Aboard AMACello now (Rhine 4/12-19)

MarkBearSF

Thanks Mark, that is exactly the info we needed! Looking forward to hearing more! BTW, are the wonderful sounding bike tours being offered on your cruise? Peacemkr59 said that on her cruise last week they were not available. We went online and signed up for two, so just curious what is happening this week. Thanks again and hoping for great weather (and tour guides) for the rest of your trip!

Leslie

Yes, bikes are available. Today, there was a bike tour and I think that the full contingent of 20 bikes was filled.

So was your tour before or after dinner? That may be the difference in that we left from Basel going north. Did you have clear weather for the castles? We had a cold and rainy day where most people stayed in the lounge to see them!

Our tour was after dinner (as a matter of fact, we got in a little late) So, our tour was at 9:00. Weather was FANTASTIC for the castles.

WOW. Simply wow.

The Rhine Gorge was amazing. Truly beautiful and one of those lifetime experiences.

Adding to that, after the first hour (when it was very chilly) it was warm and sunny - in the 60s, so we were up top on the Sun Deck. I cannot use enough superlatives for the experience. About every 20 minutes, I looked around and thought to myself how lucky I am to be able to experience this.

On last week's cruise, 4/5-4/13/2013, the "evening" walk in Koblez was an afternoon walk before dinner and it felt rushed as we had to be back in time for dinner. Also, last week there were no scheduled bikes tours as were described in the brochure. When I inquired about this, I was told that they generally do not do the bike tours this early in the season because there usually is no interest as the weather is quite cold. We took bikes out in Strasbourg as it was a beautiful day and there is a very nice bike path right along the river!! We saw many of our fellow passengers do the same thing that day!

Hmmm, about the afternoon "evening" walk, that makes no sense, does it?! LOL I would go back out after dinner if I felt up to it - I think. We'll see what happens onthe week we go.

I wonder what happens if you sign up ahead for a biking tour, then? I would actual prefer to do biking on my own, as I said, so what you mentioned sounds great. Here's hoping for some good weather when we're there.

Perhaps the most common phrase we heard was "it's too dark to see now, but if you come back you can see..." I don't think anyone stayed out tonight, even though the ship is docked all night right next to the old town and the weather was great.

I may be cranky because my allergies really flared up today (darn linden trees!) but this experience was eminently skippable.

First, so sorry to hear about the allergy flare up - I can relate.

I am surprised by it being too dark. What time is the sun setting? I thought it'd be staying light out pretty late at this point. That is a shame no matter what. I wonder in 2 weeks how much it'll have changed. Maybe I should bring a head flashlight. :D

It is good to hear you had such great weather.....hope it continues for you.

I wonder what happens if you sign up ahead for a biking tour, then? I would actual prefer to do biking on my own, as I said, so what you mentioned sounds great. Here's hoping for some good weather when we're there.

They say that if you want to do an independent bike excursion, they'll work with you to plan it.

When you board, you're given forms to select the non-capacity restricted tours - to be returned the next day. In addition to the standard tours on the form. there are sign up sheets at the front desk for the bike tours as well as the culinary delights and cultural tours. It was a bit confusing at first that not all of the tour options in the booklet were listed on the forms. ...but it all works out fine.

We did the gondola tour before dinner (alternative was a wine vineyard tour - since we live an hour from Napa, not a big deal for us) It was a nice little excursion with some great views.

After dinner, we went to Sigfried's Musical Kabinett tour (alternative was Rudesheim coffee). A nice little tour with some fascinating devices. Afterwards, we stopped by a cafe for beers.

They provide a little shuttle choo-choo to the tours and back. We took the pleasant little 10 minute walk back to the ship after both of our excursions rather than wait for the shuttle.

We did the gondola tour before dinner (alternative was a wine vineyard tour - since we live an hour from Napa, not a big deal for us) It was a nice little excursion with some great views.

After dinner, we went to Sigfried's Musical Kabinett tour (alternative was Rudesheim coffee). A nice little tour with some fascinating devices. Afterwards, we stopped by a cafe for beers.

They provide a little shuttle choo-choo to the tours and back. We took the pleasant little 10 minute walk back to the ship after both of our excursions rather than wait for the shuttle.

These all sound great and the ones we have planned on taking. I love the idea of walking back on our own. Thanks for sharing that.

WOW. Simply wow.

The Rhine Gorge was amazing. Truly beautiful and one of those lifetime experiences.

Adding to that, after the first hour (when it was very chilly) it was warm and sunny - in the 60s, so we were up top on the Sun Deck. I cannot use enough superlatives for the experience. About every 20 minutes, I looked around and thought to myself how lucky I am to be able to experience this.

So glad to hear this!! Looks like spring has arrived!

Took the tour of Heidelberg today.

Pleasant trip. About 75 minute bus trip to Heidelberg. 90 minute walking tour of the castle, funicular back down and walk around the town square. Nothing of note about the tour. As always, our Cruise Manager, Christian, kept everything running smoothly, monitoring the tour groups as we walked around town. You are left on your own for about another 75 minutes. Since the weather was pleasant, we stopped at a cafe on the square for lunch (jagerschnitzel and beer). I also took the time to pick up a souvenir of Heidelberg - a box of allergy medicine.

Alternatives were a bike tour and a walking tour of Speyer.

Just got back from the Strasbourg tours. A truly charming and beautiful city.

The basic tours are a walking tour in the morning and a canal tour in the afternoon. You have the option to take the bus back to the ship for lunch in-between or to stay in town and eat at one of the wonderful cafes/restaurants from 11:45-ish to 2:30. We chose to stay. Lunch was tres bien! (Recall, Strasbourg is in Alsace, part of France)

If you are planning on staying in town, they simply ask that you let them know to help them plan their lunch servings - there was a sign-up sheet at the front desk starting at yesterday afternoon.

There was also a bike option today.

Just got back from the Strasbourg tours. A truly charming and beautiful city.

The basic tours are a walking tour in the morning and a canal tour in the afternoon. You have the option to take the bus back to the ship for lunch in-between or to stay in town and eat at one of the wonderful cafes/restaurants from 11:45-ish to 2:30. We chose to stay. Lunch was tres bien! (Recall, Strasbourg is in Alsace, part of France)

If you are planning on staying in town, they simply ask that you let them know to help them plan their lunch servings - there was a sign-up sheet at the front desk starting at yesterday afternoon.

There was also a bike option today.

Mark, thanks for all your comments about the Heidelberg tour and Strasbourg....I am getting so excited about our trip! I am particularly fond of France, so am looking forward to spending the in-town time allotted. :-D

Mark, thanks for all your comments about the Heidelberg tour and Strasbourg....I am getting so excited about our trip! I am particularly fond of France, so am looking forward to spending the in-town time allotted. :-D

A little more info...

- There are serious, non-tourist shops in the center of Strasbourg, including a large Galleries Lafayette department store. ...and many, many patisseries. Lots of ways to spend your time during the day.

- Talked to someone who took the bike tour and raved about it.

- This is a city of big, white birds. There's a flock of possibly 100 swans in the canal around the port. You can feed the swans from your cabin - assuming you have a french balcony. Also, storks are welcomed by the city and on the bus to the center city we saw a street with huge stork nests in the oriental sycamore trees along the street. Both are interesting sights.

Like you, we're francophiles. We felt right at home.

A little more info...

- There are serious, non-tourist shops in the center of Strasbourg, including a large Galleries Lafayette department store. ...and many, many patisseries. Lots of ways to spend your time during the day.

- Talked to someone who took the bike tour and raved about it.

- This is a city of big, white birds. There's a flock of possibly 100 swans in the canal around the port. You can feed the swans from your cabin - assuming you have a french balcony. Also, storks are welcomed by the city and on the bus to the center city we saw a street with huge stork nests in the oriental sycamore trees along the street. Both are interesting sights.

Like you, we're francophiles. We felt right at home.

It sounds like you are really enjoying the cruise. I'm happy for you. Did the allergy medicine help?

Looking forward to hearing about your next adventure. ;-D

We took the so-called black forest tour to Freiburg. I think the city name must be German for "meh" I don't know if my dissatisfaction was due to the fact that it pales in comparison to Strasbourg, or a factor of our own misplaced expectations. (We were somehow expecting something with leiderhosen and cuckoo clocks) Instead, the city was mostly new and nothing special. Guess what? It contains an old church.

The alternative was a trip to Colmar. I've gotta' believe it was more interesting.

We took the so-called black forest tour to Freiburg. I think the city name must be German for "meh" .......

I have heard similar sentiments regarding this tour, but it seems like all the river cruises offer it. We had not planned on doing it because of so many disappointing comments from others.

I hope the next tour is a better one.

Colmar was a wonderful walking trip through a very old city. It was one in which I could not stop taking pictures of old buildings and listeneing to the history of the town. Along our walking route, we must have stopped in every sweet shop for some yummy cookies. As in all historic towns, there was a massive church. Living on a spire was a heron family - biggest nest I've ever seen!

I don't think I've ever seen so many swans on a river. One morning at breakfast I was sitting next to the window and there was a couple dozen swans almost at eye level. Guess they liked what I had in my hand. Later that night I saw some swimming beside the ship and I walked out onto the small balcony opposite reception. I grabbed a few cookies from the lounge and before long, every swan within a km. was in front of me. So, I got rolls & bread from the dining room. This not only attracted more swans, it also attracted fellow pax and the captain! Needless to say, we spent close to an hour feeding the swans and taking pictures. Got to remember, AMA's log is a swan.

After taking this river cruise, I told DH that I have outgrown Caribbean cruises and really want to do more trips through Europe on the rivers.

Darcy

Check out went very smoothly.

- If you are on an AMA extension or transfer, everything was arranged. If you were doing independent travel there is a sign-up sheet @ the front desk for taxis (they arrange).

- They request that you vacate the room by 9:00. If you need to wait, you can stay in the lounge until your cab arrives. In fact, that's what I'm doing right now until our cab comes at 11:00. Put your bags in the hall when you're ready to leave your cabin. (Not the night before like on ocean cruises)

- Tips onboard are not pre-charged (not even for drinks in the bar) Suggested tip amts are 12€ per day per person for staff and 3€ for the Cruise Manager (Total suggested tip for 2 on a 7 day cruise = 210€) Tips can be paid in cash or charged to a credit card.

Check out went very smoothly.

- If you are on an AMA extension or transfer, everything was arranged. If you were doing independent travel there is a sign-up sheet @ the front desk for taxis (they arrange).

Great to know. We have nothing prearranged, just need to get to the Basel train to continue our trip.

- Tips onboard are not pre-charged (not even for drinks in the bar) Suggested tip amts are 12€ per day per person for staff and 3€ for the Cruise Manager (Total suggested tip for 2 on a 7 day cruise = 210€) Tips can be paid in cash or charged to a credit card.

Thanks, Mark. A big round of applause from me for all your posts during your vacation. I hope you have a good journey home, or to wherever is next!

A big round of applause from me for all your posts during your vacation. I hope you have a good journey home, or to wherever is next!

Thanks! It was a spectacular trip. I can't recommend it more highly.

Wishing you a great trip as well. We took the train to Paris, where we've met up with friends for 6 days. By the way, the fare from the ship to the central Basel SBB train station was 40 Swiss Francs - you can charge or pay in Euros. (Again, went without a hitch)

Au revior!

Mckendus, if you find another couple heading to Basel SBB, when signing up for a cab, group your names together on the sign up sheet. That way, when they call for a cab, it will be a larger one for the luggage, same base rate and you can split the cost. We did that when we left the boat.

A river cruise experience is so unlike the larger ocean going ships. The atmosphere, service and overall experience cannnot compare. The small pax compliment makes it so much nicer.

Darcy

Mark, thank you so much for posting and giving us an idea about life on the Amacello. We boarded yesterday and I thought I would try to continue with some additonal comments and observations. Embarkation was so easy! Within 5 minutes we were enjoying a beer in the lounge. Dinner last night was really good - we both ordered the roast beef and it was excellent. Free flowing beer and wine as advertised. We had originally signed up for the bike excursion in Breisach for today but it was predicted to be 43 degress and rainy so we switched to Colmar/Riquewihr and it was a great decision. The villages were so charming and our guide, Peter was great. Think Hansel and Gretel and you can imagine these villages locked in time! I will try to continue updating but the internet is the only negative I can say about the boat so far. Our ipads and iphones do not get the wifi signal consistently so I am having to post this from the computer/tv in my room. Not a huge deal but be warned that if you want to keep up with work email, as I wanted to do, you should buy a cellular data plan. I am not a techie, but there are also some Apple apps that do not seem to be supported by the wifi system, like Viber, the app store, etc. The staff has been working ith us to find some solutions and I will report the progress. But still enjoying myself so much!!

Leslie

Mckendus, if you find another couple heading to Basel SBB, when signing up for a cab, group your names together on the sign up sheet. That way, when they call for a cab, it will be a larger one for the luggage, same base rate and you can split the cost. We did that when we left the boat.

Darcy

Hi Darcy..........thanks for this invaluable information. Is taxi the only option to get to the Basel train station?

Mark, thank you so much for posting and giving us an idea about life on the Amacello. We boarded yesterday and I thought I would try to continue with some additonal comments and observations.

Leslie

This is wonderful, thanks for doing that Leslie!

I have understood that internet on river cruises is not all that great, but then I have no reason to be needing it. If I can I'll try to continue adding my observations when we get on in AMS next week. I will only have an iphone though.

Good luck with the internet situation - maybe someone wants you to really be on vacation. ;-D

Archived