Can I pack what I need for the cruise in a carryon?

We are looking at cruises in late August and October that depart Venice and arrive Rome or vice versa, and plan to spend several days in the northern Italian Lakes and Venice on end of the cruise and Rome on the other end. We have cruised previously from ports we could drive to and took clothes and shoes for the dress-up nights as well as our casual clothes for daytime. On non-cruise trips to Europe, we have packed everything in a carry-on suitcase and a back pack for each of us, and we would like to be able to do this for the cruise as we don't want the hassle of handling larger, heavier suitcases on the land portion of our trip (we did this once, to England and Amsterdam, and it was a nightmare.) This morning, it suddenly occurred to me that it would be difficult to fit everything into a carryon. I coordinate everything I wear and do layering, but would still need something dressier, plus bathing suit, and perhaps a jacket for cooler evenings. I would like to hear from those who have managed to do this.

Thanks for your help!!

Some do this, but I sure wouldn't. I don't want to be washing clothes and hassling over not having enough to wear. And, what do you do if you want buy anything in Europe? You have no place to pack anything. While doing this for the Caribbean might be fine, and I understand the wanting to be as lightweight as possible, I just can't see doing that for a European trip. Besides that, I'm way over the age of backpacking through Europe like in college days.

Just put the case on the bed and keep putting in and taking out until you are happy with what you have. If you can't get everything you want in then your choice is to take another bag or take something out.

What a fabulous trip you will be taking!

After reading many different threads through-out this board, I know there are some who have just taken a carry-on. It seems like the number one reason for doing so, is what you stated...didn't want to drag luggage around Europe. It also seems they will do laundry at some point.

Never have had the opportunity to go to Europe yet, but, I travel very light myself and have no problem wearing items a few times plus mix-n-matching. Some do not like to do laundry on vacation...but, for me I would do laundry over dragging all kinds of luggage around. :)

However, I would see where taking formal wear may cause problems with space. Good Luck! I'm sure you will get lots of great tips here.

This is discussed many times on the Fashion & Beauty Board

Here's one thread to get you started-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1687293

Some pointers--

Mix and match

Layer

limit the amount of shoes

pack for a week and repeat- do laundry

Do not bring full size toiletries--decant everything. Some of our liquids travel in old contact lens cases and old eyedrop vials.

Check out these blogs and websites

onebagtravel.com

http://ladylighttravel.com/

http://www.travelbelles.com/2012/05/confessions-and-revelations-of-a-bag-lady/

http://travelfashiongirl.com/packing-light-ultimate-minimalist-travel/

http://travelfashiongirl.com/mix-and-match-outfits-for-travel-essentials-packing-list/

http://travelfashiongirl.com/maximista-packing-list/

it's harder, but it is doable. You really need to plan ahead.

I limit my bottoms (who remembers if those are the same black pants? no one)

I tend to take more blouses instead of t-shirts. I can wear them during the day and at night for dinner. My formal item is a sequin top - I'll wear it for the 2 or 3 formal nights. Dark navy trouser jeans work for both the day and evening (non formal). Black leather shoes that work for walking and the ship.

I do laundry during the trip. A mix of hand washing and I'll send things out.

Hello fellow Houstonian! I am planning 1 carry-on and a half packed suitcase for my trip to the Baltics in August. The half packed suitcase because I know I'll be shopping and wanting to bring stuff home. Plus I'll need jackets and longer sleeves since the highs will only be in the low 70s. LOL

If you haven't hit Athleta in the Town & Country Shopping Center you should head over there. Lots of skirts/pants/skorts that can be packed without worry about wrinkling. Also look for Jersey Knit dresses - sundresses and formal dresses for the same reasoning.

Plan on limiting the number of DH's dress shirts - they can be laundered on board. Have him wear his suit/sports jacket while traveling. One big key is limiting shoes. We bought DH some lighter weight black walking shoes that are trendy enough to wear when getting dressed up. I know take only one pair of dressy sandals (of course my travel clothes are all black compatible). Since you will be on the ship for the middle part of your trip - just pay the laundry costs (you are saving checked luggage fees and making the land travel so much easier).

Does your cruiseline have formal nights? If so, are they important to you? while it is possible to pack lightly and dress up for formal nights, I find it easier without formal wear (one can opt for casual venues on most cruiselines). Once the formal wear decisions are made, the rest is pretty easy. Plan on layers. Limit shoes. Mix and match clothing. Use laundry service.

Check how much carry-on your airline will allow.

For our transatlantic (on a European airline) we cannot have more than 6 kg (13 pounds) and are only allowed one piece of carry-on (plus small laptop bag, plus small purse) per person. While I do have a small rolling case that fits their max. measurements and is not too heavy itself... no way I could do a three-week trip with only that, not even mixing and matching.

Of course, if you don't mind doing laundry regularly (make sure this is possible before and after the cruise) and not taking too many extras - try. Pick out what you think you will "need" on the cruise, see if you can fit it all in the carry-on you would like to use. If your airline has a max. weight for carry-ons weigh your clothing, remember that a suit will be heavy.

I am certain it can be done.

As I can check in one piece of luggage for my flight (included in the price) I doubt I would want to do it.We pack light but I personally wouldn't want to restrict myself to just 10 pounds of luggage.

In the past I have overpacked for every cruise I have been on, which is strange because I have never overpacked for any other type of vacation. For my next cruise my goal is to pack one bag, hopefully a carry-on with all my things. I think I can do it if I take:

2-3 polos (wear 1 on boarding day)

2-3 tshirts

1 pair khaki shorts (wear on boarding day)

1-2 swimming shorts

1 pair jeans

1 pair dress pants

1-2 dress shirts

1 pair tennis shoes (wear on boarding day)

1 pair dress shoes

1 pair sandals (in backpack)

1 toiletry bag (in backpack)

The biggest space hog is shoes. I have big feet and my shoes take up a lot of space. I will also have a backpack that some of that can go in.

If you do it in August, you might be able to swing it -- being warm, you could travel light. In October, in northern Italy, you will need warmer clothes.

The point is: why? Do you really want to spend half your evenings washing clothes, and half your mornings trying to decide which of three mix-and-match combos to pick.

Enjoying the cruise, and having comfortable and appropriate clothes for traveling in northern Italy might be worth the hassle of bringing enough.

You're right about more than a carry on being a nightmare in Venice! Hauling 2 suitcases over the bridges is not fun!:mad: As much as I have tried, I'm unable to pack only in a carry on. I need a magnifying mirror for make up, we like to take at least one pair of binoculars, I sleep to a dvd player (I know, weird), I have to have my kindle, etc. DH puts his cpap, laptop and the camera equip in his carry on. So we both end up with a carry-on and a 25" bag. Next big cruise is to the North Cape and Norway, so I know I'll need a bigger bag for warm clothes. My next goal is to do a carry on each and then SHARE a 25" bag. Keeping fingers crossed.

PS: If I was going to the Caribbean I could definitely do with just a carry-on! :)

It's up to you what you should do. I definitly would not suggest carrying everything on with you. I know, you said you would put everything in a carry on, but It really just depends on how much you are bringing on the ship with you. In my oppinion, I wouldn't want to be having to carry everything on with me and around the ship while I waited for my cabin to be cleaned and ready for me to use.

Hauling 2 suitcases over the bridges is not fun!:mad:

Backpacks :D

DH can't do stairs carrying a suitcase thus we travel with 70 liter hiking backpaks. Ideal for us, as he can carry his luggage without any problems, we don't have to worry about coblestone streets or stairs or steps or busses. Plus, free hands for coffee. ;)

Of course, carrying your luggage on your back is not ideal for everybody but for us we have found it to be a perfect solution. Especially for badly planed mideval European cities as our hometown.

In the past I have overpacked for every cruise I have been on, which is strange because I have never overpacked for any other type of vacation. For my next cruise my goal is to pack one bag, hopefully a carry-on with all my things. I think I can do it if I take:

2-3 polos (wear 1 on boarding day)

2-3 tshirts

1 pair khaki shorts (wear on boarding day)

1-2 swimming shorts

1 pair jeans

1 pair dress pants

1-2 dress shirts

1 pair tennis shoes (wear on boarding day)

1 pair dress shoes

1 pair sandals (in backpack)

1 toiletry bag (in backpack)

The biggest space hog is shoes. I have big feet and my shoes take up a lot of space. I will also have a backpack that some of that can go in.

No jacket/windbreaker/sweater/sweatshirt?

No underwear or socks?

Nothing to wear with your swim shorts when walking around the ship or going to the beach?

One pair of pants for every night? No changes in case of soil/spill?

No personal items at all? A book?

Hats off to you.

I won't pretend to even try. :D

It's up to you what you should do. I definitly would not suggest carrying everything on with you. I know, you said you would put everything in a carry on, but It really just depends on how much you are bringing on the ship with you. In my oppinion, I wouldn't want to be having to carry everything on with me and around the ship while I waited for my cabin to be cleaned and ready for me to use.

On every cruise we have taken, we checked our bags in when we checked in for the cruise and they were delivered to our room. We have never had to carry anything other than our camera and purse/wallet around with us as we strolled around the ship. We usually check in early, have lunch, and relax, and our room is ready by late afternoon.

I don't think the issue is luggage on the ship - its having enough proper clothes for a cruise while packing light enough for the land part of the trip. It sohuld not be a problem taking checked size luggage if they 'stay put' in one city. It is a hassle when moving from one city to another.

We only cruise on Princess and they won't begin embarkation until the rooms are ready, so lugging it around the ship is not an issue. :)

I did use a backpack to do Europe by rail when our kids were younger (teens), but frankly, I need more now than I did then! ;) I could see without glasses (or the extra pair of glasses and magnifying mirror), I didn't need anything more than mascara and a tube of lip gloss, didn't mind wearing jeans for days in a row, we didn't have the nice camera equipment that we do now, etc. I think that's why we like cruising. We can bring the things we want and only unpack it once!:D

On every cruise we have taken, we checked our bags in when we checked in for the cruise and they were delivered to our room. We have never had to carry anything other than our camera and purse/wallet around with us as we strolled around the ship. We usually check in early, have lunch, and relax, and our room is ready by late afternoon.

The point here is that if EVERYTHING is in carry-on, you would not want to check your bag when you checked in. You would have kept essentials such as meds, plus at least one change of clothes with you, in case checked bags got delayed-- meaning you would be hauling.

No jacket/windbreaker/sweater/sweatshirt?

No underwear or socks?

Nothing to wear with your swim shorts when walking around the ship or going to the beach?

One pair of pants for every night? No changes in case of soil/spill?

No personal items at all? A book?

Hats off to you.

I won't pretend to even try. :D

And this wardrobe might have to suffice in Northern Italy --- in October?

Not to mention spending much of the cruise in the same clothes, doing laundry many nights. Sure, it "can be done" , but is traveling light the most important aspect of a trip to, and around, the Mediterranean?

Archived