vegetarian options on Caribbean Princess?

nonprofitgeek

Hi y'all,

Travelling with an extended family group on the July 2-9 Western Caribbean sailing. My hubby and I are vegetarians (only ones in the group) and were wondering how they might accommodate us in the dining room. We both eat eggs and dairy, but noticed that most menu items are meat, chicken, or fish based. I suppose we could make do with sides and salads, but I'm hoping that the kitchen can whip up some meatless entrees, at least in the dining room.

Thoughts or experiences?

Thanks!

Rachel

I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but I've sat with people who are. There are several vegetarian offerings on the menu for dinner every night plus you can always request something prepared for you. Just let your waiter and the Maitre D know and they'll even bring the next night's menu to you so you can ask for a modification or even something repeated from another night's menu. Plus, the pastas on Princess ships are to die for -- they're almost always great. There's a special pasta every night.

Rachel,

I am vegan and do not eat meat, egg, or dairy. I had great service on the Golden last Oct, but only fair food service on the Sun this past April.

May sure you call Princess and they have you down as vegetarians. Your waiter/head waiter should help you with selections. You should be able to order the night before, while at dinner, for the next day. Make sure you ask about beef or chicken stock in things. They seem to think if you can't see flesh, then it is vegetarian. Many soups have meat stock bases....Also if you do not have traditional dining ask to be given a set time and the same waitstaff so they understand what you can eat and cannot eat.

Much of the Princess vegetarian food has dairy and egg in it. Lots of cheese. Even their salad dressings they call "vinigarette" are dairy based. Food buffet is hit and miss. They don't label well and even if you ask, you don't always get a correct answer.

But if you eat dairy, you should not have much of a problem. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

I do aks for the fresh veggies or side items I see coming out on the main meals of others and they are happy to bring those to you as well.

I eat a lot of vegetarian dishes on Princess...the menus you see posted online often don't show the whole menu...the left hand side of the menu shows the vegetarian options.

Most are very good...my fave is the ricotta and leek tart they have on Continental/French night. Plus, most past dishes they can prepare without meat. There's a dish on one of the nights, it's a pasta with pesto and green beans and potatoes that is to die for...I'm not sure if it's vegetarian tho as they may use a meat-based broth in it, but if that's offered on your cruise, ask, because it's definitely one of my all time fave dishes

I write this as a former 7-year vegetarian...Imagine your mother concocting things trying to make you happy...but unwilling to venture much beyond her basics.

That said, on Dawn Princess in December, we mentioned how much we miss spicy and ethnic foods while cruising...and the waiters arranged three off-the-menu meals for us, including a tasty curry indian vegetarian dish with brown rice....and a thai stir fry that could have been just as good without chicken.

So, do ask!

Don't miss the eggplant parmesan. I'm not a vegetarian and I always have this a my entree on the night they have it. Actually slip the maitre'd some money and see if you can have it every night.(MMMMMMM)

Archived