Sunpass-Only Toll Roads?

bottomfeeder

Is there a website anywhere that lists the roads/sections of roads where only a pass, and not cash, is accepted? I'm specifically looking in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area, as I'll be driving in from Ft. Myers area in a rental car for my cruise that leaves from Pt. Everglades, and don't want to pay the outrageous rental car company fees for a Sunpass if I don't need to! Thanks!

Is there a website anywhere that lists the roads/sections of roads where only a pass, and not cash, is accepted? I'm specifically looking in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area, as I'll be driving in from Ft. Myers area in a rental car for my cruise that leaves from Pt. Everglades, and don't want to pay the outrageous rental car company fees for a Sunpass if I don't need to! Thanks!

Have you tried their web site: https://www.sunpass.com/index?

Hi-

My advice is that the SunPass is totally worth it! You do not need to go through the rental company. You can go to a local Walgreens, CVS or Publix and pick up the transformer (which is a sticker) for $4.99, then when you activate it you get a credit for the $4.99. The lines in the self pay line sometimes will take you 15-20m and that is not during rush hour.

Hi-

My advice is that the SunPass is totally worth it! You do not need to go through the rental company. You can go to a local Walgreens, CVS or Publix and pick up the transformer (which is a sticker) for $4.99, then when you activate it you get a credit for the $4.99. The lines in the self pay line sometimes will take you 15-20m and that is not during rush hour.

Yeah, I'm planning to get one now that I live in Florida. But I will have a rental car and not my car for this drive to Ft. Lauderdale, so the sticker wouldn't help me. Sounds like I don't need it though for this trip--and I'll be driving over on a Saturday morning so there shouldn't be huge lines for the Alligator Alley toll.

I was just concerned because when I drove back from Miami after my last cruise I inadvertently went on a "cash-free" road and I didn't want to repeat that.

And thanks for pointing out that they DO have a map of this on the Sunpass site--not sure how I missed it before!

the 4.99 credit on purchase of a sp-mini was a promotion when the mini first came out. I don't believe it applies any more. there's nothing on the Sunpass web site saying you get the credit any more.

the mini sticks to the glass and is 'destroyed' when removed (you can get any remaining balance refunded)

the larger unit can be moved from vehicle to vehicle . . .

Hi-

I think the OP plans to be here a short time so buying a Sunpass for a one time use isn't necessary ... and I have lived here in South Florida for 13 years and never once waited more then 1 or 2 minutes to pay a toll.

If traveling in Miami on Turnpike you will need sunpass. I haven't lived in MIA for 3 years, but I know they are/have phased out the humans working the toll booths.

Otherwise only on Alligator Alley would there be a toll.

careful .... the turnpike changed but the other toll roads around Minmi didn't

what locals call 'the turnpike extension' which runs from the Broward/Dade line, west of Miami, to Florida City at the head of the Keys IS all electronic. Other toll bits are still cash or electrons . . .

see http://www.floridasturnpike.com/all-electronictolling/

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/all-electronictolling/ESP/AllElectronicTollingMap.pdf

you'll notice this map shows MANY toll roads in the Miami area that are NOT electron only

That is correct ... you won't be on any sunpass only toll roads

Again. Cash accepted on I-75 from Ft. Myers to PTE. Please read the OP's question, they are travelling from Fort Myers to Port Everglades. We have done this too many times to count. No Sunpass required!!!!

the 4.99 credit on purchase of a sp-mini was a promotion when the mini first came out. I don't believe it applies any more. there's nothing on the Sunpass web site saying you get the credit any more.

the mini sticks to the glass and is 'destroyed' when removed (you can get any remaining balance refunded)

the larger unit can be moved from vehicle to vehicle . . .

You are correct that the 4.99 credit was a promotion when the stickers first came out and it is no longer available to those who purchase the SunPass sticker. Furthermore you are correct that the sticker is destroyed when you remove it and the larger units which are about 20 dollars are movable, but you do need to update your account with SunPass when you move the SunPass from car to car. We discovered this the hard way once, thankfully the rental company and SunPass were nice about all of the confusion and we were refunded the money the rental company had charged for using their SunPass when we also used another large unit SunPass but were unaware of having to tell SunPass we changed vehicles.

Archived