accomodation in sydney cbd for pre cruise nothing too expensive!

am travelling up the night before, myself and 2 children, want to be close to darling harbour/the rocks type area unless anyone can reccomend somewhere else not too far, we want to go to luna park and maybe the aquarium so am hoping to get some accomodation not too expensive with easy transport links to these places, we will then catch a taxi to the ship the morning of the cruise drop bags and go for a walk around till boarding. any ideas please as there are so so many to choose from!

am travelling up the night before, myself and 2 children, want to be close to darling harbour/the rocks type area unless anyone can reccomend somewhere else not too far, we want to go to luna park and maybe the aquarium so am hoping to get some accomodation not too expensive with easy transport links to these places, we will then catch a taxi to the ship the morning of the cruise drop bags and go for a walk around till boarding. any ideas please as there are so so many to choose from!

We stay at the Ibis darling harbour, great location rooms are very small but clean. Location makes up for room size. Great for one night. We are staying 3 nights before our cruise.

First you need to define expensive as "expensive" is very subjective to many people and Sydney prices may be different to what others are used to.

Good luck finding something cheap in Sydney close to the CBD. It would help others if you name a budget per night so others can know where they have stayed and if it is expensive for you or not.

We stayed at the Best Western Stellar downtown. Price was very reasonable for Sydney, room was really big, clean and with a very functional kitchen. Around the corner from IGA, coffee shops, liquor store. It was one block from the free CBD bus. Good choice for us.

You could stay in the harbour, would that be close enough? :)

Cockatoo Island camping/glamping. For $140/night ($155 Friday-Saturday) you get everything you need, just bring yourself (beds, sheets, lantern, everything you need is there). $85/night ($95 Friday-Saturday) gets you something more basic, you gotta bring your own blanket/sleeping bag, pillow, and lantern). $45/night ($50 on Friday) gives you just the site with no equipment (bring your own everything).

Great Harbour views, public transport back to the ship (via Sydney Ferries), etc. There are cabins too, but they're not exactly "cheap". If you do the glamping package, then just do whatever sightseeing you want to do for the day, go to Cockatoo Island that afternoon (or earlier...there's plenty to see on the island, lots of people go there just to look around), sleep, have a relaxing morning, go back to Circular Quay and drop your bags off at the ship, then walk around some more.

Note: If you have a LOT of bags...may not fit in their tents. One or two big suitcases should be doable. Perhaps bring a really small tent and put it up, just for storing the luggage? Shouldn't take too much room in your luggage.

Just a thought. Our two kids LOVED it. We drove down, so we left the cruise luggage in the car and took the camping stuff. Day of cruise, I went back to the car, dropped off the camping stuff and got the cruise luggage. After the cruise I dropped off the cruise luggage and spent the day in the zoo. If you're driving down, that might be the way to do it.

You could stay in the harbour, would that be close enough? :)

Cockatoo Island camping/glamping. For $140/night ($155 Friday-Saturday) you get everything you need, just bring yourself (beds, sheets, lantern, everything you need is there). $85/night ($95 Friday-Saturday) gets you something more basic, you gotta bring your own blanket/sleeping bag, pillow, and lantern). $45/night ($50 on Friday) gives you just the site with no equipment (bring your own everything).

Great Harbour views, public transport back to the ship (via Sydney Ferries), etc. There are cabins too, but they're not exactly "cheap". If you do the glamping package, then just do whatever sightseeing you want to do for the day, go to Cockatoo Island that afternoon (or earlier...there's plenty to see on the island, lots of people go there just to look around), sleep, have a relaxing morning, go back to Circular Quay and drop your bags off at the ship, then walk around some more.

Note: If you have a LOT of bags...may not fit in their tents. One or two big suitcases should be doable. Perhaps bring a really small tent and put it up, just for storing the luggage? Shouldn't take too much room in your luggage.

Just a thought. Our two kids LOVED it. We drove down, so we left the cruise luggage in the car and took the camping stuff. Day of cruise, I went back to the car, dropped off the camping stuff and got the cruise luggage. After the cruise I dropped off the cruise luggage and spent the day in the zoo. If you're driving down, that might be the way to do it.

I've thought about doing the glamping thing on Cockatoo Island (after seeing it on "The Block" lol). How long did you stay and what package did you choose?

We only stayed one night. Brought all our own stuff, so did the $45/night package. Just used it for cheap pre-cruise accomodation; arrived afternoon prior, setup tent, walked around, then slept. Got up next morning, walked around some more, took down tent, back to Circular Quay (I then took the camping stuff back to the car, else it'd have gone on the ship with us). Family of four, Harbour view, under $50 (well, more if you count the ferry), can't beat that in Sydney!

I went with Mascot Parking for $120 for 13 calendar days. I think next time I'll go with Wilson's at Harbourside; last I checked they cost $140 for 10 days, and $14/day after that. Looks to be very convenient if you're staying in that general area.

I would look at a wotif mystery hotel, most are in the CBD and I once got the Hilton for under $200. We stayed at travelodge Phillip st earlier this month as it was just $140 a night and it was a good room. We were scheduled for 2:00pm boarding but when we dropped our bags off at 10:30am there were no queues so we were in the boat in 15 minutes.

Hi, We are sailing on Celebrity Solstice on 4 Novembe 2013 and staying at a very reasonably priced (but small) hotel in city CBD, short walk from Darling Harbour and Chinatown. Was fully refurbished over 12 months ago and is Singapore owned. We paid $129 overnight for a Queen sized room. Probably classed as 3-4*. Short taxi trip to either cruise terminal. Check out their website http://www.cityhotelsydney.com.au/. Very good reviews on TripAdvisor too. When you go on their website hit the Online Booking button and it will show the very special rates. Of course at this price you do not have "views" but is a very central hotel for checking out the city CBD. (5 minutes walk).

Hi' date=' We are sailing on Celebrity Solstice on 4 Novembe 2013 and staying at a very reasonably priced (but small) hotel in city CBD, short walk from Darling Harbour and Chinatown. Was fully refurbished over 12 months ago and is Singapore owned. We paid $129 overnight for a Queen sized room. Probably classed as 3-4*. Short taxi trip to either cruise terminal. Check out their website http://www.cityhotelsydney.com.au/. Very good reviews on TripAdvisor too. When you go on their website hit the Online Booking button and it will show the very special rates. Of course at this price you do not have "views" but is a very central hotel for checking out the city CBD. (5 minutes walk).[/quote']

Some of group just booked this Hotel for Dec 2013 over Booking.com got a good rate for 4 adults for 4 days = $800AU odd dollars. cheaper than the YHA.

Our last Cruise we did WOTIF the mystery hotel was The Langham at Rocks for $220 a night - great deal

V:)

Hi

I take 30 -40 11 year olds overnight to Sydney on our way home from Canberra every year - (see why I need my cruise!) We have stayed at Woolbrokers and Aarons. Both central, family friendly and reasonable. Hope you find somewhere.

Marie

Luna Park is best got to by ferry from either circular quay #5 or Darling Harbour #3 at King St Wharf. The Aquarium is of course in Darling Harbour. The nearest, cheapest hotel is the Ibis at King St Wharf. It is brand new but like all Ibis hotels in Australia the rooms are tiny. Very handy to what you want, clean and comfy with plenty of places to eat next door.

Check it out on tripadvisor.

Finding accommodation in a hotel in Sydney cbd to cater for 2 adults and 2 children is very difficult. A lot of hotels will only allow 3 persons in total in room. Also the ages of the children can affect the booking.

We have used the Marriott, The Westin, and the Pullman (which I would not recommend). We got good deals on all of these, The Marriott was the most expensive one we stayed at, but was very nice.

Another hotel to consider near Darling Harbour is the Mecure, they have pretty good rates.

When I book hotels I always look at packages which includes the breakfast buffet. Eating out can become very expensive with a family.

The best deal I found was a small, boutique hotel next to Hyde Park at the corner of Castlereagh and Park. The rate was about $140 Australian. The hotel is Park8 and their rates vary by $100 or more depending on season and events. The location is very central (to both cruise terminals) and shopping. The staff is very friendly. During my stay I did report to the front desk that our room wasn't being cleaned properly and it did improve a bit. It wasn't perfect, but was good for the cost and location.

am travelling up the night before, myself and 2 children, want to be close to darling harbour/the rocks type area

Old Holiday Inn @ the Rocks is the best wander off to the Pancake manor for breakfast.

Stay over the weekend and check out the markets also has plenty of good dining options nearby.

http://www.wotif.com/hotels/holiday-inn-old-sydney.html

Best location just walk your bags down to the port which is about 300 mtrs away.

InterContinental Sydney is also good but not as handy.

First you need to define expensive as "expensive" is very subjective to many people and Sydney prices may be different to what others are used to.

Good luck finding something cheap in Sydney close to the CBD. It would help others if you name a budget per night so others can know where they have stayed and if it is expensive for you or not.

yes -- I don't think that the words "Sydney CBC " and "not too expensive" may be used in the same sentence!! :D

Barry

We Stayed at the Sir Stamford last spring. Had a good deal through the hotel website, $199 if I remember correctly, with dining room continental breakfast for $1 more. It was a Saturday night. We were also given an upgrade. From the ships moored at OPT you can see the back of the hotel - it's not a high rise - red brick, to the left of the Marriott. It was very comfy, large room, olde world style hotel with antiques etc all around. Very handy for the quay and directly opposite the Botanical Gardens.

but everything cheapish was gone from the recommendations given here, so we have gone sir stamford, price was very good considering $289 plus the $1 buffet breakfast so cant be too unhappy with its reviews and it being so close to everything we need, thanks for the ideas!

Archived