For those curious about current passport turnaround times...

I recently applied for a passport on April 8th. The check was cashed April 14th and I received an email with the tracking number on May 12th. Received passport on May 14th. 5 weeks door to door. I did standard processing and also found out it was sent to Portsmouth for processing. Interesting tidbit, if you don't register you email address with the application status website then you will not receive the tracking number when it is sent. This was for a new passport not a renewal.

I recently applied for a passport on April 8th. The check was cashed April 14th and I received an email with the tracking number on May 12th. Received passport on May 14th. 5 weeks door to door. I did standard processing and also found out it was sent to Portsmouth for processing. Interesting tidbit, if you don't register you email address with the application status website then you will not receive the tracking number when it is sent. This was for a new passport not a renewal.

Thank you -I did register my email yesterday. I was 7 weeks out when I applied. I need to allow time to get a new birth certificate just in case the passport doesn't get processed promptly....that takes about 2 weeks.

Trying so hard to relax about all this!

Can anyone tell me how much it costs to renew a passport by mail? Looking at the website I can't quite figure out what the actual cost is.

Never mind I finally figured it out !

Edited by MCAT48

• 2 weeks later...
Dropped my application off at the post office May 15th with normal processing and received my passport

May 31st.

did you get an email confirmation? I did mine through the county clerk office on 5/15, it was registered on the passport site within a week...oh how I'd love to find it in the mail box this week. I'm such a worrier!

I applied for a new passport on May 15th at the county clerk office [very small rural county] and yesterday it was "in process"

The website says 4-6 weeks...and I leave in 42 days...that is cutting it close. I am encouraged that I have a processing number and that the check cleared. I'd love to hear from anyone who applied for a new one recently - mine is in Houston.

Will they update the message when it mails or will it still say in process? I have to decide whether to order another copy of the birth certificate...

TIA!!

i mailed my renewal package out on 4/23 -- regular mail, routine processing. my sail date was 6 1/2 weeks away (this saturday!) and my coworkers said that they received theirs in 2-3 weeks door to door recently so i didn't think it would be a problem.

HOWEVER, i didn't get my passport until 2 days ago! it took almost a full 6 weeks door to door. i kept calling the passport office (surprisingly, the wait is only about 5 minutes long) and they didn't have much more information than what the website tells you.

the one thing i learned is that once it says "final processing stages", that actually means that they have mailed it out. mine said that for about a week before i got mine in the mail (priority, not sure if that is normal or if they rushed it since my trip date is near).

i will never cut it so close again. these past 2 weeks were very stressful!

oh, i am in new york city and the lady at the passport office said that my passport was being processed in new hampshire!

also, the lady on the phone said that if you are within 7 days of your trip, you could give your credit card # and they will look for your passport and do their best to rush it for you in time for your trip (no guarantees). i think you only have to pay the overnight courier fee of $15.

I submitted on 5/15 - and will need it by 7/2....I requested another birth certificate just in case the next week and still don't have that either. I have 30 days, I should not need xanax for this!!! I'll give it two more weeks before I really freak out.:rolleyes::eek:

I submitted on 5/15 - and will need it by 7/2....I requested another birth certificate just in case the next week and still don't have that either. I have 30 days, I should not need xanax for this!!! I'll give it two more weeks before I really freak out.:rolleyes::eek:

That should be plenty of time.

I originally submitted mine with 9 weeks to go, but was returned for a bad picture (thank you UPS store). They received my second round on 5/29, my check cleared on 6/2! I need it on 7/15!! Fingers crossed I have it by 6/29!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

today the message changed to:

Your passport application is in the final processing stages.

Your passport application locator number is xxxxx

When you applied, you requested Routine Service.

This means you should receive your passport on or about 06/11/2014.

And....

I'm doing the happy dance because we got an upsell to a balcony on the Westerdam to Alaska and my passport will be here and I'm so happy I could sing!!! My co-workers are really glad I'm not tho :cool:

Edited by Mytime2014

today the message changed to:

your passport application is in the final processing stages.

Your passport application locator number is xxxxx

when you applied, you requested routine service.

This means you should receive your passport on or about 06/11/2014.

And....

I'm doing the happy dance because we got an upsell to a balcony on the westerdam to alaska and my passport will be here and i'm so happy i could sing!!! My co-workers are really glad i'm not tho :cool:

awesome!!!!!!!!

My wife and I applied for our passports on April 21, and received them in the mail today (6/7). So that took 6 weeks and 5 days, for those of you that are curious about how long it's taking now.

Lee

My wife and I applied for our passports on April 21, and received them in the mail today (6/7). So that took 6 weeks and 5 days, for those of you that are curious about how long it's taking now.

Lee

Was this for a new or renewal? When did your check clear?

Yikes... This makes me nervous!

I applied for my passport on April 22 and they received it

April 29. I am still waiting for mine. I called and the lady

said for me to keep an eye on my status in the next few

days and if nothing changes to call back. She also said she saw

they were working on it but stopped which does not sound good to

me but she couldn’t tell me why. So of course this is making me

a nervous wreck. I leave July 6th and I'm afraid I will not have

my passport or a birth certificate in time.:(

Edited by TxWendy

I ordered an extra BC the week after I applied for my passport - I am in Tx but born in Indiana, so I went thru Vitalchek dot com and it is in the mail to me - I went for regular mail, but they can expedite it and send it overnight for an extra charge. I'll need it again in the future so the 20 bucks was worth it to me - {{ but then I got my passport and still don't have the BC!!!}}}

We are on our 6th set of passports.

DH needed to renew his - sent it in April 29. He just got his new one back on May 31. Never have we waited this long to get a passport renewed. They were quick to cash the check -- done on April 29.

Didn't even wait that long many years ago when we applied for our first passports.

I had to renew mine when we got home from a cruise the end of November -- got the new one in 10 days!!

Summer time trips usually takes longer since everyone is ordering in April to get it for June and July. I got my kids last year, their first, in February and it took less then a month. We had it for a cruise mid March ( though we could have used birth certificates).

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Was this for a new one or a renewal?

I ordered an extra BC the week after I applied for my passport - I am in Tx but born in Indiana, so I went thru Vitalchek dot com and it is in the mail to me - I went for regular mail, but they can expedite it and send it overnight for an extra charge. I'll need it again in the future so the 20 bucks was worth it to me - {{ but then I got my passport and still don't have the BC!!!}}}

Mytime, I too live in Texas hence my name but was not born here either. I was born in Pennsylvania and so was DH. DH couldn't find his BC so he mailed away for one through vitalcheck. He waited for about 4 weeks and found out vitalcheck is redoing their system or something like that. When he finally called they said they were 6 to 8 weeks behind. This was not going to work in order to get his passport. So to make a long story short he had to call his father who lives in Pennsylvania to go to vital records and get a copy of my DH BC and send it to him(he ordered 2 so in case his passport doesn't come in on time he will have his BC). I am not so lucky because I don't have any relatives who live in Pa anymore so I guess I have to wait. :(