the “pack light” mentality. Although we do not compete with ultra-light travelers, on our vacations my family tends to travel light: unless we bring snorkeling gear, or heavy winter clothing, or are bringing lots of presents, for any international or domestic travel we simply have carryons (roughly 35-40 liters each). This is done so that we can easily jump on a plane, or a bus, or a train, or whatever, without having to need to keep track of many luggages, etc. It is simply easier to be on the move when you pack light. To me there are many good reasons to pack light.

HOWEVER, in case of most cruises, I do not see the urgent need to pack light. You get on easily with lots of luggage, and you can get off with lots of luggage. You unpack/pack once.

To answer OP’s original query: here is what I would pack for a vacation like you describe if you want to travel light (including what I’d wear):

3 pairs of underwear,

3 pairs of socks,

3 shirts (T/polo/long sleeve, depending on the time of year),

1 swim suit,

1 pair of shorts,

1 pair of long pants,

2 pairs of shoes (hiking boots/tennis shoes/sandals, depending on activity),

1 sweater or sweatshirt,

1 rain jacket,

1 hat,

sandwich-sized Ziplock bag of toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, razor, deoderant),

maps, pages torn from guidebooks,

wallet, money, passport, itinerary printout,

watch, cell phone, camera, charger(s), miniature flashlight, small Swiss Army knife,

4x6 inch notebook, 2 pens, 1 pencil, 1 marker,

sandwich-sized Ziplock bag of First Aid (2 to 8 tablets of each: acetominophen, loperamide, levofloxacin; 4 band aids, tweezers, sunblock, hydrocortisone, benzocaine).

Laundry is easy: at the end of each day, take off your clothes, throw the underwear, socks, and shirt into the shower, and take a shower. The soap that you use helps to soap up the clothes, and by stamping on your clothes you agitate it. After your shower, just rinse out your sudsy clothes (optionally handwash those that is still not clean), and hang them up. Within 24 to 36 hours they should be dry, so technically, you can get away with having just 2 pairs of underwear/socks/shirts, with one in reserve.

I think packing light is definitely worth it! I can barely keep track of what my fiancé has worn the day before, let alone strangers! They don't care! I can wear the same pair of jeans for a week or more, and there's no problem. As long as I have two of something, then I always have a spare. How often do I spill on myself? Very rarely. Do I really need to bring three pairs of jeans just in case? If it happens to my one and only pair, I will just wear pajama or workout pants while they get cleaned. Or shorts, or my formal night pants.

I've heard that you're supposed to pack for the best case scenario and then buy yourself out of problems, because they won't happen that often. So if the weather is supposed to be summery, pack summery clothes and just buy a jacket if the unusual would happen. Or buy an umbrella if rain suddenly develops. Or pay for laundry if a big spill occurs. More than likely, you won't need to, and you will be happy you didn't bring the extras for "just in case."

One smart rule of minimalism is the 20/20/20 rule. It refers to the silly things we keep "just in case." It states that that more than likely, if you need one of your "just in case" items that you don't have, you will be able to replace it in under 20 minutes, for less than $20, within 20 miles. Although cruising probably makes a difference in this case. :-) But it has helped me have less and not worry about it.

Love your common-sense answer.

Thanks.

A couple of notes for the OP:

(1) About 2 years ago we flew into Marco Polo Airport (Venice, IT). We only had carry ons. As opposed to cruisers who waited for 40 minutes for luggage (this is Italy; things take longer), haul luggage from the conveyor belt onto a bus, and then haul it to the ship, we just went from our plane to the orange line of Alilaguna, for which the dock is in airport. We were able to go down the Grand Canal, seeing more in that hour than 80% of day trippers see all day. It dropped us off by St Marco square, and then we meandered through the town to our hotel. Yes, we could have taken the Blue line directly to our hotel, but we purposefully took the Orange line so that it dropped us off far away from our hotel, so that we could sight see; it made no sense to us to go to the hotel, drop our luggage and then go sightseeing -- we were sight seeing with our carryons.

(2) Pay attention to the restrictions that many European airlines are placing on carry-ons. The dimensions are smaller than in the US, the weights are lower, and these limits are enforced more vigorously. For flights within Europe, it cost us about 40 Euro for a particular flight, but the penalty for bringing in a carry on that is oversized and has to be checked was 100 Euro. :rolleyes:

We are looking at cruises in late August and October that depart Venice and arrive Rome or vice versa, and plan to spend several days in the northern Italian Lakes and Venice on end of the cruise and Rome on the other end. We have cruised previously from ports we could drive to and took clothes and shoes for the dress-up nights as well as our casual clothes for daytime. On non-cruise trips to Europe, we have packed everything in a carry-on suitcase and a back pack for each of us, and we would like to be able to do this for the cruise as we don't want the hassle of handling larger, heavier suitcases on the land portion of our trip (we did this once, to England and Amsterdam, and it was a nightmare.) This morning, it suddenly occurred to me that it would be difficult to fit everything into a carryon. I coordinate everything I wear and do layering, but would still need something dressier, plus bathing suit, and perhaps a jacket for cooler evenings. I would like to hear from those who have managed to do this.

Thanks for your help!!

http://www.eaglecreek.com/travel-tips-packing-lists

Checkout this video for packing a 10 day vacation using packing folders and packing cubes. There are many brands. I ordered eBags cubes. The also carry other brands.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/packing-cubes-3pc-set/13032?productid=949921

Archived