Sanctuary and yeechy weather

Blamar

We were on the Golden Princess a couple of years ago and economics suggest that we don't buy the Sanctuary pass which was not a big deal since the weather on the crossing days was pretty bad and it wouldn't be the most comfortable place to be. So here we are booked for the Golden Princess again going to Alaska in May and I was wondering should we go for it and try the Sanctuary or again take a pass.

The weather for the early Alaska trips is pretty iffy but can also be pretty nice.

While it might be nice on land, chances are it'll be pretty chilly as the ship is sailing or cruising the glaciers. Even in early August when temps on land were in the 70's, I found it way too cold to hang out on my balcony for more than a little while. I don't think I'd book for the whole cruise but maybe go up and book for a few afternoons. They'll have blankets for you to use but except for the Coral/Island, the Sanctuary isn't very protected from the wind.

I've had week-long passes in the Sanctuary on two Alaska cruises and would say it's a gamble with the weather so you should read the patters for the next day's forecast and get up there at 8.am to make a booking that you will use and enjoy. I had 5 days of huddling under a blanket on the Coral watching the drizzle fall (still better than being at work) then two days of 70 to 80 degree sunshine on an August sailing.

Norris

Sanctuary Lover

I've had week-long passes in the Sanctuary on two Alaska cruises and would say it's a gamble with the weather so you should read the patters for the next day's forecast and get up there at 8.am to make a booking that you will use and enjoy. I had 5 days of huddling under a blanket on the Coral watching the drizzle fall (still better than being at work) then two days of 70 to 80 degree sunshine on an August sailing.
Norris, the Sanctuary on the Coral is aft and somewhat protected from wind and rain, particularly on the Lido deck under the overhang. On the Golden, it's forward with no overhang and just a windbreak at the front to protect you and some canvas covering.

When I was on the Island last October, I asked the attendants where the most protected area of the Sanctuary on the Grand class ships was. Without hesitation, they said: directly behind the windbreak.

Archived