Cruising with friends

Hubby and I have been planning a short 3 night cruise for later this Summer and invited our good friends to join us. They seem excited and have never cruised before and we get along great (they even stayed with us for a week while moving). They are very laid back and don't mind me taking the reins for planning (my favorite!) and getting everything together.

We have never cruised with anyone before, it's just usually the two of us and we meet people onboard so I'm a little unsure of how to plan and cruise with friends!

What's different about cruising with friends versus just your spouse or normal cruising partner? Is it rude to not want to get connecting cabins? Do we plan excursions with them or just book what we want and extend the invite? Is there a 'cruising with friends' guidebook!? Am I worrying too much!?

I want them to have a great time on their first cruise and I want the hubs and I to have just as good of time. Any pointers or things to keep in mind?

I know I'm being a worry wart but some advice, comments, or recommendations will bring me peace of mind while I plan. Thanks in advance!

A three day cruise, well unless its foreign, it sounds like you are heading for the Bahamas (cococay and Nassau???). You sound like you know them well, and if they have money for excursions, do they like the beach or shopping, etc). What I did recently when cruising with non cruise friends for the first time to Cozumel where I have done just about every excursion. I sent them information on the beach day AI, a snorkling trip, described the shopping district and explained about the Bar Hop and that its not just a drinking thing but they'd see the many sides of the pretty island and that was what I recommended (so we wouldn't be bored). Everyone agreed for me to take the lead and we had the greatest time ever. But I would have been happy to do whatever. We were four single women, so I think thats even harder than one other couple. But I would have done whatever they chose since I had invited them to try crusise. They all booked again on an upcoming cruise. :cool:

We have almost always cruised with a large group of friends (4-5 other couples) . We have astanding rule. No one is joined at the hip. If there is something we all want to do great. if some want to do this and others want to do that that is great too. We get two large tables together at dinner and meet everynight there , and usually all go to the show together , but then again that is subject to change too.

Sometimes the women go one way and the guys do something else.

Go with the flow and enjoy :)

Hi! Super that your friends can join you! In answer to you question, I can only tell you how my friends/family handle this.

If we're sailing with someone who'se cruised before, we agree to have supper together in the evenings, but the rest of the day is go-your-own-way. If paths cross, that's great, and if not...see ya later at supper!.

If it's new cruisers, we give them lots of pre-cruise information and familiarize them with the ship before we ever sail. Then once on board, we set them free to roam around at will, but again getting together for supper. We do, however, plan excursions and other activities off the ship together because that part of cruising for a newbiew can be intimidating. If they get lost on the ship, no problem, but if they get lost or have a problem getting back to the ship, we all have prroblems.

We enjoy our adventures apart because we have great stories to tell over a relaxing supper. And we enjoy a bit of time doing other things together because it gives us such great memories to share when we get home.

I guess you'll have to base your plans on just how seasoned of vacationers your friends are...and go from there. Whatever you do, have fun and enjoy your cruise!:)

Hubby and I have been planning a short 3 night cruise for later this Summer and invited our good friends to join us. They seem excited and have never cruised before and we get along great (they even stayed with us for a week while moving). They are very laid back and don't mind me taking the reins for planning (my favorite!) and getting everything together.

We have never cruised with anyone before, it's just usually the two of us and we meet people onboard so I'm a little unsure of how to plan and cruise with friends!

What's different about cruising with friends versus just your spouse or normal cruising partner? Is it rude to not want to get connecting cabins? Do we plan excursions with them or just book what we want and extend the invite? Is there a 'cruising with friends' guidebook!? Am I worrying too much!?

I want them to have a great time on their first cruise and I want the hubs and I to have just as good of time. Any pointers or things to keep in mind?

I know I'm being a worry wart but some advice, comments, or recommendations will bring me peace of mind while I plan. Thanks in advance!

You have some very good concerns. I have been on cruises with friends and relatives. Ordinarily I would NOT get connecting cabins. Everyone needs their privacy and space. For a short, 3-night cruise though, perhaps connecting cabins may actually be a good idea to save time calling or trying to find them.

I would however, have a frank discussion about activities. Being newbies, they might be inclined to tag along with you - everywhere. But you have to be alright with that. Honestly for three days, that is no big deal.

Perhaps instead, they like to do their own thing and everyone only meets up here & there and for dinner to rehash the day. But they should understand that if they do not want to do the same things as you, it is alright and they need to speak up and say that. If they really wanted to do their own thing but thought they needed to hang with you, they are no more than having your vacation not theirs.

Hope that helps. In the end, I guarantee they will be hooked and you will be traveling again and again :D

~Bob~

Well, we jumped right into this with our first, and upcoming in a week, cruise. We are going with another couple and all 4 of us have never cruised. We booked cabins 7 doors apart, booked one excursion together for an AI beach, and from then on, we are just doing shore activities on the fly. It was too hard to find something, book it, and then get them to call in a nd book the same thing. More shopping, eating, drinking, and sightseeing on shore than anything for us all. We will do things on the ship together and apart for sure.

A three day cruise, well unless its foreign, it sounds like you are heading for the Bahamas (cococay and Nassau???). You sound like you know them well, and if they have money for excursions, do they like the beach or shopping, etc). What I did recently when cruising with non cruise friends for the first time to Cozumel where I have done just about every excursion. I sent them information on the beach day AI, a snorkling trip, described the shopping district and explained about the Bar Hop and that its not just a drinking thing but they'd see the many sides of the pretty island and that was what I recommended (so we wouldn't be bored). Everyone agreed for me to take the lead and we had the greatest time ever. But I would have been happy to do whatever. We were four single women, so I think thats even harder than one other couple. But I would have done whatever they chose since I had invited them to try crusise. They all booked again on an upcoming cruise. :cool:

Yes, it's to the Bahamas (CocoCay and Nassau). I like the idea of giving them ideas and letting them know you're recommendation. Unfortunately, we've never been to CocoCay and were only off the ship for a couple hours in Nassau but I'll read up on the boards to get info about each port.

Thanks!

We have almost always cruised with a large group of friends (4-5 other couples) . We have astanding rule. No one is joined at the hip. If there is something we all want to do great. if some want to do this and others want to do that that is great too. We get two large tables together at dinner and meet everynight there , and usually all go to the show together , but then again that is subject to change too.

Sometimes the women go one way and the guys do something else.

Go with the flow and enjoy :)

That's a good rule! I think getting a table for 4 at dinner would be a great idea, especially if we end up doing different things during the day! Thanks!

As everyone says, feel them out as to what will work best, we always travel with friends and inlaws, it works out well. If they want to go off fine, see you at dinner and if we stick together fine. Do the shows together and roam the ship before it sails together. Just make sure if you book anything your reservations are linked so you are together and that includes dining. Go have a great time.

Hi! Super that your friends can join you! In answer to you question, I can only tell you how my friends/family handle this.

If we're sailing with someone who'se cruised before, we agree to have supper together in the evenings, but the rest of the day is go-your-own-way. If paths cross, that's great, and if not...see ya later at supper!.

If it's new cruisers, we give them lots of pre-cruise information and familiarize them with the ship before we ever sail. Then once on board, we set them free to roam around at will, but again getting together for supper. We do, however, plan excursions and other activities off the ship together because that part of cruising for a newbiew can be intimidating. If they get lost on the ship, no problem, but if they get lost or have a problem getting back to the ship, we all have prroblems.

We enjoy our adventures apart because we have great stories to tell over a relaxing supper. And we enjoy a bit of time doing other things together because it gives us such great memories to share when we get home.

I guess you'll have to base your plans on just how seasoned of vacationers your friends are...and go from there. Whatever you do, have fun and enjoy your cruise!:)

That is very true - I was terrified of being left on our first cruise! They're not travelers/vacationers so we may have to plan on sticking together (or nearby) off the ship.

You have some very good concerns. I have been on cruises with friends and relatives. Ordinarily I would NOT get connecting cabins. Everyone needs their privacy and space. For a short, 3-night cruise though, perhaps connecting cabins may actually be a good idea to save time calling or trying to find them.

I would however, have a frank discussion about activities. Being newbies, they might be inclined to tag along with you - everywhere. But you have to be alright with that. Honestly for three days, that is no big deal.

Perhaps instead, they like to do their own thing and everyone only meets up here & there and for dinner to rehash the day. But they should understand that if they do not want to do the same things as you, it is alright and they need to speak up and say that. If they really wanted to do their own thing but thought they needed to hang with you, they are no more than having your vacation not theirs.

Hope that helps. In the end, I guarantee they will be hooked and you will be traveling again and again :D

~Bob~

Like you said, it's 3 days, so if they do tag along, it won't be too much!! Thanks for the info and advice!

As everyone says, feel them out as to what will work best, we always travel with friends and inlaws, it works out well. If they want to go off fine, see you at dinner and if we stick together fine. Do the shows together and roam the ship before it sails together. Just make sure if you book anything your reservations are linked so you are together and that includes dining. Go have a great time.

You are brave traveling with your in-laws!! Good tip about booking things together! They'll probably go through our travel agent/friend so we can make sure that happens.

Well, we jumped right into this with our first, and upcoming in a week, cruise. We are going with another couple and all 4 of us have never cruised. We booked cabins 7 doors apart, booked one excursion together for an AI beach, and from then on, we are just doing shore activities on the fly. It was too hard to find something, book it, and then get them to call in a nd book the same thing. More shopping, eating, drinking, and sightseeing on shore than anything for us all. We will do things on the ship together and apart for sure.

I think cabins a few doors apart are smart, that way you're still close but you can get away for some quiet time. Have a great time!

Also, how do you communicate?

I'd rather not turn our phones on, it's such a distraction (and I LOVE that people cannot call me on my vacation)!

NO walkie talkies either - those are satan's toys on cruise ships. Drive me crazy.

Do you just do notes on the door?

It will be on the Enchantment of the Seas so I feel like we'd run into them just going about our business.

Cruising with friends is really fun. We have done it a few times on 7 day trips. Theres was one trip that we didnt see the other couple for 2 days except for dinner in the MDR. We usually attend the shows together and go our seperate ways when someone else wants to do different things excursions, flowrider, cupcake making etc.... You will have a great time. Just dont overcrowd each other

We have some friends we would go away with and have done many times and others that even though they are friends we know going on holiday wouldn't work.

We have just come back from the adventure last week with 2 of our friends who haven't cruised before. I am an organiser and usually pre book our independent excursions before we go. This time we didn't book anything but wrote down suggestions for each port.

We then got together at 5pm each day in promenade cafe to plan what we wanted to do. Everyone's opinion was taken and we did some things that each one of us were scared of like sea trek under sea, snorkelling and horse riding. We all got over our fears and had a brilliant time.

We had balcony cabins next to each other but said if they wanted to meet for breakfast we would go between such a time (because we planned to go off at a certain time). On the days when we didn't do anything it was just left that we would meet up whenever- they knew where we usually sat in adult area but if they wanted to come they could but they were free to do their own thing.

We had a table for 4 and ate together every night - we had a fantastic holiday and have already spoken about our next one next August.

I'd rather not turn our phones on, it's such a distraction (and I LOVE that people cannot call me on my vacation)!

NO walkie talkies either - those are satan's toys on cruise ships. Drive me crazy.

It will be on the Enchantment of the Seas so I feel like we'd run into them just going about our business.

We just sailed with our in-laws. This being only their second cruise and the first over 20 years ago. We called or stopped by their room or slid a note under the door. No cell phones. We were deep in the Caribbean and would be roaming.

We got to know their usual spots on the deck and in the Windjammer.

Have to agree with you too, no walkie-talkies ever on a cruise Might as well just wear hand cuffs!

~Bob~

we put a white board on our door. The room steward often uses it too.

Cindy I am terrible with words. You said it much better than me. LOL

~Bob~

Thanks!:)

To the OP - you can each leave messages on your phones...you can check for messages when you're in your room or from any of the "house" phones on the ship.

CocoCay is a great place for new cruisers! Not too big and intimidating. If your friends decide to check out the island by themselves, just remind them to watch the time so they aren't on the far end of the island when it's time to go back to the ship. I always try to return to the ship before the last shuttle, just so I'll be onboard when the ship sails!

Pre-cruise, provide your friends with the deck plans for your ship. Show them where things are...restrooms, free food venues, interesting nooks and crannies, etc. That way they'll have a bit of a footprint to follow when they aren't with you!

I love to be there when newbies first step onboard their first cruise ship. Their oohs and ahs are some of my best memories!

We've done it both ways: did everything with the friends (it ruined our friendship in the end) and also just met up for dinner and an occasional off ship excursion. In my opinion, doing your own thing, making your own plans and meeting up for dinner works best for us! That doesn't mean that we don't hook up on the ship though too.

We've done it both ways: did everything with the friends (it ruined our friendship in the end) and also just met up for dinner and an occasional off ship excursion. In my opinion, doing your own thing, making your own plans and meeting up for dinner works best for us! That doesn't mean that we don't hook up on the ship though too.

I wasn't sure if vacationing with friends was similar to living with your best friend - which has disastrous results - so I'm glad to hear most cruisers still have good relationships with their friends! Dinner together sounds like a must.

Cruising with friends is really fun. We have done it a few times on 7 day trips. Theres was one trip that we didnt see the other couple for 2 days except for dinner in the MDR. We usually attend the shows together and go our seperate ways when someone else wants to do different things excursions, flowrider, cupcake making etc.... You will have a great time. Just dont overcrowd each other

Agreed. We really enjoy hanging out with them so maybe one day, if this cruise goes well, we can do 7 nights or more together. That would be fun!

We just sailed with our in-laws. This being only their second cruise and the first over 20 years ago. We called or stopped by their room or slid a note under the door. No cell phones. We were deep in the Caribbean and would be roaming.

We got to know their usual spots on the deck and in the Windjammer.

Have to agree with you too, no walkie-talkies ever on a cruise Might as well just wear hand cuffs!

~Bob~

We'd probably run into them at the pool or anywhere with food (the guys can EAT!)!

Thanks!:)

To the OP - you can each leave messages on your phones...you can check for messages when you're in your room or from any of the "house" phones on the ship.

CocoCay is a great place for new cruisers! Not too big and intimidating. If your friends decide to check out the island by themselves, just remind them to watch the time so they aren't on the far end of the island when it's time to go back to the ship. I always try to return to the ship before the last shuttle, just so I'll be onboard when the ship sails!

Pre-cruise, provide your friends with the deck plans for your ship. Show them where things are...restrooms, free food venues, interesting nooks and crannies, etc. That way they'll have a bit of a footprint to follow when they aren't with you!

I love to be there when newbies first step onboard their first cruise ship. Their oohs and ahs are some of my best memories!

Great ideas, especially for CocoCay! Thanks! I always forget about the in-room phones!

Archived