Aboard AMACello now (Rhine 4/12-19)

MarkBearSF

Mckendus, there's a tram, BUT, you have to walk a few blocks with luggage, to catch it, have Swiss coins, etc. It was a consideration at one time, but having done the cab and realizing it's not a 5-minute trip, take the cab.

When you have the AMA package in hand, look over the tour suggestions, do a little more research, and once on the boat, finalize your decision. On our trip, some people skipped tours and did their own thing. We took the bikes for a short ride on our own after returning from a tour.

From AMS to about the start of the French/German border, Rhine Gorge, the internet was pretty good. After that, tall mountains and the issue of whose cell tower picks up the signal is an ongoing problem for river boats. There's a keyboard in every room, so you can long on daily with the password provided and the TV is your monitor. If you need to print anything, [tickets, etc.], reception will take of this for you. At least it's free, not like big cruise $hip$.

Darcy

Mckendus, there's a tram, BUT, you have to walk a few blocks with luggage, to catch it, have Swiss coins, etc. It was a consideration at one time, but having done the cab and realizing it's not a 5-minute trip, take the cab.

When you have the AMA package in hand, look over the tour suggestions, do a little more research, and once on the boat, finalize your decision. On our trip, some people skipped tours and did their own thing. We took the bikes for a short ride on our own after returning from a tour.

Darcy

Thanks again Darcy. I appreciate the info for the situation in Basel.

My dh and I have made our choices already and know what we want to do and have done a lot of research. We'll be open also to changes if need be.

I hope to take advantage of those bikes at some point, just not a 20 mile ride!

Mark,

Thank you for such great information. We are taking the Amaprima at the end of May and this will be our first river cruise. As we are trying to keep our luggage down to a minimum, how dressy was the Captain's dinner? I am bringing a blue blazer, but was everyone dressed up, or would a blazer and open dress shirt be enough?

While your cruise was different than ours, were the local guides for the ship excursions good? How many people were in each group? I read your comments about the slow walkers, but of the larger groups, how big were they?

I can not express how grateful I am with your comments. We have cruised many many times on large cruise ships, but want to be as prepared as possible for this new adventure.

Thanks again,

Steve

Steve, I was on the cruise prior to Mark and I can tell you that a blazer and open shirt will be fine for the Captain's dinner. I didn't see anyone wearing a tie and I definitely saw others that weren't wearing jackets.

Thanks so much for that information.

Steve

Today we are in Speyer and as I sit in the lounge we are looking at a lovely park, everything so quaint and clean. Yesterday we were in Strasbourg and did the morning bus/walking tour which was very good. Then we did the bike tour which we also enjoyed. Strasbourg was about a 45 minute bike ride from where the boat docked. However, if you are a runner there was a great path right in front of the boat that went through the Orangery Park. If you are an early bird you could squeeze in a run before the busses leave at 9:30. The way the bus tours work, you are assigned a bus that takes you from the boat to the destination. Then the gentle walkers are separated into their own group. We found the "normal" pace to be fine. The pace is more determined by the guide's commentary, as a couple times we were overtaken by the gentle walkers due to more stopping and discussion. But they do make sure the gentle walkers have the least distance to walk and steps to climb.. Strasbourg was beautiful. Do not miss the Church with its Astronomical clock. Ask your guide to explain it before you go off on your own so you understand the symbolism and unique history as you are watching the show.

Dinner was great and the service is wonderful, as is the boat. Enjoying every moment!

Glad to see others have picked up the thread. (We've been busy in Paris)

Yes - very few jackets or ties at any dinner. At the farewell dinner we saw perhaps 6 men in jackets. We didn't pack one (a first for us) and we didn't regret it.

Bon voyage all!

Mark

Yesterday we were in Rudesheim which is a quaint town with the charming Drosselgasse with shops and many places to eat and drink the local wine. We rode the Cablecar to the monumnet which was had beautiful views. It was much colder up there than in the village so bring a sweater if you choose that option. We did some souvenier shopping then met the group for the wine tasting which wa s great! Our guide was the owner of a family run winery and was informative and funny! and the wine was really good. After we walked and ate lunch in town we then made our way back to the boat - an easy thing to do in this town. Then the wonderful castle show! We had perfect weather and the sights were spectatular!

The boat stopped in Koblenz and an evening stroll was offered. It was ok (much of the town was destroyed in the wars so few older buildings remain) but might be a good town to do on your own, as the boat is docked very near the old town. We saw many people jogging along the promenade, so also good for anyone wanting some outdoor excercise. We joined the walking tour, and after dinner went back in town to a nearby lounge and really enjoyed talking to our bar tender, who liked practicing his English and we liked learning more about German culture.

The boat stopped in Koblenz and an evening stroll was offered. It was ok (much of the town was destroyed in the wars so few older buildings remain) but might be a good town to do on your own, as the boat is docked very near the old town. We saw many people jogging along the promenade, so also good for anyone wanting some outdoor excercise. We joined the walking tour, and after dinner went back in town to a nearby lounge and really enjoyed talking to our bar tender, who liked practicing his English and we liked learning more about German culture.

This all sounds great and I'll look forward to being overnight in Koblenz so we can do some things on our own in town if we wish.

We're headed out this afternoon but saw last night's flight was delayed 2 hours because of the FAA furloughs, so I'm expecting the same tonight. At some point our trip really has to start! LOL

Archived