A few binocular questions

emeltee

This is our itinerary. When would we benefit from having our own binoculars:

Matanuska Glacier Hike

Seward Hwy DRive from Anchorage - Girdwood

PWS Surprise Glacier Tour

Harv & Marv Whale Watching (they provide binoculars, right?)

For sure, I know we'll want binoculars from the cruise ship and our self-drive up to the Yukon.

Now my second question is this: will these binoculars be enough for our family?

8-24x50

7x22 (are these good enough for the kids?)

8x23 (ditto?)

I have an 8 & 4 yo. I'm assuming that either DH or I will be taking LOTS of photos, so one will have the camera while the other would have the binoculars.

I can't answer if those particular binocs will meet your needs, but I do suggest that you ALWAYS have at least one pair with you. I have cheapos that I bought at a sporting goods store, 7x35 and they're sufficient for my needs. I keep them in my daypack ALWAYS .. you never know when you might need them and usually you're too far away to run back and get them. So why be sorry? Your kids are old enough to carry a small daypack ... they'll need a pack for their clothing layers anyway, hat, gloves, snacks, etc. The pack will add to their sense of adventure!

The only location on your itinerary where you MIGHT not need them is the Matanuska Glacier hike, but even then, why not just carry one pair?

I am never without binoculars, and if intent on seeing and doing the most, I would suggest you consider that as well. None of your binoculars are what I would consider good for me, but have you TRIED each of these out? What do YOU think?

I do find people "involved" with photography, having a Lot of potential missing out on the big picture, especially on the whale watch. A Camera's field of view is narrow, so also, take some time, away from the photography mode.

You have a 4 year old with you on the glacier trek? Guided? Tough call, if so. Hopefully, you arranged private?

I can't answer if those particular binocs will meet your needs, but I do suggest that you ALWAYS have at least one pair with you. I have cheapos that I bought at a sporting goods store, 7x35 and they're sufficient for my needs. I keep them in my daypack ALWAYS .. you never know when you might need them and usually you're too far away to run back and get them. So why be sorry? Your kids are old enough to carry a small daypack ... they'll need a pack for their clothing layers anyway, hat, gloves, snacks, etc. The pack will add to their sense of adventure!

The only location on your itinerary where you MIGHT not need them is the Matanuska Glacier hike, but even then, why not just carry one pair?

Okay, I'll keep a pair in the daypack.

I am never without binoculars, and if intent on seeing and doing the most, I would suggest you consider that as well. None of your binoculars are what I would consider good for me, but have you TRIED each of these out? What do YOU think?

I do find people "involved" with photography, having a Lot of potential missing out on the big picture, especially on the whale watch. A Camera's field of view is narrow, so also, take some time, away from the photography mode.

You have a 4 year old with you on the glacier trek? Guided? Tough call, if so. Hopefully, you arranged private?

The binoculars seem okay to me - but I've never used binoculars before, so I have no idea if they are sufficient for Alaska. I already know that i want to return one day, so I'll find out if I need to upgrade to better ones for the future.

The 4 yo will stay with Grandparents & Uncle for the day of the Glacier Hike. The advantages with traveling with family!

if you get ones that are too big they are not steady so you get a lot of shake but you will want to be able to spot eagles and whales.

if you do a search you will find quite a few threads mention some inexpensive ones you can get. The ones that the ship provides are just crap and will frustrate anyone trying to use them.

Just bought a couple of these for our upcoming cruise. Sounds like a decent one for the price. Read some good reviews on them as well. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Outland-8x42-Binocular-Black/dp/B004KM82IQ/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1366211104&sr=8-15&keywords=8x42+binoculars

Problem could be for some, these are NOT wide angle, which is vital, for any serious, marine wildlife watchers.

Just bought a couple of these for our upcoming cruise. Sounds like a decent one for the price. Read some good reviews on them as well. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Outland-8x42-Binocular-Black/dp/B004KM82IQ/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1366211104&sr=8-15&keywords=8x42+binoculars

Although we try to bring our 10X50 binoculars there are times that with everything else in the backpack they take up quite a bit of space. These Celestron’s have a great price and look to be more convenient to lug around. Looks like a good trade off.

I'm assuming that either DH or I will be taking LOTS of photos, so one will have the camera while the other would have the binoculars.

You’ll appreciate all the photos once you get home.

Archived